Network cards?

eqmassa

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2002
I’ve decided on the hardware for my new gaming rig (Barton 2500, Abit NF7-S, 9800np, WD SE 800JB, etc.), but have yet to pick a network card. My only experience with them is that, on this computer, I used to be on dial-up and was without a card until I got on SBC Global DSL. They just sent me an installation package and I installed the included Ethernet card and software, plugged up the modem, and was ready to go. SBC Global has been alright so far, but then again, this computer is awful so I’m sure I’ll get better performance on my new one.

I’m also sort of at an impasse for a few reasons. I’m moving out in a month and will then need my own ISP, but am currently living with my family who will still be using this PC. I’m not going to buy a router and only use it for a month. Do you guys think it would raise any issues if I just ripped the card I have out of this one, installed it in my new one along with the drivers, subscribed to the internet, and then uninstalled it all when I move? Or is it a better idea to cough up a few bucks for a good Linksys (or something) card so I can just have it sitting there idly? Will this give me performance gains? I do a lot of online gaming and something tells me SBC includes sub-excellent Ethernet cards.

By the way, if you think I should reconsider DSL providers, or go for cable or something (I’m not paying more than $30 per month for a connection), feel free to suggest away J

Gaming PC in progress, suggestions welcome :)

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
eh??? How is that system aweful?
Looks pretty beefy to me.

As far as i can tell the difference between NIC's nowerdays is pretty minimal, unless you have a strange driver conflict or bug.

Expensive NIC's have buffers to slightly lower overheads and improve performance, but it makes little difference.

<b>My Car comes with Hyper Threading enabled:
1970 General Motors Holden HT Kingswood Wagon :smile:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
well dude if i understand your question right, you want to be able to to hook online with the new computer as well as the oler one, though you don't want to buy a router for only a month? well thats easy.. first off, the Abit has onboard LAN. Secondly all you need to do is install a second NIC card in the computer that is making the connection to the internet and run a line between that NIC card's port and the new computer's, then right click on the actual internet connection, click on "properties" then "advanced" and "share" the connection.

<b>don't hold strong opinions about things you don't understand</b>

...<i><b><A HREF="http://home.graffiti.net/error_911:graffiti.net/specs.html" target="_new">system specs</A></b></i>

eqmassa

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2002
In my original post, I meant that my current computer sucks. Those specs are for the one I'm building now.

And are you sure the NF7-S has onboard LAN? Maybe I'm blind, but I couldn't find that anywhere on ABit's website.

Gaming PC in progress, suggestions welcome :)

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Yeah dude check it out <A HREF="http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/techspec.php?categories=1&model=6" target="_new">here</A>... they'd have to be stupid not to put onboard LAN now-a-days.. i mean most of the NForce2-400 boards have dual LAN on top of it.

<b>don't hold strong opinions about things you don't understand</b>

...<i><b><A HREF="http://home.graffiti.net/error_911:graffiti.net/specs.html" target="_new">system specs</A></b></i>