Tv tuner problem

ellisd5735

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2003
I have a ati tv tuner in my computer. It works great and all, but I have dual moniters and run the tv on the second moniter. When i load a game like couter-strike or warcraft 3 on the first moniter the tv goes black on the second moniter. Is there anyway i can watch t.v on my second moniter while playing a game on my first? By the way my first moniter is a 19 lcd screen and the second moniter is a 17 crt and they are both connected to my geforce fx 5900.

No.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Loknar

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2002
Hi,

I have the exact same problem. I'm trying to watch TV on my second monitor and play Warcraft 3 or Halo on my primary monitor but the TV goes blank. I'd just like to know if anyone else has any idea if I can do both or if the answer is trully no.

Btw, I wouldn't mind a solution such as playing the game in reduce quality to lower the load on the Video card if that would allow me to do both. I've tried playing at 800x600 but it had no effect. I'm just looking for ANY solution short of getting a real TV on my desk (which I don't have the space).

Thanks,

- Athlon XP 2200+, 1Gb RAM, Radeon 9700 Pro, WinFast TV2000XP Deluxe

A game like HALO you can forget about (resource hog, even at 8x6)

MOST cards have ALOT of trouble displaying both, and almost ALL of them have trouble displaying TV while gaming (which seriously ties up alot of the sytem resources).

Wanna do both, buy a Samsung (or similar) LCD monitor that has video in (Samsung has PIP). My experience is that many games (especially newer ones) won't play well with others. Even Matrox cards, (the kings of multi-head and TV-out) have difficuly in this area.

If others have different experiences, perhaps they can help you, but this was the case on my RageFury VIVO, and both my AIW cards (PCI and 8500DV), even when I had a seperate dedcated PCI video out (wanted to use it for system monitor on small LCD I had [which was going to go in the drve bays]).

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Loknar

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2002
Finally, I accidently stumbled on a sort of solution, if you can call it that. What I discovered was that the software that comes with the TV2000XP Deluxe doesn't like when the resolution changes while it's playing the TV. When it does, the TV window goes blank and its sound cut off.

So, to go arround this problem, I simply set my games resolution to be the same as my primary desktop. Therefore, when I enter the game, the resolution doesn't change and the TV keeps on playing on my second monitor. I've had this work with the Savage Demo, Warcraft 3 and UT 2003. I didn't try with Halo yet but since I'm playing it at 800x600 because it's slow otherwise on my Radeon 9700 Pro, I don't think I'll try running it and the TV at the same time.

Anyways, this is just in case someone else has the same problem. If you do, I hope it works in your case as well...

(Btw, I was using an Athlon XP 2200+, 1Gb ram PC2700, Radeon 9700 Pro, DX9, WinFast TV2000XP Deluxe, Windows XP. My desktop resolutions are Primary: 1152x864, Secondary: 800x600 and I wasn't getting much slowdown in Savage running at 1152x864. Keep in mind that a slower computer could have slowdown resulting in playing a game and watching TV at the same time.)

TRENDING THREADS