Win xp home running slowly

G

I can't believe how slow win xp home edition is running!
Installed on christmas and ran fine for 3 months, fast, no crashing, great load up time, and then one day wammo, dirt slow. Can anybody help me? All opperations are stuck in a crawl, once you get there it works but 2 minutes to open up any program is outrages. Boot time as high as 30 minutes.

It's a p3 866 with 512mb ram, ASUS mobo, 20gb westddig hd, and 40gb westdig hd, 32mb ATI Raedon, 2 100bit nic cards, cheep SB soundcard, all working fine. Latest virus scan came up clean.

I can't figure it out. I just uninstalled almost everything but windows to see if a software conflict was hurting it. hard drives are clean and defraged. system not hot, plenty of ventelation. About to crash and burn but hate to do it, don't want to loose diablo 2E characters.

Thanks Casper

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Why do you need two NICs?
Anyway, reinstall will fix it, if yenking out your NICs will not help.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

G

Two nics, one for DSL one for home network. The home net includes a Win ME 866mhz P3 with 512mb ram 20g hd all working fine(accept for the Win ME problems) and a Win 98se2 400mhz P3 with 320mb ram and a 20g hd all working fine (accept for the Win 98 problems).Linksys 5 port 10 bit hub connects the other two(only have a one user DSL account, SSSSSHHHHHH! Don't tell my isp).
All nic's are working fine, but boot up time is still over 20 minutes and program load time up to 5 minutes. So very weard, no conflicts, no errors, all hardware working fine but all software is slower than molasses.It got a little faster this week after a Win XP Auto Update. Now after i pull it up once it starts to run faster the second time(close out email and re-open it, or adobe, or explorer)but every new task still takes forever(save file as, open new file, open new program). Searched a lot of sites including toms hardware but can't seem to find a simalar problem without hardware difficulties. All my signs point to software, it may take 5 minutes to get Diablo 2E to load up but it plays just fine, even in multiplayer with the other two computers. Feels line the memory hole in ME all over again.

Frustrated and feeling like pulling out the Fine Adjustment Sledge Hammer!