Dual Boot

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Dual Boot
  • Partition
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
August 10, 2003 11:50:51 PM

If I install another OS to dual boot, would I lose all my data? Will I have to partition my hard drive? Thanks for any information.

More about : dual boot

August 11, 2003 3:37:16 AM

Can you give a little more information ?
What OS do you currently have installed ?
What OS's would you like to be able to boot to ?
How many drives are currently in your system ?

Duke

P.S. Not really sallyfields.
August 11, 2003 4:06:44 AM

No, with OS's like XP and 2k, you'll get a bootloader installed which allows you to choose the OS. Linux also has a bootloader.

The new OS won't have the programs installed from the old OS, so they have to be installed twice to use them in both OS's. The old OS will remain intact with no data loss.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Related resources
August 11, 2003 5:36:33 AM

Ok, basically, I have WinXP and I would like to mess around with Linux on the same hard drive in a dual boot format. I also don't want to lose any data or reinstall anything, can it be done? I also don't want to spend any money for partition magic or anything.
August 11, 2003 10:23:33 AM

have you tried FDISK?

<i>
"I'll Take A Quiet Life
-Handshake to Carbon Monoxide- Th.Yo."
</i>
August 11, 2003 3:38:59 PM

Some third party software will let you repartition your drive without formating and without losing data. Only heard of it, never used it, can't give out names. (yeah, I'm a pretty useless guy)

I had a much better usertitle but was caught trying to hack me a better one so I got my current title as a punishment
August 11, 2003 4:27:10 PM

no, does it partition your HD?
August 11, 2003 5:00:33 PM

FDisk can partition your HD but it also wipes out all data in that HD. If you don't want to loose them, try <b><A HREF="http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/" target="_new"><font color=red>Partition Magic</A></b></font color=red>. It lets you resize partition and create a new one without loosing data.
Although it is a very reliable software, it is always best approach that you should always backup all of your important data before proceeding with this procedure.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
August 11, 2003 5:05:19 PM

Quote:
I have WinXP and I would like to mess around with Linux on the same hard drive in a dual boot format.

If I remember correctly, Linux can repartition yours w/o loosing data on existed ones.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
August 11, 2003 7:06:30 PM

yeah, I would rather not spend any money for partition magic and would definatly not want to lose any data. Does the linux partitioner just come with the installation?
August 11, 2003 7:30:20 PM

I think it does. I once used Mandrake 8.0 CD, and it had DrakX partitioner that does the job. I don't know about the others, but it should be mentioned in their user guide (if you buy retail) or at their websites (if you download).

August 11, 2003 10:34:16 PM

1) Yes Linux comes with a boot loader and partitioning tools. The modern ones are really very good.
However, I do not remember if all Linux's lets you <b>shrink
an NTFS(XP) partition</b>. Anyone know?
Suggest you look up or ask if this functionality is available on the distribution of linux you wish to install.

Can you borrow partitioning software from a friend?
Anyone know of freeware utilities in case they are needed?

2) Since you are new to Linux and don't want to lose any data I'd like to make a suggestion:

<b>Either</b>
a) Find someone who has done it b4!
<b> Or </b>
b) get another hard disk (borrow from a friend)
and practice with an install of XP and Linux

The loving are the daring!
!