Sign in with
Your question

Can't get past "starting windows" on Windows 7

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
July 21, 2012 11:43:13 PM

I was playing around with OC'ing my GTX580s and had a system freeze. It's happened plenty of times on me before and upping the gpu voltage usually fixed the issue. This last time though it won't get past "starting windows".

Any idea what I should try to fix this?

Update: It won't boot in safe mode either.
July 22, 2012 12:08:28 AM

For this i would recommend giong into th BIOS and restoring the default settings, or return the OC settings to ones that you know worked. if that doesnt work try booting from your windows 7 disc and do a repair.
m
l
July 22, 2012 12:14:03 AM

I can do the first thing, but I cannot get into Windows to return the OC settings to normal. It wants to run chkdsk so I'm letting it do that this time.
m
l
Related resources
July 22, 2012 12:19:00 AM

You do not need windows to return the settings. all of it can be done in your BIOS menu. Did you use the BIOS or a third party application to overclock?
m
l
July 22, 2012 12:40:57 AM

I used the Asus BIOS program to OC the CPU and MSI Afterburner or EXGA Precision X to do the GPU.
m
l
July 22, 2012 12:47:47 AM

Restart the computer by holding down the power button then press it again. spam the delete button to enter the bios. i am assuming this board has uefi which i am not familiar with, but inside of there you should be able to find an option to return the cmos to default
m
l
July 22, 2012 12:55:29 AM

I reset everything to default in BIOS and it booted. Still want to do a CHKDSK but I canceled it. I think my EVGA driver might be causing the issue.
m
l
July 22, 2012 1:09:12 AM

So you booted into windows? if it is still wants to do a chkdsk allow it to and update all drivers.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 22, 2012 1:21:39 AM

Normally when playing about with overclocking your computer, and the overclocking fails you reset the CMOS memory and perform a CHKDSK of your hard drive. This is standard practice, failure to do this can lead to confusion as to why problems occur.
m
l
July 22, 2012 1:21:56 AM

Yeah, I got into Windows. It wants to do a CHKDSK on my 3rd hard drive. Not sure why.
m
l
July 22, 2012 1:36:36 AM

See, this is some peoples problem with "Overclocking" they either just set some default random setting and hit OVERCLOCK and months later they wonder why they have issues. Your overclock is at fault. From now on, don't use the BIOS to do your GPU overclocking. Use a easier program like evga precision x or msi afterburner. read a guide on overclocking before overclocking. If you experience trouble like high temps or system failers. see a doctor as you may have serious computer problems
m
l
July 23, 2012 4:00:35 PM

Rockdpm said:
See, this is some peoples problem with "Overclocking" they either just set some default random setting and hit OVERCLOCK and months later they wonder why they have issues. Your overclock is at fault. From now on, don't use the BIOS to do your GPU overclocking. Use a easier program like evga precision x or msi afterburner. read a guide on overclocking before overclocking. If you experience trouble like high temps or system failers. see a doctor as you may have serious computer problems

I didn't use the BIOS to OC the gpu. I only used the BIOS to OC the cpu... and I used the ASUS preset OC at that.

I used MSI Afterburner to OC the gpus. I believe the issue was NVidia's driver. That wasn't the first time it caused issues for me.
m
l
!