Tascam M-15 desk (follow-up)

Last response: in Home Audio
August 8, 2005 12:59:49 PM

Just thought I'd give you guys an update, seeing as you helped me out
so much with desk a couple of months back!

We just finished our first (fairly brief) session with the desk and I
must say we were very pleased with the results from our simple setup.

We ran some cheapo T-Bone drum mics into the Tascam M-15 desk, out of
the busses into an M-Audio 1010LT in a PC running Cubase SX2, then back
out of the 1010 into a pair of Alesis M1 powered monitors. We had some
problems with the wiring of the headphone cables in the snake which
meant we couldn't feed the sound back into the live room, so we had to
take a headphone feed directly out of a POD for the drummer to play
along to in order to keep the isolation. That's the first thing to fix!
As it happened though, that worked very well as it meant there was some
"player interaction" in the live room, rather than a dividing wall
between them.

We were fortunate in that the band has just got a new drummer who is
very good, very consistent (hard hitting, but consistently so!) and
also has a very nice kit so that helped things go smoothly. More to the
point he knows how to tune it well and spent an hour or so getting it
sounding good before we started micing up. The T-Bone mics were cheap
but the snare & tom mics are actually not bad - perfectly adequate for
us at the moment, although the bass drum mic wasn't up to much. Just
about passable, but it's definitely the next thing to upgrade.

The desk generally ran very well, there's a sticky VU meter on Bus 8
and one of the higher channels is shot (21 or 22, can't remember which
now) but we're extremely unlikely to use more than 6-8 channels at a
time, so nothing to worry about. Ran very quietly to my ears, no
noticeable background noise or hum. Not bad for a freebie!

All in all, very pleased! Can't wait to get back in and do a little
more.

Thanks guys, sorry for the ramble.

Tim

More about : tascam desk follow

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 1:35:13 AM

Good work!

Wish more people would be like you and willing to work with what
you got and make the most of it instead of constantly trying to buy
more gear that they don't need!

It pushes your talents alot more, and makes you discover how to record
with what you got to the best of it's abilities! :)

I remeber having done some real nice work on a Yamaha 4track cassette 10yrs
ago!
Heck, some of those recordings on Metal tapes still compare favourably.

It was so much a matter of mic placment and careful techniques that stayed
with me over the years. Simple things like not going over in the "red" too
often,
watching the levels, using a compressor sparingly, but most importantly....
GOOD MUSICIANS!!

Good luck & have fun.

Mario

do things instead of having