Anyone got the scoop on this Omnicraft mic (AKG D12e copy)..

Last response: in Home Audio
July 28, 2005 6:11:54 PM

Harvey Gerst <hargerst@airmail.net> wrote:
>TheBenevolentUniversePremise@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item...
>
>Very bad, very cheap copy of the shell. Guts are totally different.
>Terrible mic. Run away!

I _think_ this is the clone that the Ningbo factory in China was selling,
but who is Omnicraft and where are they selling them?
--scott

Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 6:11:55 PM

kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>Harvey Gerst <hargerst@airmail.net> wrote:
>>TheBenevolentUniversePremise@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item...
>>
>>Very bad, very cheap copy of the shell. Guts are totally different.
>>Terrible mic. Run away!
>
>I _think_ this is the clone that the Ningbo factory in China was selling,
>but who is Omnicraft and where are they selling them?
>--scott

Scott,

The mic in the picture is NOT a clone of the D12e. They may have made a
shell that looks "similar" to the D12, but it's nothing like the
original - at least, not the one I heard at a small music store here in
Texas. They wanted around $80 for that one. I wouldn't have spent $10
for it after hearing it.

Harvey Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
http://www.ITRstudio.com/
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 6:35:09 PM

Harvey Gerst <hargerst@airmail.net> wrote:
>kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>>Harvey Gerst <hargerst@airmail.net> wrote:

>>>Very bad, very cheap copy of the shell. Guts are totally different.
>>>Terrible mic. Run away!
>>
>>I _think_ this is the clone that the Ningbo factory in China was selling,
>>but who is Omnicraft and where are they selling them?
>
>The mic in the picture is NOT a clone of the D12e. They may have made a
>shell that looks "similar" to the D12, but it's nothing like the
>original - at least, not the one I heard at a small music store here in
>Texas. They wanted around $80 for that one. I wouldn't have spent $10
>for it after hearing it.

A number of the Chinese factories make clones that are really only clones
of the case. For example, the 797 plant sells something that looks just
like a Sennheiser 421, except that it has a large diaphagm condenser
capsule inside and it's a side-address.

The Ningbo guys sell a whole line of different microphones that look just
like standard types, but they all have the same (pretty bad) cardioid
dynamic element inside. Effectively they are all the same microphone with
different styling.
--scott