catz 5 sound error

JeN

I have a game called Petz 5, that worked perfectly well before. But now I am
getting an error message saying: Sound Error. Sorry: the sound system did
not initialize. No sounds will be played.

I have tried uninstalling, then reinstalling.

Please help.

I think the problem may have started after I installed the new Microsoft
Update SP2.

I use windows XP.

Hi Jen,

Try updating the drivers for your sound card.
You can download them from the manufacturer's site.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

"Jen" <Jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A72AA34A-64A4-4828-9A59-AEE50036F2E7@microsoft.com...
| I have a game called Petz 5, that worked perfectly well before. But now I am
| getting an error message saying: Sound Error. Sorry: the sound system did
| not initialize. No sounds will be played.
|
| I have tried uninstalling, then reinstalling.
|
| Please help.
|
| I think the problem may have started after I installed the new Microsoft
| Update SP2.
|
| I use windows XP.

JeN

Could you please help me to find out who the manufacturer of the sound card
is. I have no idea, and I have no idea how to find out.

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Jen,
>
> Try updating the drivers for your sound card.
> You can download them from the manufacturer's site.
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>

> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
>
> "Jen" <Jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A72AA34A-64A4-4828-9A59-AEE50036F2E7@microsoft.com...
> | I have a game called Petz 5, that worked perfectly well before. But now I am
> | getting an error message saying: Sound Error. Sorry: the sound system did
> | not initialize. No sounds will be played.
> |
> | I have tried uninstalling, then reinstalling.
> |
> | Please help.
> |
> | I think the problem may have started after I installed the new Microsoft
> | Update SP2.
> |
> | I use windows XP.

Hi Jen,

To identify the type of sound card and driver version:
Click Start
Click Run
Type: dxdiag

Once the DirectX Diagnostics utility loads up:
Click the Sound Tab
Note the following
the Name of the Device,
the Name of the Driver, Version, Date and Provider.

--

"Jen" <Jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89666888-ECB0-4F89-A09B-AC35F4139EC6@microsoft.com...
> Could you please help me to find out who the manufacturer of the sound card
> is. I have no idea, and I have no idea how to find out.
>
> "Jimmy S." wrote:
>
>> Hi Jen,
>>
>> Try updating the drivers for your sound card.
>> You can download them from the manufacturer's site.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>

>> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
>> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
>> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
>> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
>>
>> "Jen" <Jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A72AA34A-64A4-4828-9A59-AEE50036F2E7@microsoft.com...
>> | I have a game called Petz 5, that worked perfectly well before. But now I am
>> | getting an error message saying: Sound Error. Sorry: the sound system did
>> | not initialize. No sounds will be played.
>> |
>> | I have tried uninstalling, then reinstalling.
>> |
>> | Please help.
>> |
>> | I think the problem may have started after I installed the new Microsoft
>> | Update SP2.
>> |
>> | I use windows XP.

JeN

Ok. I have some info, what now?

Name of device: Vinyl AC'97 Audio (WAVE)
Name of driver: viaudios.sys
Version: 6.14.0001.4030
Date: 23/04/2004
Provider: VIA Technologies

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Jen,
>
> To identify the type of sound card and driver version:
> Click Start
> Click Run
> Type: dxdiag
>
> Once the DirectX Diagnostics utility loads up:
> Click the Sound Tab
> Note the following
> the Name of the Device,
> the Name of the Driver, Version, Date and Provider.
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>
> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
>
> "Jen" <Jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89666888-ECB0-4F89-A09B-AC35F4139EC6@microsoft.com...
> > Could you please help me to find out who the manufacturer of the sound card
> > is. I have no idea, and I have no idea how to find out.
> >
> > "Jimmy S." wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Jen,
> >>
> >> Try updating the drivers for your sound card.
> >> You can download them from the manufacturer's site.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
> >> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >>

> >> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> >> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
> >> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
> >> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
> >> _________________________________________________________

Hi Jen,

Now that the manufacturer's identity has been identified,
visit their website for up to date drivers and support: :)
http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2

--

"Jen" <Jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7722B654-F633-4727-8BBE-79FDB3E1A224@microsoft.com...
> Ok. I have some info, what now?
>
> Name of device: Vinyl AC'97 Audio (WAVE)
> Name of driver: viaudios.sys
> Version: 6.14.0001.4030
> Date: 23/04/2004
> Provider: VIA Technologies
>
> "Jimmy S." wrote:
>
>> Hi Jen,
>>
>> To identify the type of sound card and driver version:
>> Click Start
>> Click Run
>> Type: dxdiag
>>
>> Once the DirectX Diagnostics utility loads up:
>> Click the Sound Tab
>> Note the following
>> the Name of the Device,
>> the Name of the Driver, Version, Date and Provider.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>
>> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
>> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
>> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
>> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
>>
>> "Jen" <Jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89666888-ECB0-4F89-A09B-AC35F4139EC6@microsoft.com...
>> > Could you please help me to find out who the manufacturer of the sound card
>> > is. I have no idea, and I have no idea how to find out.

JeN

I still couldn't figure out what I had to download. The problem itself is
fixed now, I had to remove a .dll file. But I would still like to update my
sound card if you could still help please.

Jen

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Jen,
>
> Now that the manufacturer's identity has been identified,
> visit their website for up to date drivers and support: :)
> http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>
> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
>
> "Jen" <Jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7722B654-F633-4727-8BBE-79FDB3E1A224@microsoft.com...
> > Ok. I have some info, what now?
> >
> > Name of device: Vinyl AC'97 Audio (WAVE)
> > Name of driver: viaudios.sys
> > Version: 6.14.0001.4030
> > Date: 23/04/2004
> > Provider: VIA Technologies
> >
> > "Jimmy S." wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Jen,
> >>
> >> To identify the type of sound card and driver version:
> >> Click Start
> >> Click Run
> >> Type: dxdiag
> >>
> >> Once the DirectX Diagnostics utility loads up:
> >> Click the Sound Tab
> >> Note the following
> >> the Name of the Device,
> >> the Name of the Driver, Version, Date and Provider.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
> >> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >>
> >> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> >> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
> >> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
> >> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.

Hi Jen,

Based on the driver's Date: 23/04/2004, you don't have to worry
about updating the driver now that the problem has been resolved.

Your driver is recent enough. :)