drawmer dl 441 and behringer mdx 4600

Last response: in Home Audio
July 28, 2005 6:01:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

Has anyone used both the drawmer dl 441 and behringer mdx 4600 multi channel
compressors? I have a drawmer 241 and love it. There's an application
where I need 16 channels of compression and don't have $7k to spend on four
dl 441's.

With that in mind, has anyone used both the drawmer 441 and the behringer
mdx 4600 or if you've also used their 2600 (2 channel) and can compare it to
the drawmer 2 channel I'd appreciate it. It seems like the behringer is a
direct copy, probably with cheaper op-amps and the like. Does it sound 80%
as good? 30%? almost identical?

I'd discourage relating my question to other behringer gear...I know some of
it has been / is trash. I also have owned a couple pieces that are very
good.

thank you!

Marc
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 6:01:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

I've got a bunch of Composers (OK, I'll admit it), two in a live rack
for a rehearsal/cheese gig PA, one in a "B Studio" (other comps there
are a Symetrix 501 and a Symetrix 525), and then one in a biamped bass
amp rack.

I've got one DL241....and to compare it to a Composer is no comparison.

I can get the Composers to sound decent but it takes some effort to
find a sweet spot, the Drawmer on the other hand sounds good no matter
which way you turn the knobs.

So, I wish I had four more Drawmers instead of the Composers, they are
not close to being in the same league.

You might check out some used Symetrix four channel comps, they can be
found pretty cheap and are pretty good.

What do you need 16 comps for? That's a lot of compression...

Analogeezer

Mix Head wrote:
> Has anyone used both the drawmer dl 441 and behringer mdx 4600 multi channel
> compressors? I have a drawmer 241 and love it. There's an application
> where I need 16 channels of compression and don't have $7k to spend on four
> dl 441's.
>
> With that in mind, has anyone used both the drawmer 441 and the behringer
> mdx 4600 or if you've also used their 2600 (2 channel) and can compare it to
> the drawmer 2 channel I'd appreciate it. It seems like the behringer is a
> direct copy, probably with cheaper op-amps and the like. Does it sound 80%
> as good? 30%? almost identical?
>
> I'd discourage relating my question to other behringer gear...I know some of
> it has been / is trash. I also have owned a couple pieces that are very
> good.
>
> thank you!
>
> Marc
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 6:01:23 PM

Mix Head wrote:
> Has anyone used both the drawmer dl 441 and behringer mdx 4600 multi channel
> compressors? I have a drawmer 241 and love it. There's an application
> where I need 16 channels of compression and don't have $7k to spend on four
> dl 441's.
>
> With that in mind, has anyone used both the drawmer 441 and the behringer
> mdx 4600 or if you've also used their 2600 (2 channel) and can compare it to
> the drawmer 2 channel I'd appreciate it. It seems like the behringer is a
> direct copy, probably with cheaper op-amps and the like. Does it sound 80%
> as good? 30%? almost identical?
>
> I'd discourage relating my question to other behringer gear...I know some of
> it has been / is trash. I also have owned a couple pieces that are very
> good.
>
> thank you!
>
> Marc

I have used the MDX4600 and find it pretty good. The unit I did use lost channel one for an as yet
to be determined reason. However, it does what it does pretty well.

However, I will let you in on a secret. If you buy earlier Behringer equipment from the mid '90's,
it is of a much superior quality to the current stuff. And I would recommend you get the MDX2200
Composer Pro two channel model from that era. Less than a hundred bucks (used) and a very nice
little unit.

I agree that the Drawmer units are overpriced for what they do. I think that if you test drive a
number of units from different manufacturers, and are not afraid of used gear, just let your ears
tell you what works and you'll find what you're looking for.

--fletch
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 6:01:23 PM

Fletch wrote:
> Mix Head wrote:
> > Has anyone used both the drawmer dl 441 and behringer mdx 4600 multi channel
> > compressors? I have a drawmer 241 and love it. There's an application
> > where I need 16 channels of compression and don't have $7k to spend on four
> > dl 441's.
> >
> > With that in mind, has anyone used both the drawmer 441 and the behringer
> > mdx 4600 or if you've also used their 2600 (2 channel) and can compare it to
> > the drawmer 2 channel I'd appreciate it. It seems like the behringer is a
> > direct copy, probably with cheaper op-amps and the like. Does it sound 80%
> > as good? 30%? almost identical?
> >
> > I'd discourage relating my question to other behringer gear...I know some of
> > it has been / is trash. I also have owned a couple pieces that are very
> > good.
> >
> > thank you!
> >
> > Marc
> >

