Sign in with
Your question

First Quad Core Laptop Now Available!!!

Last response: in Laptop General Discussion
March 19, 2007 5:57:28 AM

Hypersonic PC has recently began taking orders for the Aviator EQ7 laptop.

What sets this machine apart from everything else is that it contains a system board based on the Santa Rosa platform and is capable of using desktop Intel "Conroe" processors, including Quad Core.

Full specs can be found HERE.

Using the lower-voltage Conroe processors has increased battery time a good 2 hours compared to the previous high-end Clevo-based models that used FX-60/P4 processors.

Another unique innovation this laptop brings is the use of three (3) hard drives. Not only does this provide storage capacity unheard of until now, but thanks to the integrated ICH8R chipset it allows for the first time RAID 5 configurations, offering impressive hard drive speeds with full data protection.

The unit is big, 11.75"W x 15.5"D x 2.35"H, weighs in around 11.5 pounds, and comes in various high-quality paint finishes.

Making the deal even more sweet, it will be the first laptop to sport the upcoming DX10 GeForce Go 8800 series video cards, in SLI.

Prices start at $2,745. Fully configured with 3-year warranty = $5,355.00.

I want one! :twisted:

More about : quad core laptop

March 20, 2007 12:43:05 AM

That thing'sa monster! Sweet too.
March 23, 2007 12:16:58 AM

A bit chunky, but I love the RAID 5 option.
Related resources
March 24, 2007 8:37:41 PM

Before you go getting all worked up on this system I may have some information that can help you get over the glorious DESKTOP Quadcore chip fantasy REAL FAST.

1.) It has a 965 chipset.
There are only 4 revisions of the 965 that can take a Quadcore.

2.) It is a desktop chip. Read heat & juice.

3.) It is SLI in a 17" chassis. I would really like to know how they are planning on powering 2 GPU's and a Quadcore.

4.) This model is based on a chassis & motherboard previously released with an incredibly high RMA rate.

5.) NEVER pre-order any notebook that is scheduled for release "mid-May"

I would recommend a mobile chip in a notebook. I would also recommend NON SLI in a 17" chassis as the next gen of single GPU systems will be out about the same time as this model.

I will be getting this model to evaluate and mod to see if the heat can be brought down to an acceptable level and if they have done anything more than update the chipset on a dog of a system.

March 26, 2007 6:12:56 AM

Appreciate the feedback. Be sure to get back here when you've had a chance to get your hands on the unit.
March 26, 2007 3:27:57 PM

I wanted to add this as I forgot to in the first post.

Of course I want to get the best price on power supplies etc. so I called the company that supplies me with all my power cords for around the world.

I told them of the requirements for my 20.1" dual GPU Assassin system, this still has a mobile CPU, but the 20.1" dual lamp LCD... it's going to use some power, but still less than the beast we are talking about here.

The QuadCore desktop chip uses 120 watts at performance levels, that's allot of wattage. Anyway, back to the Assassin power supply (for a lessor comparison sake), the guy literally said, "Holy cow! That is a huge amount of juice to be running through a notebook." That's from a company dealing with this stuff every day. That power supply weighs about 5 pounds alone, it is literally only slightly shorter than a brick you would use on your house. Something else to consider, may or may not be a factor to you.

Now someone had said earlier there was a RAID5 option on this notebook. RAID5 requires 3 hard drives (minimum). What does this thing have a 650 watt external power supply? At some point you might want to look at a portable LAN type case instead of a notebook. I am designing on that can accept an extended ATX board (most of them now are micro-ATX capable only) with Dual Quad Core XEON's and I can put a WUXGA 17" screen on the thing and it would probably be lighter!

March 26, 2007 11:14:33 PM

You make an interesting observation. The previous D900 series Clevo machines were available with the 3.8GHz Pentium 4 670, which is a 115W part. If the quad core runs at 120W then there is not much difference in power usage, except the fact that the old beast used two hard drives and one GPU while this latest monster needs to power three drives and two GPU.

