Sign in with
Your question

Unresponsive 30 Seconds After Startup

Last response: in Windows XP
May 23, 2002 10:03:48 AM

Greetings,

My problem is when I go into windows (XP Home), the system will not run any programs for about 30 seconds. If I open up 'My Computer', I get the torch thingy looking for stuff. After the 30 seconds, any icons I may have clicked on all start to open their programs & everything is fine. A small problem in the great scale of things but bloody annoying non the less.

During this barren 30 seconds, there is nothing listed under applications in Task Manager.

I have recently installed a new 60G Seagate IV HDD and another 256m of PC2100 DDR RAM. I have also recently installed Norton Antivirus but I'm not sure if this thing started after any of these things were added.

I've turned off everything under startup in msconfig but this makes no difference.

My system spec is as follows:

Win XP Home with all updates
Gigabyte GA-7DXR MOBO
AMD 1.4 TB 266
512 mbyte PC2100 DDR RAM
60G Seagate IV 7200 rpm HDD
Creative GeForce 2 GTS
Optus (Australia) cable modem
Redundant PCI DialUp modem
Network card currently unused

Thanks for your help

James
May 23, 2002 11:45:23 AM

could be it's looking for a DHCP server. Go into the network config (local area connection TCPI/IP properties), uncheck "obtain IP address automatically", check "use the following IP address" and give it a dummy IP address (10.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0). Or, just disable the NIC (network card) in the device manager. See if that doesn't solve the problem.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
May 24, 2002 7:54:01 AM

Thanks Jlanka,

I did what you said and it seems to have done the trick.
I'll wait a couple of days as the delay does vary.

It seems strange as it never use to do this, something must have changed after an install or hardware upgrade.

Anyway, thanks very much for your help, brilliant.

James
!