> I have used the MDX4600 and find it pretty good. The unit I did use lost channel one for an as yet
> to be determined reason. However, it does what it does pretty well.
>
> However, I will let you in on a secret. If you buy earlier Behringer equipment from the mid '90's,
> it is of a much superior quality to the current stuff. And I would recommend you get the MDX2200
> Composer Pro two channel model from that era. Less than a hundred bucks (used) and a very nice
> little unit.
>
> I agree that the Drawmer units are overpriced for what they do. I think that if you test drive a
> number of units from different manufacturers, and are not afraid of used gear, just let your ears
> tell you what works and you'll find what you're looking for.
>
> --fletch

I'll second that opinion on earlier Behringer compressors. I have an
MDX-4400 (4 channel Composer Pro) and two of the MDX-4600 units...I
find the 4400 to offer smoother compression albeit the 4600 sounds a
little warmer. I have one particular track that always kicks the 4600
into excessive compression (VERY noticeable) while the 4400 just keeps
doing its thing nicely. I'm considering selling the 4600s and
replacing them...

You don't mention it, but you could also look at the PreSonus
ACP-88...eight channels of compression/limiting/gating in a two-space
chassis. I have one and find it to be very nice, especially for the
price (less than $800 US...I know that's more than two of the MDX-4600s
but I think it's a better unit). My only complaint with the PreSonus
is that it doesn't have XLR inputs...only balanced TRS, but that's a
small complaint, since most of the time I'm using it as an insert with
TRS jacks/plugs. Would be nice to have the option of connectors
though...

Jim
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 7:20:31 PM

"Mix Head" <audiogear.no.spam@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone used both the drawmer dl 441 and behringer mdx 4600 multi
> channel compressors? I have a drawmer 241 and love it. There's an
> application where I need 16 channels of compression and don't have $7k to
> spend on four dl 441's.
>
> With that in mind, has anyone used both the drawmer 441 and the behringer
> mdx 4600 or if you've also used their 2600 (2 channel) and can compare it
> to the drawmer 2 channel I'd appreciate it. It seems like the behringer
> is a direct copy, probably with cheaper op-amps and the like. Does it
> sound 80% as good? 30%? almost identical?
>
> I'd discourage relating my question to other behringer gear...I know some
> of it has been / is trash. I also have owned a couple pieces that are
> very good.

I have used drawmer kit in the past, and behringer.
Although the drawmer kit is good, i find it overpriced, especially when
comparing it to the price of the behinger stuff.
Have a look at the two channel composer xl compressors - i would go for them
instead of the 4 channel ones.
aswell as the compressory stuff, there is also a de-esser and tube
simulator, and enhanser things.
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 8:30:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

"Mix Head" <audiogear.no.spam@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone used both the drawmer dl 441 and behringer mdx 4600 multi
channel
> compressors? I have a drawmer 241 and love it. There's an application
> where I need 16 channels of compression and don't have $7k to spend on
four
> dl 441's.
>
> With that in mind, has anyone used both the drawmer 441 and the behringer
> mdx 4600 or if you've also used their 2600 (2 channel) and can compare it
> the drawmer 2 channel I'd appreciate it. It seems like the behringer is a
> direct copy, probably with cheaper op-amps and the like. Does it sound
80%
> as good?

Nope.

>30%?

That's closer.

>almost identical?

Maybe...... in bypass mode. As always YMMV, in which case I'd sincerely envy
you.

Predrag
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 10:23:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

"Mix Head" <audiogear.no.spam@gmail.com> wrote in message
> With that in mind, has anyone used both the drawmer 441 and the behringer
> mdx 4600 or if you've also used their 2600 (2 channel) and can compare it
> to the drawmer 2 channel I'd appreciate it. It seems like the behringer
> is a direct copy, probably with cheaper op-amps and the like. Does it
> sound 80% as good? 30%? almost identical?

The 2 channel composer pros are every bit as good as the drawmers. I use 8
channels of them every day and have never had anything but great results.

Phildo
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 11:53:30 PM

"Predrag Trpkov" <predrag.trpkovNeSpamu@ri.htnet.hr> wrote in message
news:D caq5p$icn$1@ss405.t-com.hr...
>> With that in mind, has anyone used both the drawmer 441 and the behringer
>> mdx 4600 or if you've also used their 2600 (2 channel) and can compare it
>> the drawmer 2 channel I'd appreciate it. It seems like the behringer is
>> direct copy, probably with cheaper op-amps and the like. Does it sound
> 80%
>> as good?
>
> Nope.

