Dual Boot XP & 98se Performance Lag?

I am considering doing a dual boot with 98se(this is better than ME, right?) and xp pro. I think I have a basic understanding of how to do this, but my concern is performance. Being that xp is installed last(farther out on the hd) and xp will be the main os that I will use 99% of the time, will I see a performance hit? The only reason I am thinking of dual booting is for a few games and some dos fixes for my mother board(getting my cusl2 to run in 4x instead of only 2x). If I do it will I have a performance hit and 2)Can I set it up so it automatically boots in xp and not be bothered with a slower boot up time by haveing to click on the os I wish to use to boot up with.
I appreciate your help and opinions.
I have the maxtor 740dxL 80gig. p3 904 512ram
I was thinking of doing c. 10gig(98se)fat32 d. 10gig(xp)ntfs e. 20gig ntfs f. 20gig ntfs g. 20gig ntfs
What do you think of this?
5 answers Last reply
More about dual boot 98se performance
  1. 1) no performance hit.

2) yes - in XP go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery -> Settings and change the OS and/or the wait time etc.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
  2. What do you think of this?

I was thinking of doing c. 10gig(98se)fat32 d. 10gig(xp)ntfs e. 20gig ntfs f. 20gig ntfs g. 20gig ntfs
    What do you think of this?
  3. NTFS doesn't have the limitations of FAT32, so the cluster sizes don't increase after a certain point. NTFS 5 has 4k clusters, even with large partitions.

Because of this, it isn't necessary to section off a hard drive into several partitions to avoid large cluster sizes and reduce slack space.

How about one 7-10GB partition for the operating system files, and one more 60GB partition for your personal files, games, and third-party programs? You won't have as many drive letters to manage, and the large partition will be just as efficient as a smaller one with NTFS.

Toejam31

<font color=red>First Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=17935" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Devastating Dalek Destroyer</font color=green></A>
    <font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Some push the envelope. Some just lick it. And some can't find the flap."</font color=purple>
  4. Thanks, Thats some Good advice, I will do it.
  5. I did it!!
    thanks for your help
Ask a new question

Read More

Performance Dual Boot Windows XP