HDD RAID Upgrade for old Dell?

getsome831

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2003
So i've got this old Dell XPS R450 (http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dkhan/Specs.htm) which is still my primary computer and I was planning on installing a RAID. My question is, is it worth shelling out the extra cash for S-ATA drives/controller on my old system or would Ultra ATA 133 pretty much give me the same performance for less money? I guess i should also mention i did upgrade my CPU awhile back from the original PII 450 to a PIII 850, and my memory is maxed out at 384MB, and i've since added a DVD/CD burner, if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

-g

ego533

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2003
If you want to install it, the only benefit from SATA here would be the reduction of case clutter (easier to work with, better airflow, ect..) but the ATA 133 installation should produce nearly the same performance or better.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I had one of your boards with a 256MB, 16-chip double sided DIMM in slot 1 and two 128MB 8-chip single-sided DIMMs in the other two slots, it was working fine with 512MB of RAM.

SATA doesn't offer any advantage with today's drives, and the PCI slot is limitted to 133MB/s (like ATA 133) anyway.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>