Sign in with
Your question

k7s5a+sound! help!!

Last response: in Components
August 16, 2003 8:07:26 PM

I'm new here, so just want to say hi guys!

Ok, my pc is this spec:-
AMD XP2000
256 DDR Ram
k7s5a ECS mobo
GF4 MX440
Win XP Pro

My problem is I had jumpy, stuttery sound in many games and in windows, so I downloaded new drivers....but no help. So a mate gave me his old Creative CT4810 soundcard, which I pushed into the pci slot, plugged into the cdrom drives and disabled onboard sound.

When I switch on the pc, there is a lot of beeping, but no picture and it won't boot. So I unplugged all the cables, just left it sitting in the pci slot, but more beeps.

This has really confused me....its not a dislodged gfx card, i'vre tried different pci slots, I don't know what else to try!

Do I need to disconnect the cables labelled cd in and aux in on the mobo's sound chip? If yes, I need to take out the gfx card first.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Cheers,
Chris

More about : k7s5a sound

August 21, 2003 1:32:35 PM

Constant, steady, slow beeps?

Sounds like a memory problem. You might have unseated the memory when you were putting the card in. The board isn't exactly the greatest either, it's possible the memory slots just failed.

Try the usual memory testing techniques, reseat your sticks, try them in different slots, etc. If all else fails, reset the BIOS, remove the card and see if it works then; if not RMA the board.
August 21, 2003 10:11:21 PM

1. reseat the sound card, reboot

if still beeps,

2. pull out sound card, reboot

if it still beeps, reseat everything
if it boot fine, then try a different soundcard
August 21, 2003 10:11:32 PM

1. reseat the sound card, reboot

if still beeps,

2. pull out sound card, reboot

if it still beeps, reseat everything
if it boots fine, then try a different soundcard

-edit-
Hmm, wont let me delete double post
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jp5 on 08/21/03 06:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!