Buying a Portable GPS

bgerber

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
Calvin Chu designs "GPS gadgets" for fun and profit. Join him as he looks at a number of currently available GPSes and expresses his opinions about them.

eaglevp

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Why didn't you include information on GPS's for Truckers/Large Recreational Vehicles?

They both have height and weight restrictions they need for routing their trips.

Eaglevp

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
I've been the happy owner of a Lowrance iWay 500C for several months now.

After suffering with the restrictions of laptop and pda gps devices, I was really pleased with the iWay. It's a great device, easy to use, and does everything you want on an automobile gps unit.

baldholio

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
I have one observation to make. Why do so many dedicated GPS systems use a landscape display format? Based on my experience of using a PDA and bluetooth GPS system in my car, one of the most important things to me is as much knowledge of what is going to happen on the route ahead. A portrait display is always going to offer more information about the route ahead, than a landscape display.

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I have one observation to make. Why do so many dedicated GPS systems use a landscape display format? Based on my experience of using a PDA and bluetooth GPS system in my car, one of the most important things to me is as much knowledge of what is going to happen on the route ahead. A portrait display is always going to offer more information about the route ahead, than a landscape display.

I partially agree, but it depends on the orientation of your map. If you're using a "2D birds eye" view, you may set it to remain "North up" which then it doesn't matter if you're portrait or landscape. But agreeably, most like to have their orientation to be "Directional" which is to orient the map around your facing direction, or to use a 3D view in other cases.

I have another comment, as a motorcycle user. I am pleased that the artile author is mentioning that they will be making a model for two wheeled users. This is a market which only recently has been tapped, and if a product is introduced at the right price-point, a lot of revenue can be had.

From a few of my fellow riders, we feel that for a motorcycle GPS to be a success, it needs:

1) Weather & petroleum resistant case
2) Touchscreen usable by gloved hands
3) Alternative handlebar buttons for simplistic control in lieu of touchscreen
4) MP3 player w/ EQ
5) FM receiver for both Radio Stations & Subscription Traffic Alert routing
6) 12 Satellite connection
7) Anti Theft Lock
8) Daytime Viewable screen

Optional

9) Optional "Skins" to match the look of the cycle
10) Optional WiFi for Points Of Interest

There are many other "wants" but these are what we feel would make it a success

Ram11

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
There is a big difference in performance/sensitivities ( read chipsets) of the various GPS mentioned and also performance...whats the use of style alone if one will not get you around in downtown locations and the other will? the Garmin 680/660/360 are great looking and very sensitive GPSs but the others???

peekaboo

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
The so called "Pharos GPS Phone" is in fact the Eten "glofiish" X500, already available in most parts of the world :)
Got mine about 6 weeks ago, very happy with it.