Dual Booting

simontompkins

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
Hi

I've dual booted before, I don't like a dual boot option at start up so for this and other reasons this is what I'd like to do. Please don't suggest any other way of doing this, i know I could do it differently, what I'm hoping for are comments about whether the following will work ok.

I've got two hard drives on my computer. One boots and runs Windows 7 64 bit the other (also internal) I use for storage.

What I'd like to do is:

1. Disconnect the windows 7 64 bit drive.
2. Install a new version of Windows 7 32 bit onto the other drive.
3. Reconnect the windows 7 64 bit drive.
4. Dual boot by choosing either drive in the BIOS.

I've heard this works but I've never tried it. Both drives will have been set to active so when I reconnect the other drive, will I just be able to select the drive I want to boot from with no problems. Will the BIOS and OS be able to change a drive to active and as a slave to the other, back and forward as and when I boot into the other drive?

You want a daul boot without the software boot menu - I aggree.

This works great if your MB has an option to Hit a key during post to select boot menu.
On My Gigabyte MB it is F12, on My Asrock MB it is F11.

1) Disconnect your win 64 HDD.
2) With the Other HDD connected, install your windows 32
3) When done reconnect your other HDD. Enter Bios an set Boot priority to the drive you most often want to boot to.

When you power on (or reboot) the system will boot to what is set in Bios. To select the other HDD just hit the "hot Key" to select your Boot menu and select the other HDD. NOT This does NOT change Boot priority in Bios.
Which ever HDD is selected to boot to will be the "C" drive. and the Other HDD will become say "D" drive - Depends on your partitioning of the two drives.

If Your MB does not allow for HOT key selecting Boot menu, then Yes you can simply enter BIOS and change boot priority - In either case, NO Need to disconnect / reconnect drives, and THIS IS NOT a software boot process that can screw up drives later on.

simontompkins

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
Hi Retired Chief

sorry for not thanking you sooner.

Thank you ever so much. Thank you for answering the question as asked really appreciated.

Just bought the new system so didn't know new motherboards had this feature so I checked and mine does - thanks for the heads up. Thanks especially for giving me peace of mind