What GPS should I buy for my Clie TH55?

July 20, 2004 4:28:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I want to use mostly Mapopolis Navigator (v5) maps and would like to
have a GPS that will allow me to do route planning and tracking.

Any suggestions?

More about : gps buy clie th55

Anonymous
July 20, 2004 4:47:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Gary <gary_w1@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I want to use mostly Mapopolis Navigator (v5) maps and would like to
> have a GPS that will allow me to do route planning and tracking.

Doesn't matter. All the GPS does is send a position to Mapopolis, and any
GPS will do that. All you need is something cheap that can accept a cable.
The yellow Garmin eTrex or the equivalent Magellan will work just fine, but
you'll need a cable, since the bottom-of-the-line models don't come with
one. Pfranc.com has cables that work, and as cheap as you'll find, or you
can buy just the connector and make your own. I made my own, which charges
both my GPS and my Palm from a USB port plugged into my cigarette lighter.
You'll need it for long trips. If you have a Palm with bluetooth, a
bluetooth GPS is nice, because you don't have to have the cable, but that
eliminates most Palms. Also consider an external antenna. PC-Mobile sells
an active reradiating antenna that doesn't require a connector on the GPS
and which works very well. I put it on my truck roof, run the cable
through a rear window, and keep my GPS in a homemade mount in a cup holder,
and don't have to keep it in the windshield, while getting much better
reception than I would get from the GPS alone in the windshield.

If you want the GPS to do the routing, you can get a Garmin 2610 that does
that, for lots of money. But if you already have the Palm, then you can
get better features for about $200 total - $100 for Mapopolis and $100 for
the GPS. If you look around, you can find a cheaper GPS perhaps, but the
Garmin or Magellan will let you use the GPS without having to connect it to
the Palm for hiking, etc.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 8:04:48 AM

Gary wrote:

> I want to use mostly Mapopolis Navigator (v5) maps and would like to
> have a GPS that will allow me to do route planning and tracking.
>
> Any suggestions?

The cheapest solution would be a mouse GPS package from www.semsons.com.
The problem is that you can only use it when you have a car cigarette
lighter adapter to power it.

Next up would be a cheap Garmin unit (~$100 for an eTrex) plus cable ($70)

Next thing would be either a memory stick GPS adapter (~ $200) or a DeLorme
Earthmate (self powered mouse, also about $200).

Personally, if I could afford it I'd get the mouse (which is what I use)..
but then again I only use mine for in-car navigation. I've mounted the GPS
permanently to the roof.
July 20, 2004 11:15:57 AM

Stan Gosnell <fakename@fakeaddress.com> wrote:

> ... and any GPS will do that. All you need is something cheap
> that can accept a cable...

I had success with TH55 + eTrex + the right combo cable
(from PC-Mobile), but the same combination don't work
not with the Foretrex as GPS source....

> If you have a Palm with bluetooth, a
> bluetooth GPS is nice, because you don't have to have the cable, but that
> eliminates most Palms.

Not the TH55, which has bluetooth. But...

I have really tried this too, with a Fortuna ClipOn, and I cannot
recommend it to anybody, because I had so much problem of
bluetooth connection lost...

--
Sylvain Bouju
July 20, 2004 11:15:57 AM

Jon C <news@jonnythan.com> wrote:

> Next thing would be either a memory stick GPS adapter...

Really tested this solution? And where do you keep the
(necessary big) cartography files...?

--
Sylvain Bouju
July 20, 2004 11:15:58 AM

Sylvain Bouju wrote:

> Jon C <news@jonnythan.com> wrote:
>

>>Next thing would be either a memory stick GPS adapter...
>

> Really tested this solution? And where do you keep the
> (necessary big) cartography files...?

Mapopolis can't read map files from the memory stick anyway. It has to copy
them to the machine memory first, so it's kind of irrelevant. Mapopolis
maps are pretty small anyway.. I have no real problems storing several state
maps and most detailed maps for a 100 mile radius in main memory on my t615c.

I haven't tested the memory stick GPS (doesn't work with my Clie), but I
can't imagine why it wouldn't work as well as a CF GPS.
July 20, 2004 5:00:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I got a Haicom 203-E GPS off eBay for just over GBP50, including cable and
shipping. It was an auction but by a supplier that has loads of them, if you
see what I mean - not a special deal on a second hand unit.

Mike.

