Sign in with
Your question

Why does my computer not come back on after power failure

Last response: in Windows 7
July 20, 2012 12:55:52 PM

Why doesn't my computer boot up after power failure? The bios is set to boot after power failure.
I have to jump start the motherboard to get it to boot. What causes this to happen? Is it a power surge? I can unplug and plug the computer back in and have no problem booting. If I have a power failure, no Boot. The last power failure was a sudden off no "on-Off" fluctuations. I want an explantion so I can prevent it from happening. Is a UPC the only solution?
a c 353 $ Windows 7
July 20, 2012 1:30:07 PM

If you are having that many power outages, get a UPS for sure.
You need to check with the PC vendor about how the system would behave under different conditions.
m
l
July 20, 2012 1:48:09 PM

Indeed... get a UPS. However it could also be related to the PSU, some PSU wont come ON after a sudden power OFF just as a fail-safe.
m
l
Related resources
July 20, 2012 1:52:07 PM

It could also be a setting in the Bios. The ASUS and Gigabyte motherboard I have had recently but had a "Power On after outtage setting". Your PSU could be marginal as well, if this has started happening after adding a GPU graphics card or hard drive(S).
m
l
a c 228 $ Windows 7
July 20, 2012 3:12:18 PM

I have my bios set to use the previous state, so if it ws off, it remains off and if it was on, it will boot back up after a power failure. In this case, I think your PSU is ignoring the bios in order to protect itself and/or the entire system.

As others stated, I recommend a good UPS to help protect your electronics.
m
l
!