Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Floor makes cracking noise

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 6:30:13 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hi all,

A friend of mine (who's on a students' budget) is experiencing some
problems with the floor of the room he's recording in - It's made of
wood and making cracking noises when walking over it. Other than
re-doing the floor or putting some boards over it, what are his options
in solving the cracking problem?

Best regards,
Marc Brevoort
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 6:56:34 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

also, creaking often happens when a "localized" pressure (your foot)
goes over it.

think about this solution:
layer of 1/2" homosote on floor
carpet padding
carpet

the homosote comes in 4'x8' sheets at home depot. it's grey in color
and it's kind of like pressed together paper. it's often used to reduce
sound transmission in building structures.

when you step on the carpet>>padding>>big homosote slabs, your foot
pressure will be distributed over a larger area, making less creaks.
and any creaks going on will be reduced in sound by the
homosote/padding/carpet.
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 10:00:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

kleinebre <mrjb@dnd.utwente.nl> wrote:
>
>A friend of mine (who's on a students' budget) is experiencing some
>problems with the floor of the room he's recording in - It's made of
>wood and making cracking noises when walking over it. Other than
>re-doing the floor or putting some boards over it, what are his options
>in solving the cracking problem?

He can put down some carpet. The floor will still creak, but it won't
be as audible. Or he can mark out the places that creak with tape and
make sure not to walk there.

Replacing floor joists is not a fun job.
--scott
--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Related resources
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 10:25:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Try sprinkling some talcum power on the noisy bits...
Steven.


"kleinebre" <mrjb@dnd.utwente.nl> wrote in message
news:1122499813.371325.224680@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Hi all,
>
> A friend of mine (who's on a students' budget) is experiencing some
> problems with the floor of the room he's recording in - It's made of
> wood and making cracking noises when walking over it. Other than
> re-doing the floor or putting some boards over it, what are his options
> in solving the cracking problem?
>
> Best regards,
> Marc Brevoort
>
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 12:08:00 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Or hit a good specialty woodworking store. There are a number of
products made to try to take creaks out of wood floors. I have no
experience with any of 'em so I can't vouch for 'em; hopefully a
sufficiently good store will be able to tell you which ones have been
reported to work and which haven't. Note that most require that you be
able to access the underside of the floor, so unless he's on the ground
floor and can get to the attic he may indeed find that the simplest
answer is to tape off hazards, carpet them, find another room to record
in, or nail a pair of shoes to the floor so he isn't tempted to walk
around while tape is running.
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 1:49:03 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 27 Jul 2005 14:30:13 -0700, "kleinebre" <mrjb@dnd.utwente.nl>
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>A friend of mine (who's on a students' budget) is experiencing some
>problems with the floor of the room he's recording in - It's made of
>wood and making cracking noises when walking over it. Other than
>re-doing the floor or putting some boards over it, what are his options
>in solving the cracking problem?
>
>Best regards,
>Marc Brevoort

A few strategically placed screws into the joists below the
floorboards may be all that is needed.

d

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 5:17:31 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

kleinebre wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A friend of mine (who's on a students' budget) is experiencing some
> problems with the floor of the room he's recording in - It's made of
> wood and making cracking noises when walking over it. Other than
> re-doing the floor or putting some boards over it, what are his options
> in solving the cracking problem?

A 'cracking' noise isn't perhaps the noise I'd expect but suggests some
loose floor boards possibly. Fixing them more securely may be the simple
amswer.

Graham
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 5:19:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Joe Kesselman wrote:

> Or hit a good specialty woodworking store. There are a number of
> products made to try to take creaks out of wood floors. I have no
> experience with any of 'em so I can't vouch for 'em; hopefully a
> sufficiently good store will be able to tell you which ones have been
> reported to work and which haven't. Note that most require that you be
> able to access the underside of the floor, so unless he's on the ground
> floor and can get to the attic he may indeed find that the simplest
> answer is to tape off hazards, carpet them, find another room to record
> in, or nail a pair of shoes to the floor so he isn't tempted to walk
> around while tape is running.

" while tape is running. "

Those were the days !

Graham
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 5:19:15 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

> " while tape is running. "
> Those were the days !

Grin. You know what I mean...
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 10:42:22 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <42E8241B.2D36BEBA@hotmail.com> rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com writes:

> A 'cracking' noise isn't perhaps the noise I'd expect but suggests some
> loose floor boards possibly. Fixing them more securely may be the simple
> amswer.

There's probaby a word clock synchronization problem. <g>



--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 9:22:37 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Pooh Bear" <rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:42E8241B.2D36BEBA@hotmail.com...
> kleinebre wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> A friend of mine (who's on a students' budget) is experiencing some
>> problems with the floor of the room he's recording in - It's made of
>> wood and making cracking noises when walking over it. Other than
>> re-doing the floor or putting some boards over it, what are his options
>> in solving the cracking problem?
>
> A 'cracking' noise isn't perhaps the noise I'd expect but suggests some
> loose floor boards possibly. Fixing them more securely may be the simple
> amswer.

Unless the "wood" floor isn't really wood, but is a glued-seam laminate...
then I'd expect it to happen until all the glued seams fully break.

Carpet/throw rugs would be the easiest & most practical solution if that's
the case.

Neil Henderson
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 7:58:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Steven Sena wrote:
> Try sprinkling some talcum power on the noisy bits...
> Steven.
>
>

Some years ago I heard about this trick being a big help. They said to
spread the powder all over the floor and then sweep up. The talcum
powder will make it into the cracks. I've never tried it myself so I
can't vouch for it personally.

Peter
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 2:01:21 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Or if the spots are few and easily located, just pound a good size
nail into the floor. Works sometimes. Cheap.

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:49:03 GMT, donald@pearce.uk.com (Don Pearce)
wrote:

>On 27 Jul 2005 14:30:13 -0700, "kleinebre" <mrjb@dnd.utwente.nl>
>wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>A friend of mine (who's on a students' budget) is experiencing some
>>problems with the floor of the room he's recording in - It's made of
>>wood and making cracking noises when walking over it. Other than
>>re-doing the floor or putting some boards over it, what are his options
>>in solving the cracking problem?
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Marc Brevoort
>
>A few strategically placed screws into the joists below the
>floorboards may be all that is needed.
>
>d
>
>Pearce Consulting
>http://www.pearce.uk.com
July 31, 2005 3:34:50 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 27 Jul 2005 14:30:13 -0700, "kleinebre" <mrjb@dnd.utwente.nl>
wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>A friend of mine (who's on a students' budget) is experiencing some
>problems with the floor of the room he's recording in - It's made of
>wood and making cracking noises when walking over it. Other than
>re-doing the floor or putting some boards over it, what are his options
>in solving the cracking problem?
>
>Best regards,
>Marc Brevoort
>

Drill small holes in the floor at strategic problem points & inject
2-pack epoxy with a syringe??

Never tried it - just a thought..
!