high quality 1x2 digital audio AB switch?

Last response: in Home Audio
July 28, 2005 3:48:09 PM

I've got a situation where I need to route the S/PDIF output of a
Meridian preamp/processor to one of two different destinations. Can't
go to both simultaneously, so a DA won't work; has to select between
Output A and Output B.

Also need to be able to switch between these two outputs remotely,
either via RS-232, 12v trigger, or infrared. And, irrespective of any
alleged or imagined sonic benefits, I'd like to use something whose
build quality is commensurate with a $9000 Meridian preamp/processor.

Any suggestions? I've been Googling all morning & can't find anything
specifically designed to do this. (Closest I came was a Niles AVS-2,
which is a little $75 gadget for routing composite video but which
ought to pass S/PDIF. Just can't bring myself to pass the output of a
$9000 preamp through a $75 switcher.)

Ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 5:44:18 PM

On 28 Jul 2005 11:48:09 -0700, "Roscoe East" <roscoeeast@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>which is a little $75 gadget for routing composite video but which
>ought to pass S/PDIF. Just can't bring myself to pass the output of a
>$9000 preamp through a $75 switcher.)
>
>Ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If you shop around, you could probable pay more, (they may have
appropriately priced cables too)

Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
@/
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 7:15:32 PM

Roscoe East <roscoeeast@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I've got a situation where I need to route the S/PDIF output of a
>Meridian preamp/processor to one of two different destinations. Can't
>go to both simultaneously, so a DA won't work; has to select between
>Output A and Output B.
>
>Also need to be able to switch between these two outputs remotely,
>either via RS-232, 12v trigger, or infrared. And, irrespective of any
>alleged or imagined sonic benefits, I'd like to use something whose
>build quality is commensurate with a $9000 Meridian preamp/processor.

How about a simple 75 ohm SPDT coaxial relay? Not exactly high tech, but it
will work just fine. Apply 12V and it disables output A in favor of
output B.

http://www.teledynerelays.com/pressreleases/ccr-33mpr.a...

>Any suggestions? I've been Googling all morning & can't find anything
>specifically designed to do this. (Closest I came was a Niles AVS-2,
>which is a little $75 gadget for routing composite video but which
>ought to pass S/PDIF. Just can't bring myself to pass the output of a
>$9000 preamp through a $75 switcher.)

I would bet that Graham-Patten probably mkaes a more expensive device
like the AVS-2.
--scott
July 28, 2005 9:19:49 PM

"Roscoe East" <roscoeeast@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I've got a situation where I need to route the S/PDIF
> output of a Meridian preamp/processor to one of two
> different destinations. Can't go to both simultaneously,
> so a DA won't work; has to select between Output A and
> Output B.

Just for grins please explain why you can't drive both
outputs at the same time. Seems like a pretty rare situation
where you couldn't.
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 10:07:36 PM

In article <1122576489.463600.147230@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> roscoeeast@yahoo.com writes:

> I've got a situation where I need to route the S/PDIF output of a
> Meridian preamp/processor to one of two different destinations. Can't
> go to both simultaneously, so a DA won't work; has to select between
> Output A and Output B.
>
> Also need to be able to switch between these two outputs remotely,

Dow-Key is the grandaddy of coax relays. You should be able to find
something here: http://tinyurl.com/dsu3o

Coax relays show up at hamfests all the time for $25 or so, mostly
with UHF connectors, which aren't recommended for use above 300 MHz,
but I think that it will be a long time before you have sample rates
high enough to have frequency components up into that range.

July 28, 2005 11:30:18 PM

On 28 Jul 2005 15:15:32 -0400, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>How about a simple 75 ohm SPDT coaxial relay? Not exactly high tech, but it
>will work just fine. Apply 12V and it disables output A in favor of
>output B.

How about this?

http://www.broadcasttools.com/view_product.asp?productI...

Maybe a compromise between a raw relay and a really expensive device.
I've installed 6 and they are quite reliable.

Julian
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 11:36:51 PM

Maybe Mr. Little can help. Hi build quality is awesome and he does custom
work. Check out his digital distro :
http://www.littlelabs.com/digirr.html

Best of luck!

