catz 5 sound error

I have a game called Petz 5, that worked perfectly well before. But now I am
getting an error message saying: Sound Error. Sorry: the sound system did
not initialize. No sounds will be played.

I have tried uninstalling, then reinstalling.

Please help.

I think the problem may have started after I installed the new Microsoft
Update SP2.

I use windows XP.
7 answers Last reply
More about catz sound error

    Hi Jen,

    Try updating the drivers for your sound card.
    You can download them from the manufacturer's site.

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "Jen" <Jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A72AA34A-64A4-4828-9A59-AEE50036F2E7@microsoft.com...
    | I have a game called Petz 5, that worked perfectly well before. But now I am
    | getting an error message saying: Sound Error. Sorry: the sound system did
    | not initialize. No sounds will be played.
    |
    | I have tried uninstalling, then reinstalling.
    |
    | Please help.
    |
    | I think the problem may have started after I installed the new Microsoft
    | Update SP2.
    |
    | I use windows XP.

    Could you please help me to find out who the manufacturer of the sound card
    is. I have no idea, and I have no idea how to find out.

    "Jimmy S." wrote:

    > Hi Jen,
    >
    > Try updating the drivers for your sound card.
    > You can download them from the manufacturer's site.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
    > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    >
    > "Jen" <Jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A72AA34A-64A4-4828-9A59-AEE50036F2E7@microsoft.com...
    > | I have a game called Petz 5, that worked perfectly well before. But now I am
    > | getting an error message saying: Sound Error. Sorry: the sound system did
    > | not initialize. No sounds will be played.
    > |
    > | I have tried uninstalling, then reinstalling.
    > |
    > | Please help.
    > |
    > | I think the problem may have started after I installed the new Microsoft
    > | Update SP2.
    > |
    > | I use windows XP.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    Hi Jen,

    To identify the type of sound card and driver version:
    Click Start
    Click Run
    Type: dxdiag

    Once the DirectX Diagnostics utility loads up:
    Click the Sound Tab
    Note the following
    the Name of the Device,
    the Name of the Driver, Version, Date and Provider.

    --

    "Jen" <Jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89666888-ECB0-4F89-A09B-AC35F4139EC6@microsoft.com...
    > Could you please help me to find out who the manufacturer of the sound card
    > is. I have no idea, and I have no idea how to find out.
    >
    > "Jimmy S." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Jen,
    >>
    >> Try updating the drivers for your sound card.
    >> You can download them from the manufacturer's site.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    >> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >>

    >> Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    >> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
    >> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    >> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    >>
    >> "Jen" <Jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A72AA34A-64A4-4828-9A59-AEE50036F2E7@microsoft.com...
    >> | I have a game called Petz 5, that worked perfectly well before. But now I am
    >> | getting an error message saying: Sound Error. Sorry: the sound system did
    >> | not initialize. No sounds will be played.
    >> |
    >> | I have tried uninstalling, then reinstalling.
    >> |
    >> | Please help.
    >> |
    >> | I think the problem may have started after I installed the new Microsoft
    >> | Update SP2.
    >> |
    >> | I use windows XP.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    Ok. I have some info, what now?

    Name of device: Vinyl AC'97 Audio (WAVE)
    Name of driver: viaudios.sys
    Version: 6.14.0001.4030
    Date: 23/04/2004
    Provider: VIA Technologies

    "Jimmy S." wrote:

    > Hi Jen,
    >
    > To identify the type of sound card and driver version:
    > Click Start
    > Click Run
    > Type: dxdiag
    >
    > Once the DirectX Diagnostics utility loads up:
    > Click the Sound Tab
    > Note the following
    > the Name of the Device,
    > the Name of the Driver, Version, Date and Provider.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
    > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    >
    > "Jen" <Jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89666888-ECB0-4F89-A09B-AC35F4139EC6@microsoft.com...
    > > Could you please help me to find out who the manufacturer of the sound card
    > > is. I have no idea, and I have no idea how to find out.
    > >
    > > "Jimmy S." wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi Jen,
    > >>
    > >> Try updating the drivers for your sound card.
    > >> You can download them from the manufacturer's site.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    > >> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > >>

