Sign in with
Your question

How do I tripple boot with 2 harddisks?

Last response: in Windows XP
May 22, 2002 7:10:36 PM

I have two computers: one is win98/winXP dual boot and the other is a stand-alone win2000. I would like to take the harddrive from the win2000 PC and put it in my other PC to tripple boot. Is that possible? How do I set the winXP or win2000 boot loader.

My failed attempt:
I had the the win98/winXP harddrive as the master and win2000 as slave. I edited the winXP boot loader as so:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
C:\="Microsoft Windows"

I spent several hours last night trying to make it work only to fail and I had to reinstall win2000 because it would not load once I returned it back to it's original PC.

Do I need to reinstall win2000 since I'm connecting it to new hardware?

XMAN

More about : tripple boot harddisks

May 22, 2002 8:24:42 PM

I'm not sure how to do a triple boot, but I can imagine that the time you've wasted trying to figure it out would be better solved by just clean installing Windows 2000. And yeah, it would be better this way so the hardware will be best detected.

Hopefully someone can jump in and correct me...

<font color=red><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A> - My Windows XP-based Website</font color=red>
Anonymous
May 22, 2002 8:36:06 PM

Reinstall 2000. If you attempt to use the install already exisiting on th drive from another system the user profiles and hardware profiles will not match your current system.
Related resources
May 23, 2002 9:28:56 AM

I always hear that a harddrive with an existing OS from one computer may not work if transplanted to another computer with different hardware. My experience has been that the OS boots, though the hardware (if the OS doesn't have drivers for them) will not be installed. A simple driver install (and driver uninstall for the ghost hardware) should do the trick. You should also update the chipset drivers, if the mother board is different.

Have you tried hitting the "esc" key while booting up? If you do this, you will be prompted to select which drive to boot from; the winxp/98 (dual boot) or the w2k (single drive). This is simpler than attempting to do a "true" triple boot. Also, it might be a good idea to select the default boot drive in the BIOS setup for the most frequently booted drive, so you don't have to always hit escape.

I, at one point, had winxp/98 (dual boot) and a win98 (single drive) "triple" boot. Since the w2k is a separate drive, this is the simplest way to go. However, all my drives were masters (I have four ide channels). Though, I don't think that the master/slave setting should affect the "bootableness" of a drive, this could be a concern. If you have another IDE channel free, try it there. Also, you may want to put the w2k as the master to whatever drive you may have on that IDE channel.

I don't know if it's possible to do a "true" triple boot, and don't think it's worth the trouble, unless you happen to know.

Quality is better than name brand, even regarding beloved AMD.
May 23, 2002 6:06:34 PM

I give up. If I connect the win2000 harddisk by itself, it tells me the ntoskrnl.exe could not be found and a bunch of other files. When I put it back to its original PC, it boots fine.

XMAN
May 23, 2002 6:26:49 PM

why don't you format (or completely erase) the disk first, then put it in the target computer as the only disk, then install w2k. After that, attach your other dual boot disks and do what I suggested.

Quality is better than name brand, even regarding beloved AMD.
!