Nope. Sounds every bit as good. I bet in a blind test you wouldn't be able
to tell them apart.

>>30%?
>
> That's closer.

Way off the mark. The Behringers sound every bit as good but also have quite
useable stuff like de-essers on them as well and cost half the price.

>>almost identical?
>
> Maybe...... in bypass mode. As always YMMV, in which case I'd sincerely
> envy
> you.

I suggest you blind test the current Behringer composer pros against the
drawmers. You will be very surprised.

Phildo
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 11:56:22 PM

"Phildo" <Phil@phildo.net> wrote in message

> "Mix Head" <audiogear.no.spam@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > With that in mind, has anyone used both the drawmer 441 and the
behringer
> > mdx 4600 or if you've also used their 2600 (2 channel) and can compare
it
> > to the drawmer 2 channel I'd appreciate it. It seems like the behringer
> > is a direct copy, probably with cheaper op-amps and the like. Does it
> > sound 80% as good? 30%? almost identical?
>
> The 2 channel composer pros are every bit as good as the drawmers. I use 8
> channels of them every day and have never had anything but great results.
>
> Phildo

i have to agree with you, and the rest that have said the same thing.

I've used all the units mentioned from time to time although my rack
contains the 4600's and 2600's. There is nothing i could improve with them.

I've said it before, these particualr behrigner units are really good units.
the price is a bonus!

Rob
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 12:28:20 AM

Mix Head <audiogear.no.spam@gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone used both the drawmer dl 441 and behringer mdx 4600 multi channel
> compressors? I have a drawmer 241 and love it. There's an application
> where I need 16 channels of compression and don't have $7k to spend on four
> dl 441's.

Check the Presonus ACP88 - works fine for me and saves a lot of
rackspace. It would something in between the two, the Behringer is too
slow (for me). Of course the ACP88 is not to be considered as high end,
but for live it should be ok.

> I'd discourage relating my question to other behringer gear...I know some of
> it has been / is trash. I also have owned a couple pieces that are very
> good.

Yes, but there is only one decent compressor from Behringer, the
Combinator.

BR, Daniel

--
The Dilithium Crystals need to be rotated.
Anonymous

> "Predrag Trpkov" <predrag.trpkovNeSpamu@ri.htnet.hr> wrote in message
> news:D caq5p$icn$1@ss405.t-com.hr...
> >> With that in mind, has anyone used both the drawmer 441 and the
behringer
> >> mdx 4600 or if you've also used their 2600 (2 channel) and can compare
it
> >> the drawmer 2 channel I'd appreciate it. It seems like the behringer
is
> >> direct copy, probably with cheaper op-amps and the like. Does it sound
> > 80%
> >> as good?
> >
> > Nope.
>
> Nope. Sounds every bit as good. I bet in a blind test you wouldn't be able
> to tell them apart.
>
> >>30%?
> >
> > That's closer.
>
> Way off the mark. The Behringers sound every bit as good but also have
quite
> useable stuff like de-essers on them as well and cost half the price.
>
> >>almost identical?
> >
> > Maybe...... in bypass mode. As always YMMV, in which case I'd sincerely
> > envy
> > you.
>
> I suggest you blind test the current Behringer composer pros against the
> drawmers. You will be very surprised.
>
> Phildo

I just noticed that this was crossposted and the OP didn't make himself
clear whether he intended to use the compressors for recording or live
sound. Just what he hoped to achieve by that isn't quite clear to me.

I've used both compressors in the studio only and for me there's no contest.
But then, I also do complex and/or aggressive stuff with compressors that
probably wouldn't be suitable in a live setting. Nevertheless, light or
heavy, fast or slow, this or that - it does get subtle at times, but the
Drawmer does good things to the sound quite often, while the Behringer
invariably makes more damage than good.

I can imagine you hearing no difference in a live setting, it's an entirely
different game. I can't, however, say that I envy you.

