Mac, Palm desktop, "file is busy"

July 21, 2004 5:09:33 AM

Something's gone seriously wrong with my setup, and I'm hoping someone
here has a solution.

I'm running Mac OS 10.3.4 and Palm desktop 4.2.1, connecting with a
Palm-Connect serial-USB adapter. My PDA is a HandEra running OS 3.5.3
(modified somewhat by HandEra, I believe). Everything's been fine for
quite a while, even since upgrading to Panther a few months ago.

Now, however, after a trip involving using the cradle/charger with
another computer (but not syncing the PDA with it), I can't fully sync
with my home machine, and I can't even quit the Palm desktop app without
two successive "File is busy" windows, each with a single "Quit" button.

I've repaired and verified permissions, uninstalled and reinstalled the
latest version of the desktop app after manually stripping out every
file with "palm" in the name, both from my own account and from root,
I've wiped the PDA clean with successive hard resets, created a new
account for the PDA, still no dice.

At this point I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with the desktop
installation, never mind syncing. After a clean install and no attempt
at syncing, I can't figure why it's giving me this "File is busy" stuff
(twice!) on quitting -- perhaps some Apple-derived .plist file connected
with startup, such that it thinks it's doing something even when it
isn't (or shouldn't be)?

Any advice greatly appreciated; thanks.

Chris Jones

--
To reply by email, please remove the initial digit from my address.
Make the world a better place: shoot a spammer today!

Chris Jones wrote:
> I'm running Mac OS 10.3.4 and Palm desktop 4.2.1, connecting with a
> Palm-Connect serial-USB adapter. My PDA is a HandEra running OS 3.5.3
> (modified somewhat by HandEra, I believe). Everything's been fine for
> quite a while, even since upgrading to Panther a few months ago.
>
> Now, however, after a trip involving using the cradle/charger with
> another computer (but not syncing the PDA with it), I can't fully sync
> with my home machine, and I can't even quit the Palm desktop app without
> two successive "File is busy" windows, each with a single "Quit" button.

It doesn't say which file? One possibility is that it means the
PDB or PRC that it's trying to sync is busy on the Palm. I would
try a soft reset on the Palm device.

- Logan
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 7:11:45 AM

In article <vPjLc.12639$qa2.2846@fe2.texas.rr.com>,
Logan Shaw <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Chris Jones wrote:
> > I'm running Mac OS 10.3.4 and Palm desktop 4.2.1, connecting with a
> > Palm-Connect serial-USB adapter. My PDA is a HandEra running OS 3.5.3
> > (modified somewhat by HandEra, I believe). Everything's been fine for
> > quite a while, even since upgrading to Panther a few months ago.
> >
> > Now, however, after a trip involving using the cradle/charger with
> > another computer (but not syncing the PDA with it), I can't fully sync
> > with my home machine, and I can't even quit the Palm desktop app without
> > two successive "File is busy" windows, each with a single "Quit" button.
>
> It doesn't say which file? One possibility is that it means the
> PDB or PRC that it's trying to sync is busy on the Palm. I would
> try a soft reset on the Palm device.

Tried that (a couple of hard resets, actually), but this happens even
after I unplug the cradle from the computer and reinstall everything
cleanly after verifying/repairing permissions and disks. No PDA, just
open the desktop and immediately quit: 2 "file is busy" dialogs.

Chris

--
!