Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

output to sacd

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
August 7, 2005 9:36:49 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

hi guys,
although there's a big technical difference between pcm and dsd, i'm
looking for a software solution to convert high resolution (192Hz 24bit)
pcm audio files to dsd and write a playable sacd.
any help?

bye alex

More about : output sacd

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 9:36:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

ale <sparkwest@yahooc.om> wrote:
>hi guys,
>although there's a big technical difference between pcm and dsd, i'm
>looking for a software solution to convert high resolution (192Hz 24bit)
>pcm audio files to dsd and write a playable sacd.

The Mykerinos might have software to do this available. You may be
dependant on having their DSP card, though.

I am pretty sure that the Meitner box can go both ways as well.
--scott
--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 10:56:43 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"ale" <sparkwest@yahooc.om> wrote in message
news:RErJe.39979$2U1.2289586@news3.tin.it
> hi guys,
> although there's a big technical difference between pcm
> and dsd, i'm looking for a software solution to convert
> high resolution (192Hz 24bit) pcm audio files to dsd and
> write a playable sacd.

AFAIK the Tascam DVRA1000 I saw at HE2005 does it.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DVRA1000/
Related resources
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 11:33:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <XYydnZ2dnZ1KssndnZ2dnTUMa9-dnZ2dRVn-zp2dnZ0@comcast.com>,
arnyk@hotpop.com says...
> "ale" <sparkwest@yahooc.om> wrote in message
> news:RErJe.39979$2U1.2289586@news3.tin.it
> > hi guys,
> > although there's a big technical difference between pcm
> > and dsd, i'm looking for a software solution to convert
> > high resolution (192Hz 24bit) pcm audio files to dsd and
> > write a playable sacd.
>
> AFAIK the Tascam DVRA1000 I saw at HE2005 does it.
>
> http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DVRA1000/

Sadly, no. The Tascam writes DSD to a recordable DVD, giving you a disc
that can be read by another Tascam. The idea, I guess, is that you can
master to DSD and ship it to a disc plant, or dump a two-track field
recording into your DSD workstation.

I don't think anybody has come up with an SACD-R, yet.

-Pete Pollack
me@bignoisybug.com
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 3:56:36 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hi,

> although there's a big technical difference between pcm and dsd, i'm
> looking for a software solution to convert high resolution (192Hz 24bit)
> pcm audio files to dsd and write a playable sacd.
> any help?

No. There's no such thing as an SACD writer.


Daniel
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 9:56:56 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Peter L. Pollack" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
news:MPG.1d60629c3248608a9896ba@newsgroups.comcast.net
> In article
> <XYydnZ2dnZ1KssndnZ2dnTUMa9-dnZ2dRVn-zp2dnZ0@comcast.com>,
> arnyk@hotpop.com says...
>> "ale" <sparkwest@yahooc.om> wrote in message
>> news:RErJe.39979$2U1.2289586@news3.tin.it
>>> hi guys,
>>> although there's a big technical difference between pcm
>>> and dsd, i'm looking for a software solution to convert
>>> high resolution (192Hz 24bit) pcm audio files to dsd and
>>> write a playable sacd.
>>
>> AFAIK the Tascam DVRA1000 I saw at HE2005 does it.
>>
>> http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DVRA1000/
>
> Sadly, no. The Tascam writes DSD to a recordable DVD,
> giving you a disc that can be read by another Tascam.
> The idea, I guess, is that you can master to DSD and ship
> it to a disc plant, or dump a two-track field recording
> into your DSD workstation.
>
> I don't think anybody has come up with an SACD-R, yet.

Then the reason for that probably has to do with the fact
that SACD players have additional hardware features in their
transport that most DVD readers don't have. related to
enciphering. While you can read a DVD-A on a regular DVD
transport, you can't read a SACD the same way.
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 10:35:32 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <dd5tpe$nmj$1@panix2.panix.com> kludge@panix.com writes:

> The Mykerinos might have software to do this available. You may be
> dependant on having their DSP card, though.

Pyramix is the software. Mykerinos is the DSP card. As far as I know,
this and the Meintner system are the only currently commercially
available ways to make a DSD disk from a file. I don't think that what
the TASCAM DVD/DSD recorder makes is playable in a DSD player.

I suspect that the original poster doesn't know how much money he
might be in for to do what he's asking.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 11:42:27 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote in message
news:znr1123460753k@trad

> In article <dd5tpe$nmj$1@panix2.panix.com>
> kludge@panix.com writes:

>> The Mykerinos might have software to do this available.
>> You may be dependant on having their DSP card, though.
>
> Pyramix is the software. Mykerinos is the DSP card.

But, you still can't actually write a playable SACD with
just this, right?

