Good DAW for an older Mac-itty Mac Mac

Last response: in Home Audio
July 26, 2005 6:11:58 PM

I've got an older Mac -- a "Beige" G3, 333 mhz -- and I've reason to
use it to record. I'm being lent an M-Audio Duo for an interface.
What's a good, solid DAW for this machine? It has OS 9 and OS 10
loaded. It's a bit dodgy with OS 10 running, even with maxed out RAM.
Probably need to stick to OS 9...
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 10:23:44 AM

Hi,
Stick to os9.2
Try to get a Digidesign 001, fill the thing up with ram, and stick in
an extra h/drive. Plugins for os 9 are easy enough to "find". I've had
a 001 for nearly five years now and it's paid for iself many times.
Regards
DS
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 10:25:52 AM

Logis Audio 5 will work really well on it, too. It's a steep learning
curve but as a DAW it's really excellent.
July 27, 2005 10:25:55 AM

Logis Audio 5 will work really well on it, too. It's a steep learning
curve but as a DAW it's really excellent.
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 1:28:46 PM

Is Logic Audio 5 a OS 9 thing or OS 10?...
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 6:50:33 PM

I have a Logic Audio 5 package in my house. Make me a fair offer and
it's yours. I don't really use it. Well never really did. It's the big
box package so it has (at the time) All the plug in's and soft synths.
It was an awesome deal.

cheers

garrett
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 6:51:53 PM

Oh yeah btw. It also will run on OS 9 and OS X.

cheers

garrett
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 10:11:40 PM

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 17:28:46 +0100, wedgeland wrote
(in article <1122481726.751120.13120@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>):

> Is Logic Audio 5 a OS 9 thing or OS 10?...

Both. The first OSX version of Logic was, I believe, 5.5, but that was also
available for OS9. In fact, OS9 was supported right up to 6.4.3.

John

--

yorkio65 at yahoo dot co dot uk
July 29, 2005 2:43:39 AM

In article <1122412318.076467.37920@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
"wedgeland" <brad.ulreich@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've got an older Mac -- a "Beige" G3, 333 mhz -- and I've reason to
> use it to record. I'm being lent an M-Audio Duo for an interface.
> What's a good, solid DAW for this machine? It has OS 9 and OS 10
> loaded. It's a bit dodgy with OS 10 running, even with maxed out RAM.
> Probably need to stick to OS 9...

You could run ProTools Free on it - the price is certainly OK. I rasn
it on my old iMac 400Mhz for a while and it was OK.

Cheers

--
Charlie

Make fun of my music here:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~puffin/mp3.html
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 7:32:47 PM

wedgeland wrote:
> I've got an older Mac -- a "Beige" G3, 333 mhz -- and I've reason to
> use it to record. I'm being lent an M-Audio Duo for an interface.
> What's a good, solid DAW for this machine? It has OS 9 and OS 10
> loaded. It's a bit dodgy with OS 10 running, even with maxed out RAM.
> Probably need to stick to OS 9...

I ran Jaguar OSX 10.2.8 on my 300 Mhz Beige G3 with no problems. OSX is
way more stable than OS9 will ever be, and more future proof. If you can
get
things working with OSX, you really really should. For starters, make
sure your RAM
can handle OSX. Get DIMM First Aid from Version tracker to test your RAM
for OS X compatibility. The evolution of the Mac OS has been very
interesting in
that, even with the same exact hardware, upgrading from OS9 to OSX and
even newer versions of OSX such as Jaguar to Panther, the same hardware
gets more and more finicky about RAM.

CD
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 1:00:46 AM

In article <zNuHe.19537$Kx6.3782@fe12.lga>,
Codifus <codifus@optonline.net> wrote:

> > I've got an older Mac -- a "Beige" G3, 333 mhz -- and I've reason to
> > use it to record. I'm being lent an M-Audio Duo for an interface.
> > What's a good, solid DAW for this machine? It has OS 9 and OS 10
> > loaded. It's a bit dodgy with OS 10 running, even with maxed out RAM.
> > Probably need to stick to OS 9...
> >
> I ran Jaguar OSX 10.2.8 on my 300 Mhz Beige G3 with no problems. OSX is
> way more stable than OS9 will ever be, and more future proof. If you can
> get
> things working with OSX, you really really should. For starters, make
> sure your RAM
> can handle OSX. Get DIMM First Aid from Version tracker to test your RAM
> for OS X compatibility. The evolution of the Mac OS has been very
> interesting in
> that, even with the same exact hardware, upgrading from OS9 to OSX and
> even newer versions of OSX such as Jaguar to Panther, the same hardware
> gets more and more finicky about RAM.

one thing to consider with Mac OS X and older beige G3s - as of
Panther, Apple has dropped support for those models. The oldest models
currently supported are the first-generation iMacs and the Blue&White G3
Towers (Apple's way of saying "we know best. Buy a new G5. Be happy!".)
You can run Ryan Rempel's XPostfacto bootstrap software to install and
run 10.3 to 10.4 (and the latest build finally fixed the audio in and
volume bug).

A few things I have noticed with OS X - while it will run on a G3,
it's actually best optimized to run on a G4 or G5 (Apple put in Altivec
optimization in OS X). Secondly, you'll get it to run much better if you
have as much RAM as possible, otherwise it runs sluggish (when I put in
1 gig in my G4 tower, that's when it really speeded up - IIRC at an
Apple seminar, OS X has built-in virtual RAM which you can't turn off,
but more RAM means that it won't write and swap to the main drive as
often.

Another problem will be that the newer DAW programs are designed to
work with newer machines with more horsepower than a stock beige G3 -
Cubase SE for example requires at least a 500 MHz G4 to operate properly.

I'd say for our friend to stick with OS 9.2.2 - it's pretty stable
for the last version. And he could pick up something like Cubase 5.1, it
currently goes for fairly cheap on eBay.

--
Dan Dreibelbis, Guitar Nerd - Better Living Through Home Recording
http://www.soundclick.com/dandreibelbismusic.htm