--
John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com

"Roscoe East" <roscoeeast@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've got a situation where I need to route the S/PDIF output of a
> Meridian preamp/processor to one of two different destinations. Can't
> go to both simultaneously, so a DA won't work; has to select between
> Output A and Output B.
>
> Also need to be able to switch between these two outputs remotely,
> either via RS-232, 12v trigger, or infrared. And, irrespective of any
> alleged or imagined sonic benefits, I'd like to use something whose
> build quality is commensurate with a $9000 Meridian preamp/processor.
>
> Any suggestions? I've been Googling all morning & can't find anything
> specifically designed to do this. (Closest I came was a Niles AVS-2,
> which is a little $75 gadget for routing composite video but which
> ought to pass S/PDIF. Just can't bring myself to pass the output of a
> $9000 preamp through a $75 switcher.)
>
> Ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 7:00:40 AM

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 17:19:49 -0400, "Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com>
wrote:

>> I've got a situation where I need to route the S/PDIF
>> output of a Meridian preamp/processor to one of two
>> different destinations. Can't go to both simultaneously,
>> so a DA won't work; has to select between Output A and
>> Output B.
>
>Just for grins please explain why you can't drive both
>outputs at the same time. Seems like a pretty rare situation
>where you couldn't.

Especially an app that doesn't include its own input
switching. Curiouser and curiouser...

But then, the world is ultimately unknowable, or is it?

Chris Hornbeck
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 9:29:01 AM

Arny Krueger wrote:
> "Roscoe East" <roscoeeast@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> > I've got a situation where I need to route the S/PDIF
> > output of a Meridian preamp/processor to one of two
> > different destinations. Can't go to both simultaneously,
> > so a DA won't work; has to select between Output A and
> > Output B.
>
> Just for grins please explain why you can't drive both
> outputs at the same time. Seems like a pretty rare situation
> where you couldn't.

Think about what I wrote: it's not both Outputs, it's both Inputs that
I can't drive simultaneously. So I have to route a single output
selectively between one of two different inputs, but not both
simultaneously.

The inputs here are both Meridian DSP digital active speakers. It's as
if we had two pairs of speakers in two separate zones. Except, in this
case, the two zones are both in the same room! Having the signal routed
to both pairs of speakers simultaneously would completely corrupt
imaging, etc.

I suppose I could find a way to remotely power on/off each pair of
active speakers so that I just turn off the amps rather than disable
the input to the unused pair of speakers. But I thought (foolishly,
apparently, as no one's come up with a solution that fits the mandate)
that a swanky S/PDIF AB selector switch would be a common item.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 12:50:20 PM

> Arny Krueger wrote:
>> "Roscoe East" <roscoeeast@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> I've got a situation where I need to route the S/PDIF
>>> output of a Meridian preamp/processor to one of two
>>> different destinations. Can't go to both simultaneously,
>>> so a DA won't work; has to select between Output A and
>>> Output B.
>>
>> Just for grins please explain why you can't drive both
>> outputs at the same time. Seems like a pretty rare
>> situation where you couldn't.
>
> Think about what I wrote: it's not both Outputs, it's
> both Inputs that I can't drive simultaneously. So I have
> to route a single output selectively between one of two
> different inputs, but not both simultaneously.

My bad, I meant both inputs.

If you just hooked both inputs to the output with a passive
Y cable, there's some chance that both sets of speakers
might work because digital outputs tend to be overbuilt and
digital inputs tend to be more sensitive than the bare
minimum.

If you used a video DA, both speaker digital inputs could
certainly be driven at the same time.

>I suppose I could find a way to remotely power on/off each
pair of
>active speakers so that I just turn off the amps rather
than disable
>the input to the unused pair of speakers

That would be the equipment and energy conservative way to
go.

> But I thought (foolishly,
>apparently, as no one's come up with a solution that fits
the mandate)
>that a swanky S/PDIF AB selector switch would be a common
item.

Actually they have - a standard video switch and cabling
will do the job. SP/DIF and baseband video meet roughly the
same specs, especially when it comes to passive switches.

It might break your heart, the off-the-shelf < $50 video
switches and DAs from Radio Shack will do the job, and do it
well.

Tell you what, order them from me, and I'll be happy to mark
them up 1,000% so you can feel better.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 3:21:46 PM

John L Rice wrote:
> It's a nice looking simple half rackish sized blue box with large round
> black buttons and a few LEDs. Their ad text says :
>
> The Broadcast Tools® SS 2.1/Term III passively switches or routes a variety
> of electrical signals to a destination. The SS 2.1/Term III selects any one
> of 2 stereo inputs to a single stereo output. The SS 2.1/Term III provides
> PASSIVE switching through gold contact relays. The passive switching means
> that the unit can route a signal in either direction. Due to the passive
> nature of the switching, any input level and impedance can be used. Inputs
> may be balanced or unbalanced, while output levels, impedance, distortion,
> noise and balancing will match that of the selected input. In addition to
> their normal use with audio signals, the unit can also be used to switch
> digital signals and telephone lines.