    > >> Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    > >> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
    > >> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    > >> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    > >> _________________________________________________________

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    Hi Jen,

    Now that the manufacturer's identity has been identified,
    visit their website for up to date drivers and support: :-)
    http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2

    --

    "Jen" <Jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7722B654-F633-4727-8BBE-79FDB3E1A224@microsoft.com...
    > Ok. I have some info, what now?
    >
    > Name of device: Vinyl AC'97 Audio (WAVE)
    > Name of driver: viaudios.sys
    > Version: 6.14.0001.4030
    > Date: 23/04/2004
    > Provider: VIA Technologies
    >
    > "Jimmy S." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Jen,
    >>
    >> To identify the type of sound card and driver version:
    >> Click Start
    >> Click Run
    >> Type: dxdiag
    >>
    >> Once the DirectX Diagnostics utility loads up:
    >> Click the Sound Tab
    >> Note the following
    >> the Name of the Device,
    >> the Name of the Driver, Version, Date and Provider.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    >> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >>
    >> Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    >> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
    >> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    >> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    >>
    >> "Jen" <Jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89666888-ECB0-4F89-A09B-AC35F4139EC6@microsoft.com...
    >> > Could you please help me to find out who the manufacturer of the sound card
    >> > is. I have no idea, and I have no idea how to find out.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    I still couldn't figure out what I had to download. The problem itself is
    fixed now, I had to remove a .dll file. But I would still like to update my
    sound card if you could still help please.

    Jen

    "Jimmy S." wrote:

    > Hi Jen,
    >
    > Now that the manufacturer's identity has been identified,
    > visit their website for up to date drivers and support: :-)
    > http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
    > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    >
    > "Jen" <Jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7722B654-F633-4727-8BBE-79FDB3E1A224@microsoft.com...
    > > Ok. I have some info, what now?
    > >
    > > Name of device: Vinyl AC'97 Audio (WAVE)
    > > Name of driver: viaudios.sys
    > > Version: 6.14.0001.4030
    > > Date: 23/04/2004
    > > Provider: VIA Technologies
    > >
    > > "Jimmy S." wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi Jen,
    > >>
    > >> To identify the type of sound card and driver version:
    > >> Click Start
    > >> Click Run
    > >> Type: dxdiag
    > >>
    > >> Once the DirectX Diagnostics utility loads up:
    > >> Click the Sound Tab
    > >> Note the following
    > >> the Name of the Device,
    > >> the Name of the Driver, Version, Date and Provider.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    > >> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > >>
    > >> Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    > >> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
    > >> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    > >> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    > >> _________________________________________________________

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    Hi Jen,

    Based on the driver's Date: 23/04/2004, you don't have to worry
    about updating the driver now that the problem has been resolved.

    Your driver is recent enough. :-)

    --

    "Jen" <Jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:72E0BE77-5E7C-4CC1-8E04-3127FEE323EF@microsoft.com...
    >I still couldn't figure out what I had to download. The problem itself is
    > fixed now, I had to remove a .dll file. But I would still like to update my
    > sound card if you could still help please.
    >
    > Jen
    >
    > "Jimmy S." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Jen,
    >>
    >> Now that the manufacturer's identity has been identified,
    >> visit their website for up to date drivers and support: :-)
    >> http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2
    >>
    >> --
    >> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    >> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >>
    >> Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    >> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
    >> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    >> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    >>
    >> "Jen" <Jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7722B654-F633-4727-8BBE-79FDB3E1A224@microsoft.com...
    >> > Ok. I have some info, what now?
    >> >
    >> > Name of device: Vinyl AC'97 Audio (WAVE)
    >> > Name of driver: viaudios.sys
    >> > Version: 6.14.0001.4030
    >> > Date: 23/04/2004
    >> > Provider: VIA Technologies

Games Microsoft Error Message Video Games