Sign in with
Your question

Best laptop under $1,000?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
February 12, 2007 12:32:45 PM

I'm going to buy my Mom a new laptop b/c well, she needs a new one. Obviously, my mother won't be playing any games so GPU's are not a consideration, but I want this laptop to last a few years too. Acer seems to be the front runner right now in my searches so far, but I'm still open to other suggestions.

I think I can easily get a laptop for my Mom for under $1,000 and still get something that will last her a few years.

The only real requirement is that it have at least a 17" screen. She doesn't like the small keyboard that her current laptop has. (15.4" screen)

I've found this one, but it's a bit outdated in the CPU department.

Opinions?

Think you can find something better? Post it! :) 

More about : laptop 000

February 12, 2007 2:15:09 PM

Get an HP, it is the best bang for your buck.
February 12, 2007 2:26:37 PM

Quote:
Get an HP, it is the best bang for your buck.

Totally agreed. The dv6000t is very nicely configurable for under 1k and the keyboards are relatively big (it is a 15.4" model as well) and people tend to like them. It can also come with a sexy finish on the lid / back of the screen.
February 12, 2007 3:02:01 PM

I'm actually perfectly happy with my Dell Inspiron 1505. It's nearing 1 year old and it's still a modern machine... dual core, 1 GB of RAM and ATI X1400 video subsystem... and that cost around $1100 in March 2006.

However... I must point out that in terms of durability, the Lenovo ThinkPads we have here at work seem to be built to a higher standard... metal (instead of plastic) hinges and what-not... not sure if you can get a well-equipped one for under $1000 though.
!