Ooh, looks like we may have a winner here, folks! Thanks Julian (and
John).
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 3:38:29 PM

Those of us who read offline would be really grateful if those of you
who post links would also include a really quick description of what
you're linking to. When you post a link and write "How about this?" I
have no idea what you're talking about because I can't just click on the
link.

I know that's my problem and not yours. I mention it as an "if you
please" request and not a complaint.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 3:38:30 PM

It's a nice looking simple half rackish sized blue box with large round
black buttons and a few LEDs. Their ad text says :

The Broadcast Tools® SS 2.1/Term III passively switches or routes a variety
of electrical signals to a destination. The SS 2.1/Term III selects any one
of 2 stereo inputs to a single stereo output. The SS 2.1/Term III provides
PASSIVE switching through gold contact relays. The passive switching means
that the unit can route a signal in either direction. Due to the passive
nature of the switching, any input level and impedance can be used. Inputs
may be balanced or unbalanced, while output levels, impedance, distortion,
noise and balancing will match that of the selected input. In addition to
their normal use with audio signals, the unit can also be used to switch
digital signals and telephone lines.

Features: Operational control by front panel switches with LED indicators,
contact closures, 5-volt TTL/CMOS logic levels and/or the multi-drop RS-232
serial port.
Removable screw terminals (Euro) are provided for audio and remote control
connections.
Audio switching via sealed relays utilizing 2-form-C bifurcated - crossbar
silver alloy with gold overlay contacts.
Logic functions via microprocessor and non-volatile memory
The power-up feature allows the user to select which one source is active at
power up, including the last source selected.
Three logic-switching modes, interlock, sustained or toggle.
Configuration via dip switches
The "ENABLE" switch provides a safety lock to the front panel source
selection switches.
The audio "MUTE" switch allows the user to turn off the audio output when
activated.
Source number one is configured to route audio to the output in the case of
loss of power to the unit.
Non-selected sources are terminated with 10K ohms, load resistors.
Relays provided for remote status.
The SS 2.1/Term III may be set on a desktop, mounted on a wall or as part of
the new RA-1, "Rack-Able" mounting shelf.
Optional RA-1 rack shelf for mounting up to three units in 1-RU

Applications: Automation source switching, EAS audio switching or any type
of stereo, monaural, composite audio, AES/EBU, ISDN, RS-232/422/485,
telephone line switching, multiple station music on-hold and/or PA
switching,

--
John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com

"Lorin David Schultz" <Lorin@DAMNSPAM!v5v.ca> wrote in message
> Those of us who read offline would be really grateful if those of you who
> post links would also include a really quick description of what you're
> linking to. When you post a link and write "How about this?" I have no
> idea what you're talking about because I can't just click on the link.
>
> I know that's my problem and not yours. I mention it as an "if you
> please" request and not a complaint.
>
> --
> "It CAN'T be too loud... some of the red lights aren't even on yet!"
> - Lorin David Schultz
> in the control room
> making even bad news sound good
>
> (Remove spamblock to reply)

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 7:14:30 PM

In article <VyoGe.171197$tt5.29080@edtnps90> Lorin@DAMNSPAM!v5v.ca writes:

> Those of us who read offline would be really grateful if those of you
> who post links would also include a really quick description of what
> you're linking to. When you post a link and write "How about this?" I
> have no idea what you're talking about because I can't just click on the
> link.

I agree. If you're too lazy to summarize, don't bother to post about
something that's already on line. The link is nice to have if we care
enough to get more details.

It's also a very kind thing to use tinyurl.com or another such link
translator service to create a link that doesn't get broken in the
middle due to line length limitations. If I have to paste a link
together because it's five lines long, I won't bother. I'll just go
with the summary (which of course you'll post, won't you?).

July 29, 2005 7:14:33 PM

In article <1122640141.277455.315000@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> roscoeeast@yahoo.com writes:

> Think about what I wrote: it's not both Outputs, it's both Inputs that
> I can't drive simultaneously. So I have to route a single output
> selectively between one of two different inputs, but not both
> simultaneously.

> The inputs here are both Meridian DSP digital active speakers.

> I suppose I could find a way to remotely power on/off each pair of
> active speakers so that I just turn off the amps rather than disable
> the input to the unused pair of speakers. But I thought (foolishly,
> apparently, as no one's come up with a solution that fits the mandate)
> that a swanky S/PDIF AB selector switch would be a common item.

