I have to say I love the idea of a Psion re-design and upgrade to employ more recent technology. I lost my job with the Psion agents in South Africa (as the software support person) thanks to Psion's decidion to stop PDA production. Since then I have done my best, in my own business, to keep existng Psion users going or helping them to migrate to other products. So having established my credentials I would like to state some of my own opinions based on my experiences.
1. I don't agree that the Symbian/Epoc OS was a flaw, built from the ground up for the purpose and to make the most efficient use of what was then the small and expensive memory available. It became very stable as it evolved (why else would the major cell phone companies adopt in favour of Windows Mobile) and it has since evolved even further.
2. One thing missing from Windows Mobile is the ability to have multiple flat databases as in the Data program and the ability to synchronise with multiple folders in Outlook. There is "Data on the Run" I know but if you can get support good luck.
3. Not all Psion users were experts on using a database and many put data in any field they felt like and the facility to search all fields made this unimportant, not to say that decent database discipline isn't good. But transferring 1000 or more records from Psion Data to Windows/blackberry etc becomes a major headache and requires that the owner start rearranging his/her database. Contacts in Windows Mobile, unless I missed something, doesn't allow you to search all fields in the database if we have to go this route at least add this feature - it was possible with the 5Mx Contacts program
4. A major flaw with the 5mx was the screen cable although more recent repairs I've been able to do recently have been more reliable than the original so we need to make sure it stays that way.
5. For me removeable AA batteries is the wise choice, if you live and travel in Africa Coke and AA batteries are available almost anywhere, power is not - I'm not kidding!
That's all I can think of right now but I am going to get all my Psion customers to join this discussion as well.
I am a scientist / writer in India. I bought a Psion 5mx recently after people all over UK started selling it. I bought it only because I had heard a lot about it. I have seen many PDAs like Axim, Palm T5. TX, HP but nothing beats this 5mx. It stores so much info and last for months even with rechargeable batteries. I reliably keep my backup documents on it . Colour screen will devour batteries I feel. What should be improved is its backlit display keeping it monochrome B/w. They it would be a classic product of 21 century.
I however wonder where I can get good softwares for Psion. Most are shareware and are nomore sold by the authors. But they have not made them public domain either. Any suggestions? I need a good wordprocessor and database application or sheet application better than the built in ones. thanks