The difference in power that one extra drive and graphics card will eat is probably only a few more amps. The real issue is power dissipation. Those 220W bricks get hot enough already and I don't think a 250W one would be cooler, hence the bigger heatsinks and larger size brick.
March 26, 2007 11:27:11 PM

The heat that all that extra will generate is sizable as the difference between a 7900 GTX and a 7950 GTX is quite a bit.

There was actually another post where the guys power supply brick kept failing because (evidentially) it was overheating. I'll probably need a heatsink mod for the freaking power brick too! Have some sort of solifd AL case that is fluted on 3 sides for it or something.

I also wanted to mention that nVidia recommends a 400 watt 26 AMP ps (on the 12 volt rail) for a desktop 8800. That's a minimum that I will personally guaranty is not enough power supply to work properly on a desktop, but the key is 26 AMPs on the 12 volt rail.

I wonder if notebook accidental insurance from www.safeware.com includes if your notebook burns your house down ?!?
April 11, 2007 5:01:19 AM

I just got word, like I said before... these notebooks are not Quad core capable, will NOT ship with 8800 GTX GPU's.

How are these guys going to explain that to all their pre-orders?
April 17, 2007 1:19:40 AM

I'm guessing the next 2-5 months will give a better picture - I'm sure you know that when you're dealing with bleeding-edge, you do cut yourself here and there.

I just read elsewhere that this particular platform should be using the newer T7700 cpu. It seems we will need to wait until Intel introduces the quad-core Penryn in H12008 for a true mobile quad core solution.
April 17, 2007 1:10:20 PM

Well one thing to note all high end Desktops replacements are large and only last a hour mybe 2 on battery. Which is good when the Power out or short trips. I would go for a laptop that uses quad cores. But it would be year or more for that tech where you can control all cpu to save power. So if you want one cores running at 970mhz and the other 3 cores asleep.

I think Hard drive on laptops where there 2 or 3 hard drives. or even in partions. Setup where you can turn off hard drives you dont use and limit large hard drives Partions to save power.

But you have to pick laptops that you like. But the Spec of this desktop Replacement has No Quadcore. Pro-Star Has the same chasie. But the company tht make Pro Star or hypersonic setups have reliable setups and don't run super hot. They have good cooling systems.

Two GPUs. If it was in a laptop I would like a option to disable one on the road so I dont waste battery power.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13 Ghz
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40 Ghz
Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66 Ghz
Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 2.93 Ghz

One other thing is I did not see anyone say there quad core.

Question I have is the 20.1 inch laptop Amd?
April 17, 2007 2:28:58 PM

Luscious,
I would definitely wait for a mobile QC. A desktop chip in a notebook is just so asking for trouble. I wouldn't say it if this was the first time they tried it, and they were unknowing of what would most likely happen, but they HAVE tried it, and should no it is a hair-brained idea.

On a side note... Looks like DELL will have some version of a 8600 mobile GPU months before everyone else again in another one their infamous "DELL Exclusive" back-door deals. Wouldn't it be nice if the playing field was level?" Why don't these other companies file a complaint with the FTC on this stuff? IT is hardly fair competition.

AtolSammeek:
Quote:
...the [ODM] tht make any of these setups have reliable setups and don't run super hot. They have good cooling systems.
This statement is based on what? If the cooling were that good, I probably wouldn't have gone through the trouble to design and manufacture my own custom heatsink and case mods for the 7950... let alone the 88xx class GPU's.
If the cooling was even adequate then why was the RMA rate of the chassis this system is based on so high?

Brother, a statement from someone with many, many posts would obviously be given credence...
How can you commend the efficiency of the cooling of a GPU and CPU... in fact, let's just say the entire chassis of a system that isn't even released yet?
I don't want to set you off, but allot of people read Tom's and other forums and take them as gospel, your post is obviously a misplaced opinion, yet it is stated as fact.

April 17, 2007 5:41:34 PM

The one that scares me about using a desktop cpu in a notebook is heat. The desktop chips are only rated to 60 degrees Celcius. A mobile cpu is rated to 100 degrees Celcius.
For giggles, find and load TAT (Intel's Thermal Anaylis Tool). Start a cpu run with 100% load. Most cpu's will hit well over 60 degrees Celcius in a few short minutes inside a notebook... that would fry a desktop chip.

