Sign in with
Your question

Install Windows 7 from USB?

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • USB
Last response: in Windows 7
July 20, 2012 11:53:43 PM

First of all, I have a legit key that I bought. Is it possible to copy the files from windows 7 into a usb and boot the system from usb instead of the cd drive to install the OS?

More about : install windows usb

July 21, 2012 12:06:31 AM

'Wintoflash'. You can use this free software immgrate the installtion files to you flash disk.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 21, 2012 12:29:34 AM

Yes it certainly is possible. There are a couple of tools specifically for this such as the one Kissingman mentioned. As far as I know this should be included natively in Windows 8
m
l
Related resources
July 21, 2012 12:40:57 AM

WinAIO is also a nifty tool to make bootable windows 7 installs as it allows you to make a single ISO or USB install that allows you to select the edition you need.

Ive got a 4 gig stick with every 32 and 64 bit edition of windows 7 to choose from to install.

This is not a hack to give you the ability to install an edition and activate that you do not have a key for its a really nice tool though for those of us who have to maintain multiple PC's with differnet versions. But it automates or simplifies the tasks needed for the user that needs just 1 version also
m
l
July 21, 2012 12:42:35 AM

Can I just have my files on my desktop and just move it into my usb drive instead of using a specific software?
m
l
July 21, 2012 12:58:06 AM

romeodakins said:
Can I just have my files on my desktop and just move it into my usb drive instead of using a specific software?

There is no way to boot your system from your flash disk if you just move the files into it. So, there is no way to run the installation program of Windows 7 on your computer.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 21, 2012 12:58:32 AM

romeodakins said:

there has to be modifications on the flashdrive so that it has enough data to be able to boot from it directly.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 21, 2012 1:14:40 AM

romeodakins said:

It is possible to do if you have an EFI firmware but it requires a bit of command line wizardry to set the partitions up properly on the USB
m
l
!