Confusion - Single Channel, Dual Channel DDR

Red_Menace

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2003
I'm a bit confused about Dual Channel DDR. I'm interested in buying an NForce2 motherboard. I had always thought that for Dual Channel access you would use two regular PC2700 DDR Dimms ... BUT I have been seeing stores selling RAM marked as 'Dual Channel' RAM. Is there a difference between the RAM that had been used on single channel access motherboards and the RAM used in all the new Dual Channel access motherboards? If so, what are the differences?

fangel

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
I'm not really sure about what u r talking about in the marked "duo channel" ram..
but it is for a fact that duo channel is run with 2 stick of ram...that r identical in size and speed...timing can be different becoz u can only use the slower timing of the 2...
I think what u r saying about "duo channel" ram is that it is ment to be sold as a pack of 2...like the TwinX...
and the basica concept is kinda like having a raid...but for ram...and u double the date rate by doing this....
I believe u can do it will any kind of ram..not just pc2700...(since the new Nforce2 now support PC3200)
If the ram r sold in a pack...they r "Suppost" to match up in 100%....