"Gary" <gary_w1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I want to use mostly Mapopolis Navigator (v5) maps and would like to
> have a GPS that will allow me to do route planning and tracking.
>
> Any suggestions?
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 8:31:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

syl_vain@bou_ju.net (Sylvain Bouju) wrote in news:1gh7njb.7eukot12f2pn6N%
syl_vain@bou_ju.net:

> I had success with TH55 + eTrex + the right combo cable
> (from PC-Mobile), but the same combination don't work
> not with the Foretrex as GPS source....

Does the Foretrex not use NMEA output? That is all that is required, but I
haven't looked at the Foretrex that closely to find out.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 8:34:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Jon C <news@jonnythan.com> wrote in

> Mapopolis can't read map files from the memory stick anyway. It has to
> copy them to the machine memory first, so it's kind of irrelevant.
> Mapopolis maps are pretty small anyway.. I have no real problems storing
> several state maps and most detailed maps for a 100 mile radius in main
> memory on my t615c.

No longer true. Mapopolis can now open the maps on the card. As for small,
my home county is > 6MB. A small rural county is pretty small, but who needs
the map there anyway?

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 8:51:09 PM

Stan Gosnell wrote:

> Jon C <news@jonnythan.com> wrote in
>

>>Mapopolis can't read map files from the memory stick anyway. It has to
>>copy them to the machine memory first, so it's kind of irrelevant.
>>Mapopolis maps are pretty small anyway.. I have no real problems storing
>>several state maps and most detailed maps for a 100 mile radius in main
>>memory on my t615c.
>

> No longer true. Mapopolis can now open the maps on the card. As for small,
> my home county is > 6MB. A small rural county is pretty small, but who needs
> the map there anyway?

That must just be the OS 5 version, right? Grr... that's an advantage I
don't have with OS 4, it seems.

Besides, it was just one of many options.
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 11:57:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Stan Gosnell <fakename@fakeaddress.com> wrote:

> Does the Foretrex not use NMEA output? That is all that is required, but I
> haven't looked at the Foretrex that closely to find out.

Yes, the Foretrex has NMEA output, and Garmin output too.
And naturally, it works serial OK with a laptop and some
GPS softwares, Mapsource being the first.

But there is a particular problem (I don't know exactly...)
with the serial connection with the TH & TJ serie of Clié...

--
Sylvain Bouju
July 21, 2004 12:55:14 AM

> But there is a particular problem (I don't know exactly...)
> with the serial connection with the TH & TJ serie of Clié...

So Sony didn't implement a proper serial connection in those models? No
wonder they had to quit selling them. Sony has always tried to be too
proprietary, for some reason, and has never been successful at it.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 4:52:51 AM

Stan Gosnell wrote:

> syl_vain@bou_ju.net (Sylvain Bouju) wrote in
>

>>But there is a particular problem (I don't know exactly...)
>>with the serial connection with the TH & TJ serie of Clié...
>>

> So Sony didn't implement a proper serial connection in those models? No
> wonder they had to quit selling them. Sony has always tried to be too
> proprietary, for some reason, and has never been successful at it.

I have the Clie t615C, and it doesn't have a "proper" serial connection.
The serial pins on the Clie connector run at a voltage too low to run
serial devices, but it works OK for attaching to computers.

I got around this by soldering together the "battery out" pin and the
positive data serial pin. Works beautifully, and took about 10 minutes.
July 21, 2004 5:57:32 AM

In <5lpof0dmctfqcs4enmsgi7hbsj9oggigkf@4ax.com>, Gary <gary_w1@hotmail.com> writes:
>I want to use mostly Mapopolis Navigator (v5) maps and would like to
>have a GPS that will allow me to do route planning and tracking.
>
>Any suggestions?

Check Delou.com for their mouse receiver. I have one rigged to my T|C. It was under $100 US plus $25 US for the power cord/cig. Works great. Mine included Streetfinder with maps too.

--
Best Regards,

David
C.M. Consultants,Inc
(Due to excessive spam I do not publish my e-mail address)
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 7:25:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Jon C <news@jonnythan.com> wrote in news:D 7jLc.76462$bp1.41682
@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

> I got around this by soldering together the "battery out" pin and the
> positive data serial pin. Works beautifully, and took about 10 minutes.

Yeah, sometimes you have to do a little engineering. I've rewired several
Palm cables, and gave up and built my own cables to attach my GPS to my Palm.
And my first, an M105, I wound up rewiring the cradle and making up a cable
so I could charge the rechargeable batteries without taking them out, because
the backup capacitor failed and all data was lost as soon as a battery lost
contact. How would I have ever survived without a soldering iron?

--
Regards,

Stan
!