> As far as I know, this and the Meintner system are the
> only
> currently commercially available ways to make a DSD disk

I don't see where the Meitner system can make a playable
SACD, either.

> from a file. I don't think that what the TASCAM DVD/DSD
> recorder makes is playable in a DSD player.

The ads seem to say one thing...

> I suspect that the original poster doesn't know how much
> money he might be in for to do what he's asking.

Agreed. Sony seems to be clearly trying to closely control
who can actually make a SACD master disc.
August 8, 2005 4:19:34 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Mike Rivers ha scritto:
> In article <dd5tpe$nmj$1@panix2.panix.com> kludge@panix.com writes:
>
>
>>The Mykerinos might have software to do this available. You may be
>>dependant on having their DSP card, though.
>
>
> Pyramix is the software. Mykerinos is the DSP card. As far as I know,
> this and the Meintner system are the only currently commercially
> available ways to make a DSD disk from a file. I don't think that what
> the TASCAM DVD/DSD recorder makes is playable in a DSD player.
>
> I suspect that the original poster doesn't know how much money he
> might be in for to do what he's asking.
>
> --
> I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
> However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
> lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
> you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
> and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
Hi mike, i'm the original poster...

We're about to purchase the tascam dv-ra1000 mainly for live recording
instead a traditional CDDA recorder because there are no big difference
in price. dv-ra1000 seems to be a very capable machine in term of audio
resolution. Reading at the spec, i noticed that is able to write the DSD
format to a coventional UDF DVD, NOT compatible with SACD players.
So i'm simply trying to figure out the whole production chain of the
sacd to see if is possible to me write SACD playable discs.
Is pretty obvious that sony developed DSD to be very incompatible with
the traditional PCM of the computer based DAWs, trying to "recreate" the
major leadership in the music production process. In other words, CDDA
is burnable at home, SACD can only be made by sony affiliated.
Again the DSD process is more close to analougue than PCM digital and is
NOT designed to be computer-editable.
So i'm not looking for a pure SACD production process in my daw but,
instead, to burn my high definition material on a better than cd medium
(i suppose that 192 x 24 will translated to sacd better than 44100 16 on
cd) keeping in mind that the native high resolution PCM standard
(DVD-audio) is pretty dead before his birth.
Or even burn in the right way the DSD program outputted by the dv-ra1000.

regards alex
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 4:19:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"ale" <sparkwest@yahooc.om> wrote in message
news:q5IJe.55984$fm.3679786@news4.tin.it

> Is pretty obvious that sony developed DSD to be very
> incompatible with the traditional PCM of the computer
> based DAWs, trying to "recreate" the major leadership in
> the music production process.

Yup, they baited their hook and waited for the audio
industry to bite. For the many years since all sorts of
people have been highly sucessful while ignoring the bait.

> In other words, CDDA is burnable at home,
> SACD can only be made by sony affiliated.

Futhermore, if the so-called high resolution bug has bitten
you, you can always burn DVD-As at home with higher
technical resolution than any SACD by a scosh, and not that
big of an investment.

> Again the DSD process is more close to analougue than PCM
> digital and is NOT designed to be computer-editable.

Actually DSD is just another way to do digital audio. Its
not that hard to make a lossless translation from DSD to PCM
which is a good thing since Sony has admitted that their pro
DSD encoders have a PCM heart.

There's no magic in DSD. The bitrate reduction over that
you'd expect from the bandwidth claims are achieved with
noise-shaped quantization, a process that has worked equally
well for PCM for decades.

> So i'm not looking for a pure SACD production process in
> my daw but, instead, to burn my high definition material
> on a better than cd medium (i suppose that 192 x 24 will
> translated to sacd better than 44100 16 on cd) keeping in
> mind that the native high resolution PCM standard
> (DVD-audio) is pretty dead before his birth.

I'd like to see a clear-cut well-documented proof that SACD
is deader than DVD-A or vice-versa. I have players for
both so this is not a matter of envy.

> Or even burn in the right way the DSD program outputted
> by the dv-ra1000.

It seems like the way to go with $ACD is to line up the
right ma$tering house.
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 4:41:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <g_ydnRGaLbKA2GrfRVn-2Q@comcast.com> arnyk@hotpop.com writes:

> > Pyramix is the software. Mykerinos is the DSP card.
>
> But, you still can't actually write a playable SACD with
> just this, right?

That wasn't what was on my mind when I got the latest sit-down demo of
Pyramix at the NAB show, so I don't know for sure. If it's possible,
they would be the likely candidate though.

> I don't see where the Meitner system can make a playable
> SACD, either.

Geez, well SOMEBODY has to be able to do it before starting up the
presses. Is that Sony? Only? Baloney?





--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
!