Sign in with
Your question

Can't boot up without inserting usb drive after changing partitions on laptop

Last response: in Windows 7
July 19, 2012 7:02:04 PM

Hello,

I'm having a problem with my new laptop. It came with 2 primary partitions: a 650 gb C drive (boot) and a 50 gb D drive (recover). Because the windows partition tool didn't let me reduce the partition size by more than 50%, I decided to use EaseUS partition master to do that. I made D drive logical and renamed it to F, made the C drive 200 gb and made a new 400 gb logical drive and named it D. Then I restarted the laptop and let the tool do its work. After this, the problem started. I couldn't get past the bios screen, and couldn't even tap F2 and F8 to get in the boot menu. When I inserted my windows 7 recovery dvd, I heard the dvd drive working, but nothing happened. When I plugged in a usb drive, however, the laptop loaded the cd drive and I could reinstall windows 7 from the cd. Windows works now, actually, even my old windows installation still works, but I still can't boot up without inserting the usb drive first. Can anyone help me with this? I haven't been able to find anyone with a similar problem to mine. The recovery drive doesn't work anymore either.

I'm terrified of doing anything wrong again and causing me to get locked out of the laptop completely.
July 19, 2012 8:59:15 PM

I managed to recover my laptop to the factory defaults, but I still can't boot up or access the bios without having the usb plugged in...

m
l
July 22, 2012 2:12:52 PM

If you can boot from the installation CD, you could try the repair option, and then follow the wizard to complete.
m
l
November 25, 2012 11:38:33 AM

yifski said:
I managed to recover my laptop to the factory defaults, but I still can't boot up or access the bios without having the usb plugged in...

Hi mate,

I have 100% same problem. Also had used same software and completed same actions with my laptop's HDD. Did you found a solution?

In my opinion there is something wrong with HDD structure after resizing C: and that's probably why even "bios/boot device select" freezes, because cannot read the original disk structure.

Please, if you've solved the problem, share your experience with me :) 
m
l
!