Olmy

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2003
I am planning on getting a new computer sometime between the end of August and the end of September and had a few questions about SATA hard drive performance.
I currently have two choices about where to get my computer first being IBuyPower.com and second a wholesale website that I have used in the past to order all the parts I need.
Now getting to the point the wholesale website I ordered off of before offers almost all of the stuff I want to put in my computer (save for the videocard and dual channel memory which are a pain to find where I live) including a WD Raptor SATA drive, but offers no technical support. IBuyPower, however, sell Maxtor 80gig SATA drives but offers a warantee and free technical support as well as the fact that they load all my software. Now I have maybe used technical support 3 times since I got my current PC and can usualy troubleshoot hardware problems on my own, but that fact that it is available and the convience of not having to put it together or load any software is a plus.
My question is how does the performance of the Maxtor SATA drive compare to that of the Raptor SATA drive and is there any problems or issues with the Maxtor drive? (IE loud, hot, unstable)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It should perform identically to the otherwise identicle IDE drive. SATA doesn't offer better performance with today's drives, but the Raptor is a 10,000RPM drive, which makes it faster (still not benefitting from SATA, but not available in IDE).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
and 10k rpm drives are hotter.

<font color=blue>
My computer is <b>sooo fast</b>,
It finished <b>SETI</b> in <b>10 seconds.</b>
<font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
IN more ways than one!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Olmy

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2003
I am into building my own PC I have done so in the past including the one I am currently using. The benefits to me of building it myself is I get the exact parts I want and don't have to settle for generic parts (IE grafics card, I have my heart set on the Gainward 5600 Ultra Flip-chip card)
So what your saying tho is most SATA drives perform identicaly except for the fact that the Raptor is 10k RPM?

svol

Champion
Yes there is no single difference in speed if you run the same model at ATA100/133 or SATA150... the HD simply can't use the full bandwith these protocols offer.

Now the Raptor is only available in SATA form... and it is the fastest IDE drive available.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek:

Phalanx01

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2003
120 GB 7200rpm Serial ATA (SATA) 150MB/Sec 8Mb buffer & 3 year warranty for 130 Euro (About 147 US Dollar), is that a good buy? Or should I switch to the same capacity IDE drive?

Is it a bad thing if there is smoke coming out of my case?