podcasts? Know anything about xml and rss?

Last response: in Home Audio
August 8, 2005 12:47:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro, (More info?)

Anyone have a source for encoding a finished audio file so it can be
distributed as a podcast?

Thanks,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

More about : podcasts xml rss

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 12:47:33 PM

>>Anyone have a source for encoding a finished audio file so it can be
distributed as a podcast?

You mind find the following link useful:
http://tinyurl.com/3tran

Best of Luck,

Evangelos

%
Evangelos Himonides
IoE, University of London
tel: +44 2076126599
fax: +44 2076126741
"Allas to those who never sing but die with all their music in them..."

Oliver Wendell Holmes
%
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 12:47:33 PM

MIGHT not "mind"...
Apologies!

Evangelos
August 8, 2005 4:41:29 PM

In article <o9WdnZ2dnZ1JXmXHnZ2dnfnJat-dnZ2dRVn-z52dnZ0@comcast.com> tyreeford@comcast.net writes:

> Anyone have a source for encoding a finished audio file so it can be
> distributed as a podcast?

I tried to find out at the NAB show just what a "podcast" is, even
from an exhibitor who was making eqipment specifically for podcasting.
I still don't know what's different (in concept) from any other
downloadable or streaming audio technology. I've been listening to
"the radio" over the Internet for quite some time now. How is a
podcast different, other than that it's typically informal, more like
listening to a blog.

August 8, 2005 8:32:29 PM

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 14:47:32 +0200, Ty Ford wrote:

> Anyone have a source for encoding a finished audio file so it can be
> distributed as a podcast?

Encoding the audiofile to MP3 should work. More info about the RSS XML
file for podcasts you find at: http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss

For the site of my son I've generated a XML file and added a podcast
link. I think it works, as we do get hits.

--
Chel van Gennip
Visit Serg van Gennip's site http://www.serg.vangennip.com

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 18:41:29 +0200, Mike Rivers wrote:

> In article <o9WdnZ2dnZ1JXmXHnZ2dnfnJat-dnZ2dRVn-z52dnZ0@comcast.com>
> tyreeford@comcast.net writes:
>
>> Anyone have a source for encoding a finished audio file so it can be
>> distributed as a podcast?
>
> I tried to find out at the NAB show just what a "podcast" is, even from
> an exhibitor who was making eqipment specifically for podcasting. I
> still don't know what's different (in concept) from any other
> downloadable or streaming audio technology. I've been listening to "the
> radio" over the Internet for quite some time now. How is a podcast
> different, other than that it's typically informal, more like listening
> to a blog.

I don't think it adds much. I tried my and other podcast with iTunes, and
they did not even stream. The information in the XML file already is in
the MP3 file, and I think the MP3 file itself is a better place for this
information. (I never liked the idea of forked files etc.) I do prefer a
playlist file like the well known .m3u files. A website with playlist
links where needed is IMHO much better than a podcast file. It looks like
someone is trying to reinvent the web.

But podcasts are a hype, if a lot of poeple like them why not give them
the podcasts?

--
Chel van Gennip
Visit Serg van Gennip's site http://www.serg.vangennip.com
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 8:58:40 PM

Mike Rivers wrote:
> In article <o9WdnZ2dnZ1JXmXHnZ2dnfnJat-dnZ2dRVn-z52dnZ0@comcast.com> tyreeford@comcast.net writes:
>
> > Anyone have a source for encoding a finished audio file so it can be
> > distributed as a podcast?
>
> I tried to find out at the NAB show just what a "podcast" is, even
> from an exhibitor who was making eqipment specifically for podcasting.
> I still don't know what's different (in concept) from any other
> downloadable or streaming audio technology. I've been listening to
> "the radio" over the Internet for quite some time now. How is a
> podcast different, other than that it's typically informal, more like
> listening to a blog.

just the other night I was listening to podcasts off of itunes. Worked
fine. I assumed the meaning of a podcast was one created using an iPod.
Can you record straight to an iPod? I think so. I also assumed the
phenomena's buzz was based on their also being a ton of iPod so the
name for just making your own distributable broadcast was taken from
the most iconic format. I also assumed it was in the ACC format. I
still don't know what RSS is really. Some kind of streaming scripting
stuff?

Mike
!