Installing W2K & Partition

JoeHead

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
How come it will not let make a partition on my c: drive?

I have a 30 gig IBM 75GXP (c:) and a 20 gig IBM deskstar (d:)

It only gives me the option on a 8MB section (hmm I think I might partion that for Win2K).

???

if you need more sys info please ask otherwise i won't waste the space.

Ohh by the way 98se in now

<b> Fragg at will!!! </b>

Homicida

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
a harddrive does not have a letter...only a partition has one assigned
so if u aks why u cant make a partition on c: u already have the answer..because it is a partiton...
the 8 meg thing is something strange i also had with my hard drive partitioned with fdisk (first win2k install)..fdisk does not fill this space for some reason

i also have a 75gxp and a 20gig hd (quantum)
i am using a 5gig part for win2k and a few programs [the ones loaded at boot up, or very often (browser) and never turned off(ICQ)]
25gig for other progs games and stuff...
400mb of the 20 gig for the swap file...then a little part for temp stuff and the rest of the drive for data (mp3s,videos...)

with this configuration i dont need to defragmentat all the time
and i think its faster than a single partition system

JoeHead

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
So are you saying I can't partion c: because it is a partition? [-peep-] that is my whole 30 gig!!! Guess it's time for a total reinstall again. DAMN!!!

For some stupid reason I would like to try Me again. I'm stupid like that. Now If I do that and install Win2K on a seperate partition will I be able to reformat my c: (Me) drive and reinstall 98 if I wish to? I hear Win2K must come second for the dual boot?

<b> Fragg at will!!! </b>

Homicida

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yes thats the point..every accesable part of an hard drive is part of a partition
also true: if u install windows 9X after win2k it *ucks up the master boot record...then it will be the only bootable thing...
i personaly have never tried this with win me...but i dont think that there is any difference...

i would say: go with fdisk...delete all partitions...then create 2 3gig parts and install winme and win2k..one os per partition of course...