Predrag
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 6:54:13 AM

"Daniel Hojka" <drums@sbox.tugraz.at> wrote in message
> Mix Head <audiogear.no.spam@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Has anyone used both the drawmer dl 441 and behringer mdx 4600 multi
channel
> > compressors? I have a drawmer 241 and love it. There's an application
> > where I need 16 channels of compression and don't have $7k to spend on
four
> > dl 441's.
>
> Check the Presonus ACP88 - works fine for me and saves a lot of
> rackspace. It would something in between the two, the Behringer is too
> slow (for me). Of course the ACP88 is not to be considered as high end,
> but for live it should be ok.
>
> > I'd discourage relating my question to other behringer gear...I know
some of
> > it has been / is trash. I also have owned a couple pieces that are very
> > good.
>
> Yes, but there is only one decent compressor from Behringer, the
> Combinator.

It was a (stereo) multiband limiter actually. One of Behringer's rare
semi-original designs.

It had its uses, but didn't remain long in the production. Behringer don't
like to confuse the buying public with original products.

Predrag
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 9:51:12 AM

Predrag Trpkov <predrag.trpkovNeSpamu@ri.htnet.hr> wrote:

> It was a (stereo) multiband limiter actually. One of Behringer's rare
> semi-original designs.

For me there is no real difference between limiting and compressing,
they're to close together.

> It had its uses, but didn't remain long in the production. Behringer don't
> like to confuse the buying public with original products.

8)

Regards, Daniel

--
evil hackers from Serbia.
Anonymous

Predrag Trpkov <predrag.trpkovNeSpamu@ri.htnet.hr> wrote:

> It was a (stereo) multiband limiter actually. One of Behringer's rare
> semi-original designs.

For me there is no real difference between limiting and compressing,
they're too close together. Some so called compressors are quick enough
to act as a limiter (160S) and some limiters (1176) are used for
extensive compression...

> It had its uses, but didn't remain long in the production. Behringer don't
> like to confuse the buying public with original products.

8) And of course they had to work on their outsourcing to china.

Regards, Daniel

--
electro-magnetic pulses from French above ground nuke testing.
Anonymous

Phildo wrote:
> "Mix Head" <audiogear.no.spam@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > With that in mind, has anyone used both the drawmer 441 and the behringer
> > mdx 4600 or if you've also used their 2600 (2 channel) and can compare it
> > to the drawmer 2 channel I'd appreciate it. It seems like the behringer
> > is a direct copy, probably with cheaper op-amps and the like. Does it
> > sound 80% as good? 30%? almost identical?
>
> The 2 channel composer pros are every bit as good as the drawmers. I use 8
> channels of them every day and have never had anything but great results.
>
> Phildo

I beg to differ, I've had them in the same rack and put them on the
same track...the Behrs were "ok" but dulled the highs at less extreme
settings and I had a hard time getting lots of compression without them
dulling the attack as well, not matter what the settings. I have three
MDX-2100's and one MDX2200, I actually prefer the 2100's although some
of the extra controls on the 2200 are nice.

There is a reason they (the Behrs) got rotated out to a live rack and
my B room, they just don't sound as good and don't have as wide of a
range of control while still sounding decent.

Glad you like your eight channels of them, they are pretty useful for
live work when you don't want to drop a lot of $$$ on comps, which is
more or less what the OP wants to do.

Analogeezer
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 2:18:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

This is pretty much what I found too...which is why they are in my live
rack and B room.

Analogeezer
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 3:22:31 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

"Mix Head" <audiogear.no.spam@gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone used both the drawmer dl 441 and behringer mdx 4600 multi
> channel compressors? I have a drawmer 241 and love it. There's an
> application where I need 16 channels of compression and don't have
> $7k to spend on four dl 441's.

I haven't used the Behringer, but have you considered the RNC? At under
$200 per channel (half that when you have stereo pairs) they're cheap,
and at three per rack space they're still pretty space efficient.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 5:59:21 PM

Mix Head wrote:
> Has anyone used both the drawmer dl 441 and behringer mdx 4600 multi channel
> compressors? I have a drawmer 241 and love it. There's an application
> where I need 16 channels of compression and don't have $7k to spend on four
> dl 441's.

