Sign in with
Your question

Need help finding another laptop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
February 14, 2007 1:54:19 PM

You guys helped me find a laptop for my boss, and it was perfect. Now I need help finding a setup for envious employees :) 
I'm having problems finding a Vista laptop with a traditional style docking station. By traditional, I mean one that does not use the laptop monitor while docked. More like HP's Advanced Docking Station. Budget does not matter, but I would like to keep it in a big brand (HP, Dell, IBM, etc.)
Thanks!

More about : finding laptop

a b D Laptop
February 14, 2007 2:29:27 PM

I know Dell offers Kensington docking stations that allow you to continue to use the laptops LCD. What will be the main uses for these laptops and what screen size are you looking for? Does it need to be portable? Answer some of these so I can give you more insight. My school was closed due to snow so I'll be here most of the day.
February 14, 2007 3:49:01 PM

Sorry, I should have been more specific. The laptop must have a 15" LCD, 2 GB ram, and 100 (or so) GB HD, nice video card, and must ship with Vista. It will be used for sales presentations and basic office work. The problem I'm having is finding on with a docking station that DOES NOT use the laptops monitor. All of the newer docking stations I can find have the laptop sitting open so that you can use the laptops monitor as a primary monitor. What I need is the style where the laptop is completely closed, and it slides into a base with a monitor stand on top. The person that is getting this monitor has a 22" LCD monitor that he would like to use.

Thank you for the quick response!
Related resources
a b D Laptop
February 14, 2007 4:42:37 PM

OK I understand now. Out of Dell and HP, only Dell offers an expansion dock that allows you to use an external monitor. With Dell, either get the Inspiron 9400(17'') or the 6400 (15.4''). The 9400 is about $2000 dollars without any type of warranty upgrade and the 6400 is about $1800 when similarly configured. Personal preference: get the 9400, with a larger screen and a better GPU, it is actually better price/performance wise.

Both systems include:
Core 2 7200
2 gb of ram
80 gb 7200 rpm HDD
ATi x1400
Intel pro wireless
Kensington Notebook dock with stand (this is the one you want)
February 14, 2007 6:41:17 PM

I'm sorry, the docking station from Dell is what I'm trying to avoid. That is the only style I can find with a Vista laptop. I need the old school type that a monitor will sit on top of. Kind of like a huge port replicator.
Thank you for your help!
!