Sign in with
Your question

platinum ex to replace high end CD player?

Last response: in Components
August 21, 2003 8:24:50 PM

I have an audiophile quality stereo, im wondering if the sound output from these cards can now rival high end stereo CD units (in other words can I use my computer to drive my killer sound system). Ive resisted so far as i didnt think sound output caould rival a top end CD player. If it can, the advantages of running my music off my hard drive is obvious.
August 21, 2003 10:05:32 PM

If you are an audiophile, then no. But you could easily run an optical output to your receiver as an AUX or something.

There are a lot of degraders bewteen the imprecise motor of the CD drive and the actual sound card. A high end CD player D/A conversion and low-pass filter will smear an impulse over approximately ±.1 or .2 ms. Good luck getting that with an Audigy 2. Plus your high-end CD player is going to have high throughput outputs like XLR, TosLink, ST-glass, in addition to S/PDIF.
August 22, 2003 10:12:26 AM

no. computer against mini-compo. i can't compare them but they sound great in different aspects.

<font color=blue>
My computer is <b>sooo fast</b>,
It finished <b>SETI</b> in <b>10 seconds.</b>
<font color=blue>
Related resources
August 22, 2003 10:12:27 AM

no. computer against mini-compo. i can't compare them but they sound great in different aspects.

<font color=blue>
My computer is <b>sooo fast</b>,
It finished <b>SETI</b> in <b>10 seconds.</b>
<font color=blue>
August 23, 2003 7:12:23 AM

I don't have a high end CD player. I use my Sony DVD player. I can say my Audigy 2 sounds better than my DVD player. Also you can use the creative drivers to give you a little more high end if you need it. Does it sound as good as my records? No but I like the high end I can get now with the creative card. Although it is still that kind of harsh CD high end. I think I'm going to try to run my record player through the Audigy 2 and see how it sounds.

These specs are here so I don't have to repeat them. P4 2.4c @ 3.0 ASUS P4P800 dx Geil pc4000 2.5,3,3,6 250FSB 1:1 Radeon 9500 non-pro 2 Maxtor 60gig 7200rpm 8mb cach in raid 0 SB Audigy 2
!