Is there a way to uninstall Win7

rmagyar14

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
My girlfriends laptop had had problems after installing Win7; she can no longer use the wifi built into it and I find out this copy of Win7 is not genuine and she is unable to log into her laptop. I then thought of uninstalling Win7 and reverting back to vista because it has been an inconvenience. I went to the Microsoft website for instructions. After about ten minutes of going trough the steps to uninstall Win7 i read that "...there is no previous operating system to which you can revert." I tried doing it anyway but of course I didn't succeed. So I'm left wondering; is uninstalling Win7 and reverting back to Vista really impossible? If it is can I somehow fix this problem another way?

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Since Windows 7 has its own set of files, there is no way to turn it into Vista. The only way to uninstall is to restore the previous operating system, and the only way to do that is if the previous operating system was left on the drive after the installation.

If you formatted the hard drive during the Windows 7 install, the old files are gone. If you didn't tell the installer to keep the files around (it will ask you what to do with the old install during the setup), the files are gone.

Basically, it sounds like the files are gone. If this is the case, you need to install Windows Vista fresh to get Vista back.

flank21

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
I know some manufacturers like HP make a recovery partition on the hard drive. The recovery partition will allow you to do a factory reset to the operating system that came pre-installed on the computer. Doing so will erase your hard drive contents and install a fresh copy of whatever operating system to your drive.

If you don't have a recovery partition you need recovery discs. If you don't have recovery discs you can purchase them from the manufacturer. NOTE you aren't given a set of recovery discs with a computer purchase, it is up to the user to burn a set for themselves.

Hi :)

Your last sentence is incorrect...SOME Manufacturers DO give discs.... its around 50/50....

All the best Brett :)