Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 OEM install and recovery.

Last response: in Windows 7
July 21, 2012 4:54:10 PM

I'm building my computer in a couple of days and have just unwittingly bought an OEM copy of windows 7. I intend to use it, because I'm not paying £50 just because I misunderstood Microsofts ambiguous "For system builders only" statement.

My questions are;

1) I will have a 1TB hardrive on its own in my computer, I will be using this for both OS and storage. What size of partition would be ideal to install windows OS on?

2) I currently have a dell laptop, and from time to time I've used a feature that returns everything back to factory settings, wiping my HD but keeping the installation of windows. Is there anyway for me to set something like this up or is there already a feature like this in windows 7?

3) If my hard drive failed for any reason, would I be able to re-install the same copy again?
July 21, 2012 4:54:34 PM

Please answer any question you can :) 
Related resources
a c 416 $ Windows 7
July 21, 2012 5:21:48 PM

A 1 Terabyte drive is 931 GB, i would use 120 GB for the OS.
July 21, 2012 7:10:22 PM

Answers to your questions:
1. the windows 7 software will create the partition for you
2. windows 7 comes with a windows backup and imaging components. I have used them and they work great. You can image to a cd, dvd or external drive
3. Yes, you can reload windows 7 oem on a new drive if you current one fails
July 21, 2012 7:31:57 PM

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks :) 
a b $ Windows 7
July 21, 2012 8:06:06 PM

Hollerrr said:
I'm building my computer in a couple of days and have just unwittingly bought an OEM copy of windows 7. I intend to use it, because I'm not paying £50 just because I misunderstood Microsofts ambiguous "For system builders only" statement.

My questions are;

1) I will have a 1TB hardrive on its own in my computer, I will be using this for both OS and storage. What size of partition would be ideal to install windows OS on?

2) I currently have a dell laptop, and from time to time I've used a feature that returns everything back to factory settings, wiping my HD but keeping the installation of windows. Is there anyway for me to set something like this up or is there already a feature like this in windows 7?

3) If my hard drive failed for any reason, would I be able to re-install the same copy again?

Hi there. The OEM copies of Windows are tied to the system's motherboard. You can reinstall it on that computer as many times as you like. You can swap out pretty much everything else but if you want to change the motherboard you will have to contact Microsoft. Sometimes they are good about resetting the key but it depends whom you talk to.
!