They had better of done some serious cooling to these boxes...
April 18, 2007 12:44:56 AM

Well cfisherrktk if your right I bet people who over clock Desktop cpus would be upset. I think it best to get your facts right. I have ask a few areas and there all saying Intel core 2 laptop and desktop cpus are rated 100c.

Quote:
The one that scares me about using a desktop cpu in a notebook is heat. The desktop chips are only rated to 60 degrees Celcius. A mobile cpu is rated to 100 degrees Celcius.
For giggles, find and load TAT (Intel's Thermal Anaylis Tool). Start a cpu run with 100% load. Most cpu's will hit well over 60 degrees Celcius in a few short minutes inside a notebook... that would fry a desktop chip.
April 18, 2007 1:22:08 AM

Yea Chris... get your facts straight! This chart right here from Intel, which is part of the thermal dynamic data sheet for the boxed C2D desktop processors shows that you are absolutely right! errrrrrr, wait a minute :? .

e6700 Core 2 Duo temps in overclocking
Quote:
The maximum recommended temperature for a E6700 is 60.1C

22 forum pages of temps from processor temps database.

Overclockers AU Quad Core temps.

Link to Wikipedia removed because AtolSammeek takes offense to information from Wiki, even if it is supported by 4 other links, including the actual manufacturers thermal specs."

Chris, from now on please site credible sources like these if you want to be taken seriously...
Quote:
I have ask a few areas and there all saying Intel core 2 laptop and desktop cpus are rated 100c.

Take a look at the manufacturer rated CPU power consumption, vs actual system power consumption

Stick that puppy in a notebook chassis once (the quad core is on the bottom) 267 watts!
April 18, 2007 2:48:31 AM

Sorry I would not trust wikipedia. It was funny a guy in CPU Forum tired quoting everything in Wikpedia. Why not get some info from intel.

Article Discussion Edit this page History

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:About

Allowing anyone to edit Wikipedia means that it is more easily vandalized or susceptible to unchecked information later needing removal. While blatant vandalism is usually easily spotted and rapidly corrected, Wikipedia is more subject to subtle vandalism and viewpoint promotion than a typical reference work. While Wikipedia articles generally attain a good standard after editing, it is important to note that fledgling, or less well monitored, articles may be susceptible to vandalism and insertion of false information. Wikipedia's radical openness also means that any given article may be, at any given moment, in a bad state, such as in the middle of a large edit, or a controversial rewrite. Many contributors do not yet comply fully with key policies, or may add information without citable sources. Wikipedia's open approach tremendously increases the chances that any particular factual error or misleading statement will be relatively promptly corrected. Numerous editors at any given time are monitoring recent changes and edits to articles on their watchlist.

I think we should have them do test or find reviews and see what the temp on the laptops are. So it shows both CPU temp and Raw power.
April 18, 2007 3:06:51 AM

And the direct link to Intel's own spec sheet for thermal dynamics on the processors in question that they make? Which BTW is the VERY FIRST link.

And the 22 pages of forum posts of hard core clock-jockies?

And OverClockers.com!?!

You are trying to distill the entire post down to a single Wikipedia link to what?
To somehow invalidate the facts of the statement, or to grasp at something... anything that you can point to to shift the focus from yet another one of your hair-brained pronouncements.
You can't be serious right now.

I think we need to again re-affirm our love for Atol with hugs to calm him down.
April 18, 2007 3:15:01 AM

How many times are you going to edit your post?!?

Now that you added:
Quote:
I think we should have them do test or find reviews and see what the temp on the laptops are. So it shows both CPU temp and Raw power.

The notebook is NOT EVEN RELEASED YET! And who is THEM?

Even the edited version makes no sense.
April 18, 2007 5:54:14 AM

what wrong Killernotebook. You did not see the (edit this page) on wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_2

Here let make it clear for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Intel_Core_2&...

Please keep worshiping Wikipedia But like I pointed out before Wikipedia can be edited by anyone. It funny Teachers from All school to Collage Tell everyone wikipedia is not reliable

Then this bring up another question if the notebook not released yet why are you pouting about it. Mybe it has a good cooling system. Yet you bashing it already.