It isn't a common item, but as has been suggested, a coax RF relay
will work just fine. Or if you don't absolutely need the remote
switching, a simple BNC patchbay would be a solution.

But if you just want to play with the concept, you could try using a
TV antenna splitter to give you two outputs from a single input. The
level will drop, but unless it's below the threshold of the receiver
on the speaker, it won't matter. Turn on one and turn off the other.

July 29, 2005 7:28:09 PM

In article <znr1122650586k@trad>, Mike Rivers <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:

>But if you just want to play with the concept, you could try using a
>TV antenna splitter to give you two outputs from a single input. The
>level will drop, but unless it's below the threshold of the receiver
>on the speaker, it won't matter. Turn on one and turn off the other.

This doesn't work because the low frequency response of the splitter is
not good enough. It _is_ possible to use an Allen Avionics video
(20 Hz-6 MHz) transformer for the job, but it would be a lot cheaper to
buy a gold-plated relay.
--scott

July 29, 2005 8:05:22 PM

Roscoe East wrote:
> I've got a situation where I need to route the S/PDIF output of a
> Meridian preamp/processor to one of two different destinations. Can't
> go to both simultaneously, so a DA won't work; has to select between
> Output A and Output B.
>
> Also need to be able to switch between these two outputs remotely,
> either via RS-232, 12v trigger, or infrared. And, irrespective of any
> alleged or imagined sonic benefits, I'd like to use something whose
> build quality is commensurate with a $9000 Meridian preamp/processor.
>
> Any suggestions? I've been Googling all morning & can't find anything
> specifically designed to do this. (Closest I came was a Niles AVS-2,
> which is a little $75 gadget for routing composite video but which
> ought to pass S/PDIF. Just can't bring myself to pass the output of a
> $9000 preamp through a $75 switcher.)
>
> Ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Have you looked at Bob Katz's box?

<http://tinyurl.com/bohlp&gt;

The VSP Digital Audio Control Center

Inputs and Outputs
The VSP model P (professional) has six digital inputs: 3 coaxial (RCA),
2 Toslink optical (AT&T ST-Optical optional), 1 XLR. It has six record
outputs, of the same flavors. Last, it has 3 monitor outputs, 1 coax, 1
optical, and 1 XLR, designed to feed a D/A converter. The model S
(standard, or consumer) only has the six inputs and outputs, does not
have the monitor section. Any of the six inputs will accept AES/EBU
(professional) software or S/PDIF (IEC 958, consumer) software. The six
record outputs of the VSP/P can be switched between consumer or
professional software via a front panel switch. The six outputs of the
VSP/S are permanently set to deliver S/PDIF software. Emphasis is
handled automatically, and the signal path is 24 bits.

What the all-purpose VSP does
The VSP is like a digital audio patchbay. It has no analog inputs or
outputs. Mastering studios, dubbing studios, and recording engineers
will find many uses for the VSP.

Routing
The VSP will switch between any of 6 digital sources (e.g., CD, DAT,
DAW) and feed them simultaneously to 6 places. Additionally, the model
VSP/P will switch any of those six sources to a monitor output. A
simple A/B monitor switch permits comparing source and tape (or any two
sources).

Additional Features
Both models have a very sophisticated jitter reduction circuit. The pro
model's sample rate converter will accept any incoming rate from below
32 kHz to above 48 khz and turn it into the compact disc standard of
44.1 kHz. The pro model also has an external processor loop, which can
be inserted in the record or monitor chain at the touch of a button,
enabling comparison of a reverberated signal, or a compressed signal,
for example; or for inserting a compressor between two DAT machines;
and so on.

Digital Domain
931 NSR 434 Suite 1201-168
Altamonte Springs, FL 32714 USA
(800) 344-4361

July 29, 2005 8:28:52 PM

> But if you just want to play with the concept, you could
> try using a TV antenna splitter to give you two outputs
from a single
> input. The level will drop, but unless it's below the
threshold of
> the receiver on the speaker, it won't matter. Turn on
one and turn off
> the other.

Given the usual attenuation in a typical antenna splitter, I
doubt that you'd get the speakers to synch up. These things
are also directional couplers and provide a degree of
isolation of the load to the source. The results are even
greater losses.
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 12:26:50 AM

In article <dce009$6h4$1@panix2.panix.com> kludge@panix.com writes:

> >But if you just want to play with the concept, you could try using a
> >TV antenna splitter

> This doesn't work because the low frequency response of the splitter is
> not good enough.

I never tried it, but it was rumored to work years ago.