Wireless woes with MN-700

Last response: in Networking
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
June 10, 2004 12:08:03 PM

Hi,

I have a peculiar problem.

I have a wireless lan setup at home. I have microsoft wireless router
(MN-700). On this i have wired some clients and also have 2 wireless
clients. 1 is my laptop and the 2nd one is my x-box (connected wirelessly
using mn-740).
The problem i am facing is that my laptop (when connected using wireless
card) is unable to connect to my xbox (using xbconnect to do so). My laptop
on it's own connects to internet fine (writing this post). My x-box is able
to reach to internet fine (xbox live is working). If I wire the laptop to my
wireless router (which acts as a 4 port hub), then my laptop is able to
connect to xbox. I remove the laptop from wire and re-connect using
wireless, i get disconnected from xbox.
Note that using my laptop (in wired or wireless mode), i am able to access
any device that is wired to MN-700 router.

My base station information is as follows

Runtime code version: 02.00.08.0333
Boot code version: 02.00.08.0333

Hardware version: 00.00.00.0004

Can someone help me in solving this problem?

Thanks.
-Chetan

More about : wireless woes 700

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
June 10, 2004 12:29:22 PM

When you attempt to connect to the Xbox (I'm trying to figure out why, but
haven't had much coffee yet) in wireless mode, try changing the settings on
the Xbox from Infrastructure to System Link. With Infrastructure, your
setup is accepting the feed from the router to achieve access to the
Internet, not communicate with another LAN device.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

"Chetan Nadgouda" <nchetan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a peculiar problem.
>
> I have a wireless lan setup at home. I have microsoft wireless router
> (MN-700). On this i have wired some clients and also have 2 wireless
> clients. 1 is my laptop and the 2nd one is my x-box (connected wirelessly
> using mn-740).
> The problem i am facing is that my laptop (when connected using wireless
> card) is unable to connect to my xbox (using xbconnect to do so). My
> laptop
> on it's own connects to internet fine (writing this post). My x-box is
> able
> to reach to internet fine (xbox live is working). If I wire the laptop to
> my
> wireless router (which acts as a 4 port hub), then my laptop is able to
> connect to xbox. I remove the laptop from wire and re-connect using
> wireless, i get disconnected from xbox.
> Note that using my laptop (in wired or wireless mode), i am able to access
> any device that is wired to MN-700 router.
>
> My base station information is as follows
>
> Runtime code version: 02.00.08.0333
> Boot code version: 02.00.08.0333
>
> Hardware version: 00.00.00.0004
>
> Can someone help me in solving this problem?
>
> Thanks.
> -Chetan

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
June 10, 2004 1:45:38 PM

First to answer your question. Why am i doing it? I am trying to use
xbconnect (software which allows multiplayer games on internet for xbox. eg.
Halo :)  ). For this, I have xbconnect installed on my laptop.
It works fine when my laptop is wired but does not work when i use wireless
to connect to intranet (LAN).

I haven't tried switching to system link (or it's equivalent). Let me try
that and see how things go.

-Chetan

"Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> When you attempt to connect to the Xbox (I'm trying to figure out why, but
> haven't had much coffee yet) in wireless mode, try changing the settings
> on the Xbox from Infrastructure to System Link. With Infrastructure, your
> setup is accepting the feed from the router to achieve access to the
> Internet, not communicate with another LAN device.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> Associate Expert
>

> "Chetan Nadgouda" <nchetan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a peculiar problem.
>>
>> I have a wireless lan setup at home. I have microsoft wireless router
>> (MN-700). On this i have wired some clients and also have 2 wireless
>> clients. 1 is my laptop and the 2nd one is my x-box (connected wirelessly
>> using mn-740).
>> The problem i am facing is that my laptop (when connected using wireless
>> card) is unable to connect to my xbox (using xbconnect to do so). My
>> laptop
>> on it's own connects to internet fine (writing this post). My x-box is
>> able
>> to reach to internet fine (xbox live is working). If I wire the laptop to
>> my
>> wireless router (which acts as a 4 port hub), then my laptop is able to
>> connect to xbox. I remove the laptop from wire and re-connect using
>> wireless, i get disconnected from xbox.
>> Note that using my laptop (in wired or wireless mode), i am able to
>> access
>> any device that is wired to MN-700 router.
>>
>> My base station information is as follows
>>
>> Runtime code version: 02.00.08.0333
>> Boot code version: 02.00.08.0333
>>
>> Hardware version: 00.00.00.0004
>>
>> Can someone help me in solving this problem?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> -Chetan

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
June 10, 2004 2:41:05 PM

Have you checked the support section for the program you're running? They
may have more information than we will here.
--

!