Favorite flavor of RAM for P4C800 Deluxe?

Peyton

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2003
Trying to recover from a very unhappy experience with Corsair TwinX PC3200LL RAM. (Problem was a bad DIMM)

What's your favorite DDR RAM for stability on the P4C800? I saw Crucial recommended for the P4P800 MB, but it is not on the Asus Qualified Vendor List.

The processor is a P4 3.0c, I like hyperthreading, and I want a total of 1 Gb RAM installed. I don't plan to OC, the system should be ripping fast, if I can get it to run in a stable configuration. The machine's purpose in life is to do video editing/rendering, and to play games. It's running Win XP Pro, has a Radeon 9800 Pro video card and an Audigy 2 Platinum sound card. A Maxtor 120 GB IDE drive is for the OS and most software, a RAID-0 array with a couple of Seagates will be for video data and games.

Alles klar? Hope you've had some good experiences and we can develop a consensus.

Cheers,
Peyton

G

I have read people saying they had problems with Kingston & Corsair PC3200. Someone on here got Kingston PC3500 to work though. I like Kingston the best, but, someone told me that OCZ was good also.

I too have the same board and am trying to find the right ram and timmings to get it running.

"We learn the rope of life by untying its knots"

Peyton

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2003
I got my machine working just fine by doing an ultimate backing off on the RAM timings. I installed a couple sticks of Corsair PC2700, and it goes like grease.

I'll continue to monitor boards like this one, particularly after ASUS releases another update to their BIOS. I'll probably replace my PC2700 with something perkier in a few months. Until then, my machine is "pretty dog-gone fast." With quite a lot of effort and tweaking, it might be "really, *really* fast," but I'm happy for now. It renders video 2 1/2 times as fast as the previous computer, and I can play IL2 Forgotten Battles with all the graphics set to Excellent at 1200-something by 900-something resolution.

Cheers and beers,
Peyton

G

I was going to go with Kingston PC3500 or 3700 and see how that works. Do you have it running dual channel?

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
If you're not overclocking then Kingston in this case would be the best, if you're planning to overclock past the rated speed then OCZ is pro at that, Corsair is also really good, I personally don't buy HyperX ram anymore because they were known to be able to overclock at low-latency, now all their ram run at crappy timings 3-4-4-8 and they all overclock like crap. So if you're planning for 3700 and over, Kingston's crap.

-Intel PIV 2.4C @ 3.84G -Asus P4P800 -OCZ Gold 2x256 3700EL memory @ 256mhz 2.5-3-3-7 -Sapphire 9800pro @ 490/780 -SB audigy -80G Maxtor Diamond Plus9 Ultra ATA-133 hdd -450 Enermax PSU

G

Dont forget to look at Geils golden dragon. Run stable and fine at rated speed and its pretty cheap. Only drawback is that it wont go any faster than rated but since you dont wanna OC it would be a good choice. No problem whatsoever wit my P4P800. Only need to flash the bios and maybe raise the Vdimm a bit and it'll run at the specified 2-3-3-6 wich is just a bit under corsair/kingston @ 2-3-2-6...

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Most of Geil's rams requires at least 2.85Vdimm to run so on the p4p800 that's the max there's no way you can go higher, however if you have Epox mobo, Geil's warrenty covers up to 3.1vdimm so Epox allows all the way up to 3.3.

-Intel PIV 2.4C @ 3.84G -Asus P4P800 -OCZ Gold 2x256 3700EL memory @ 256mhz 2.5-3-3-7 -Sapphire 9800pro @ 490/780 -SB audigy -80G Maxtor Diamond Plus9 Ultra ATA-133 hdd -450 Enermax PSU

G

Mine is running reeal fine @ 2.75 V, also I saw a mod on a P4p800 to raise it all the way to 3.10...
Only thing is im the the type to do some soldering on my MB so Epox might be a better choice if your into extreme ocing...

G

I was planning to OC a bit. and I have been unable to find OCZ ram kit of 1 gig. Any good places to find that kit?

KrazeIke

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
I recently bought 2 sticks of Corsair CMX512-3200C2 for my P4C800-E. One of them was fine but the other one was bad. Fortunately, Corsair sent me a new module without too much hassle and I only had to pay for it to be shipped to them. I'm running at 2-3-2-5 now, so I'm pretty happy.

G

I take it that you like the PC3500 HyperX? Where you able to oc the ram by much?

G

I planned on HyperX 3500 for the new system. I like Kingston.

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
I've been looking at the p4-800e also anyone with experience using winbond bh-5 based chips ?? I have heard that the bh-5 chips are better for OC than the ch-5, any thoughts or anyone try these yet I see they are still available at <A HREF="http://www.hardcorecooling.us/product.asp?3=296" target="_new">Hardcore cooling </A>for a fairly steep price

<b><font color=red>Just because you are ignoring those voices in your head doesn't mean they aren't talking about you</b></font color=red>

G

Thanks HardwareBoss. I think I will stay with the ram I planned to buy.