You owe it to yourself to check out the Rane C4...one of the great
"undiscovered" pieces of equipment. They list for $1200, but are
usually
available new for around $600. Here's a review...

http://livesoundint.com/archives/2005/jan/testdrive.pdf

--------------->Denny
--
Life begins at 60...1.060, that is.
Anonymous

Mix Head wrote:
> Has anyone used both the drawmer dl 441 and behringer mdx 4600 multi channel
> compressors? I have a drawmer 241 and love it. There's an application
> where I need 16 channels of compression and don't have $7k to spend on four
> dl 441's.
>
> With that in mind, has anyone used both the drawmer 441 and the behringer
> mdx 4600 or if you've also used their 2600 (2 channel) and can compare it to
> the drawmer 2 channel I'd appreciate it. It seems like the behringer is a
> direct copy, probably with cheaper op-amps and the like. Does it sound 80%
> as good? 30%? almost identical?
>
> I'd discourage relating my question to other behringer gear...I know some of
> it has been / is trash. I also have owned a couple pieces that are very
> good.
>
> thank you!
>
> Marc

The Behringer uses NJM 4580 op amps and THAT 2180 VCAs, thats not a
significant part of the cost equation, the Behringer is cheaper for
reasons of volume.
Drawmer componentry isn't any different, they use THAT VCAs too, but the
control circuitry may vary.
The badge makes a big difference to what you hear.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 6:52:24 PM

"shannon" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message news:42e999e7$1@clear.net.nz...

> Drawmer componentry isn't any different, they use THAT VCAs too,

Isn't it outrageous? Behringer should do something to protect their
intellectual rights.

but the
> control circuitry may vary.

As may your mileage....

> The badge makes a big difference to what you hear.

There are many things that make difference between the studio and live
environment.

Predrag
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 6:52:24 PM

> The Behringer uses NJM 4580 op amps and THAT 2180 VCAs,
> thats not a significant part of the cost equation, the
> Behringer is cheaper for reasons of volume.

It might be pointed out that the THAT 2180 comes in three
letter-suffixed models, whose nonlinear distortion varies
over a 6:1 range.

http://www.thatcorp.com/2180spec.html

Does Behringer use the higher-distortion "C" model that
costs less than half as much as the "A" model?

I'd bet money that Drawmer uses the lowest-distortion "A"
model THAT part. Don't know about Behringer.

> Drawmer componentry isn't any different, they use THAT
> VCAs too, but the control circuitry may vary.

Similar situation with the op amps. I'd expect Drawmer to
use 5532 or better, maybe far more costly parts like OPA27s.
Since you seem to have information from inside the box, I'm
interested.

> The badge makes a big difference to what you hear.

I'm not saying that these issues will translate into
mind-blowing audible differences in actual use. But, some
people have comfort zones for such things.
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 1:34:43 AM

<analogeezer@aerosolkings.com> wrote in message

> Phildo wrote:
>> "Mix Head" <audiogear.no.spam@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > With that in mind, has anyone used both the drawmer 441 and the
>> > behringer
>> > mdx 4600 or if you've also used their 2600 (2 channel) and can compare
>> > it
>> > to the drawmer 2 channel I'd appreciate it. It seems like the
>> > behringer
>> > is a direct copy, probably with cheaper op-amps and the like. Does it
>> > sound 80% as good? 30%? almost identical?
>>
>> The 2 channel composer pros are every bit as good as the drawmers. I use
>> 8
>> channels of them every day and have never had anything but great results.
>>
>> Phildo
>
> I beg to differ, I've had them in the same rack and put them on the
> same track...the Behrs were "ok" but dulled the highs at less extreme
> settings and I had a hard time getting lots of compression without them
> dulling the attack as well, not matter what the settings. I have three
> MDX-2100's and one MDX2200, I actually prefer the 2100's although some
> of the extra controls on the 2200 are nice.

Never had those problems but then I use them in a live setting, just to
squash the luvvies a bit and catch the whoops and yells during some of the
more energetic dance routines. Adds a lot of energy to the shows but is a
nightmare when they nearly blow the speakers so I brought in some comps to
tame them.

> Glad you like your eight channels of them, they are pretty useful for
> live work when you don't want to drop a lot of $$$ on comps, which is
> more or less what the OP wants to do.

They do exactly what I ask of them and at that price they are pretty much
disposable (I'm leaving them on the ship when I move on). Never had any
audio quality issues with them. In a studio you may be able to tell the
difference, in the middle of a show they are every bit as good as the
drawmers, more versatile (de-essers, tube sims etc) and half the price.

Phildo
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 3:07:43 AM

Predrag Trpkov wrote:
> "shannon" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message news:42e999e7$1@clear.net.nz...
>

>>Drawmer componentry isn't any different, they use THAT VCAs too,
>

> Isn't it outrageous? Behringer should do something to protect their
> intellectual rights.

Just answering the OPs query about cheap components, why the sarcasm ?
Ah yes, the badge again.
Just can't keep that knee from jerking eh ?
The RNC uses the same VCA as well.
!