Sign in with
Your question

Can you mix ddr3 memory

Last response: in Windows 7
July 19, 2012 10:05:40 PM

Hello,
I have a kid whom I am helping upgrade his computer. He had an hp with amd processor. The only thing he took to the new rebuild was a 1 TB samsung hd with a windows 7 64 bit os. In the new system we have a Asus P8 z77-v lx motherboard, a 600w psu, the intel Quad 7 3.4 with turboboost.This os system was running in hp system till removed yesterday. When th system was booted windows would not load , you could see windows start but would stop. we did a complete system recoveryfrom the hp recovery center but the same thing happens. Is this drive corrupt or am I missing something?
Thanks Dave

More about : mix ddr3 memory

a b $ Windows 7
July 19, 2012 10:10:05 PM

You cannot take a copy of Windows from an OEM system (HP, Asus, Dell, Acer, etc) and use it on a custom built system. It will not boot, as you have already discovered, should you manage to overcome that somehow, it will not activate. OEM copies of Windows do not have transfer rights, meaning they are locked to the specific hardware they are first activated on. So aside from the technical issues, it is technically software piracy.

You and/or your son will need to buy a new copy of Windows for this new computer.
m
l
July 20, 2012 5:46:22 AM

So ci-scott, what you're saying , is that everyone who puts in a SSD drive has to buy a new copy of windows....
Don't sound right to me.
One of you window gurus, needs to help dmack !
m
l
Related resources
July 20, 2012 6:00:48 AM

olpal said:
So ci-scott, what you're saying , is that everyone who puts in a SSD drive has to buy a new copy of windows....
Don't sound right to me.

He's right though, OEM copies of Windows work on one machine only.
m
l
July 20, 2012 6:25:56 AM

I thought that if enough of the system was the same, like it noticed you have same mobo/cpu combo or whatever, that minor part replacements would be overlooked. I know I certainly switched around hard drives with my oem win7 with my computer quite a bit.

edit

I may be wrong in the fact that I couldn't really understand what the op was saying, no you cannot take a hard drive with win7 installed on it and put it in a completely different computer setup and expect it to work/
m
l
July 20, 2012 6:46:24 AM

The OS is locked to the motherboard so you can't change to an intel board. You can upgrade the AMD processor, memory, graphics, hdd etc.. but not the motherboard
m
l
a b α HP
a b $ Windows 7
July 20, 2012 6:57:19 AM

dmackinnon09 said:
Hello,
I have a kid whom I am helping upgrade his computer. He had an hp with amd processor. The only thing he took to the new rebuild was a 1 TB samsung hd with a windows 7 64 bit os. In the new system we have a Asus P8 z77-v lx motherboard, a 600w psu, the intel Quad 7 3.4 with turboboost.This os system was running in hp system till removed yesterday. When th system was booted windows would not load , you could see windows start but would stop. we did a complete system recoveryfrom the hp recovery center but the same thing happens. Is this drive corrupt or am I missing something?
Thanks Dave

Put the HDD back into the old machine, sell it for what you can and use the money to buy a new HDD for the upgrade with an OEM version of Windows Premium 64bit.
Or create an installation disk with an ISO from here
http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/604...
Then perform a clean install of Wndows on the Formatted HDD. You can run it for 30 days without a licence (Just skip the Licence entering screen) which will give you time to shop around for an OEM Windows.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 20, 2012 4:21:33 PM

olpal said:
Don't sound right to me.

The OP is not simply putting a SSD into an existing computer, the OP is trying to use the HDD/SDD from an OEM computer in a new custom-built computer. That will not work for the reasons I outlined and others have reaffirmed.
m
l
July 27, 2012 3:07:19 AM

Thank all of you for you assistance. It is true you cannot transfer the oem win 7 op system due to trademark license problems i bought new op system and it worked perfect. problem solved. thanks all. :
m
l
!