hokiekev99

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2003
I have been seeing strange symptoms on my system, and I'm wondering if anyone out there can offer some advice. I'm running an AMD 1600XP processor on a Epox 8KHA+ motherboard, a 300W "Premier Plus" PSU, and a Leadtek nVidia Ti200 video card. In the past few months, I started experiencing strange problems with my system, which I built at home.

The first symptom was that the machine would not jump to the normal bios after the video card booted. I noticed that if I unplugged the PS2 mouse, the computer booted fine. The problem gradually got worse -- when I replugged the mouse in, the computer would shut off entirely.

One thing led to another, and eventually I bought a new motherboard figuring the Epox had a faulty connection somewhere. Well now I am experiencing similar symptoms. If I plug an active network cable to the onboard LAN port, the system turns off just like it did before.

Another symptom is that at power up, the computer begins to power on. The fans spin for about 1-2 seconds, and then the system shuts off. The green status LED on the motherboard flickers when the system shuts off, but stays lit.

I have unplugged my CD-ROM drives, but I get the same symptoms.

The BIOS is reports voltages lower than I would expect:
10.6V (+12V), 4.06V (+5V), and 2.6V (3.3V), which leads me to believe that is the problem (not the mobo as I originally guessed). Any ideas? I get similar symptoms when I use the PSU on my old computer (240W).

Thanks.
Kevin

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
whoa!!! those voltages are WAAAAAAYYYY off.
Gotta be some of the worst ive seen!

For the Positive rails the voltages should be withing 5%...
So as an example your 5V line should be between 4.75 and 5.25v.
4.06V is just WRONG.

Get. A. New. PSU. Now.

350W or greater Enermax or Antec are my STRONG recommendations.

<b>My Car comes with Hyper Threading enabled:
1970 General Motors Holden HT Kingswood Wagon :smile:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>