Sign in with
Your question

Computer powers off after a few seconds.

Last response: in Windows 7
July 19, 2012 11:55:57 PM

Ok, So I built a computer for a friend. I used the $500 build, found here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-pc-do-it-you... ,for my base. I kept everything the same except I got a core i5-2310, and a zotac GTX 560ti, instead of the ECS(due to mail in rebate).

It powered on initially fine. I installed motherboard drivers and video card drivers off the cds provided.

I rebooted once, and began running windows update. I noticed performance was slow. So I checked task manager and CPU usage was at 100%, and then it just turned off.

So i tried to reboot it, with no luck. I removed video card thinking that uses the most juice, and it still did the same thing. Reseated everything, put new thermal paste on cpu and still same thing. System turns on for 3-5 seconds then everything turns off. No beeps, etc.

Im kind of at a loss. I did think it was odd that the PSU was only 450w, and gtx 560ti says 500 minimum. Could that be the issue with the core i5 i threw in there over the celeron g530?

Thanks for any input or help.

Edit: some odd behavior I noticed. When I pressed shutdown. It said windows is shutting down, but the PC restarted. Though that was weird.
also tested with my 500w raidmax psu. No dice.

ALSO mods.. if this needs moved to another subforum I apologize. I just noticed this is windows 7 gen discussion. Thank you.
July 20, 2012 12:59:01 AM

Seems this problem was caused by the excess temperatures of CPU. You can enter into BIOS and making sure the temperatures of CPU are in normal range firstly.
m
l
July 20, 2012 1:10:50 AM

I feared temps. But I left it off for 1 hour and it did the same thing. I'm going to leave it off all night and retest. I also tried my working 500w psu. Same issue
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
July 20, 2012 1:24:50 AM

read the test on the march system with a i3 they use a 650 watts psu,also check all you cables and did you put the standoff between the board and the case
m
l
July 20, 2012 1:27:34 AM

Is it power off immediately or running slow first and then power off after you let it off? If it was slow down first, I think the problem still lies in the temps of CPU, or other system components.
m
l
July 20, 2012 1:28:46 AM

Yes. I put the standoff in. I figured the psu was too weak. I5 vs that celeron is a pretty decent gap. Ill try my 750w psu tomorrow.
m
l
July 20, 2012 1:30:10 AM

kissingman said:
Is it power off immediately or running slow first and then power off? If it was slow down first, I think the problem still lies in the temps of CPU, or other system components.

When PC is Completely off, I plug in psu and flip switch to on it turns on for 3 seconds, then powers off. No beeps.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 20, 2012 1:30:49 AM

when you put the 750 in check that nothing make ground to the case
m
l
July 20, 2012 1:34:40 AM

scout_03 said:
when you put the 750 in check that nothing make ground to the case

Ill try removing everything tomorrow then rebuilding with the 700w psu. Standoff is in, so all should be well.
m
l
July 20, 2012 1:47:50 AM

yarmock said:
When PC is Completely off, I plug in psu and flip switch to on it turns on for 3 seconds, then powers off. No beeps.

Which motherboard you are using now? Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D3V? If I remember rightly, there are no buzzer on this motherboard.
m
l
July 20, 2012 1:54:32 AM

kissingman said:
Which motherboard you are using now? Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D3V? If I remember rightly, there are no buzzer on this motherboard.

I will check manual. Hopefully the bigger psu is the solution.

Thanks everyone. I will report back tomorrow.
m
l
July 20, 2012 5:31:33 PM

**UPDATE**

I threw my 700w OCZ PSU in the system just now. Hooked up everything correctly. Made sure nothing is contacting the MB. Same result, power turned on for 4 or 5 seconds, then shut down. So its not the PSU. Im thinking the motherboard? Possibly cpu failed? Im open to any ideas before I start RMA'ing things.

**UPDATE2**

I disassembled, then reassembled. Everything is working fine now. Normal CPU usage, normal CPU temps, ran prime for 20 minutes, it got up to 88C, but no errors or reboots. Seems something must have been touching the MB. I pulled out the standoff I had originally put in, i read reviews of the case and it comes with standoffs, so the one that came with the MB might have been the issue. Thanks for all your help guys!

Thanks in advance.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 21, 2012 2:35:26 AM

the one you remove where touching the board and the case and made ground and create a short circuit, glad to read that everything work well enjoy your system
m
l
!