Why dont we get a little more info. http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=110398
April 18, 2007 1:45:35 PM

You know Atol, you're still focusing on Wikipedia, which at this point, makes you look so foolish it isn't even funny.

Here's what I will do, I will go to the original post I made, I will take out the 1 link to Wikipedia (out of 5, one being from the manufacturer of the chip itself, and another from 22 forum pages of overclockers... all of which say the exact same thing BTW)

Quote:
Then this bring up another question if the notebook not released yet why are you pouting about it. Mybe it has a good cooling system. Yet you bashing it already.
I am "pouting about it? That's just stupid, Atol, I have said over and over that I am going to get the notebook, I am going to test the notebook, and if the thing works, I might even sell the notebook, BUT I'm not going to sell something that is junk, and I am certainly NOT going to hype something and cover up the fact the CORE of this thing has has some major problems in the past!

I know the chassis it is based off of, it is little more than a chipset update to it. I know the history of that chassis, and that its RMA rate is astronomical. Is this something you want to throw more heat, more power requirements and more do-dads into? No, it's something you should know before you invest hard earned currency into something that is a proven dog.

I know the history of several notebooks that have been based of desktop chips from all sorts of different ODM's and the one underlying trait to ALL of them is. "they suck."

Not only that, but the dual 8800 GTX is removed from the spec's, just like I have been saying for months. That was the first thing they hyped... which was wrong. Your other reliable source being Notebook Review is little more than a mass of Sager distributors running around like lemmings hyping products... but what do they actually tell you about them?

I think I would trust the guy that says, "Wait, don't get caught up in the hype... let ME get it, take the risk and test it before I put a stamp of approval on it." Who are you getting a straight answer from? Two weeks wait or a month, in the long run can save a person A LOT of headaches and frustration. Whenever you are looking forward a month seems like such a long time, but when you look BACK you always come to the realization... "What was I so pumped up about? I should have just waited."

I have tried to educate you in the past Atol, but it is always the same. I thank you though, because I realized something...
You have no idea what you're talking about...
So how could you possibly know what I am talking about?

April 18, 2007 2:48:56 PM

My facts are straight.
http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/315...
If you get the extreme QX6700 and push the voltage up to 130watts, you can get a max temp of 64.5 degres Celcius.

The Core2Duo mobile technical sheets have them at 100 degrees Celcius..

Just look through the data sheets published by Intel.... all the information you need to know is in those pdf's and there are a ton of them.

edit: Just to head it off... The maxium temps are recommendations. Like clock timings, some can take more heat, some can't before going terminal. But you won't know your cpu's absolute maximum until you fry it because to exceed those rated temps, you'll have to by pass the protection programming that would of otherwise shut you down.

My original point was that the mobile processors are more capable of dealing with heat (a big problem in notebooks) than desktop cpu's. It can be done, but I'd rather have the elaborate cooling and the mobile cpu.
April 18, 2007 3:19:13 PM

My point exactly... I just put a wee bit more sarcasm on it.
April 18, 2007 5:20:20 PM

Quote:
My point exactly... I just put a wee bit more sarcasm on it.

really :lol:  ... I just went through 4 pages of the temp arguements over at overclock.net. Damn desktop users calling me retarded for going over 60 degrees. Didn't matter that I linked Intel's tech docs or even posted a TAT run @ stock timings showing 81 degrees. Did they think we should underclock our rigs to get below their desktop limitations?

For grins: TAT 100% run with stock
April 18, 2007 11:07:27 PM

What your problem is killernotebook your not looking at a website that talking about it. You seem to be one sided. I rather Beleave Andrew from Notebookreview then you. Why he doing his Research. All your doing is Bashing. It seems when a laptop is faster then anything you sell you get upset. Then you bash anyone that disagrees with you.

I would love you post on Notebookreview and post your views. I wonder what people will tell you.
April 18, 2007 11:21:26 PM

Chief, his source is a Sager distributor that doesn't even build the notebooks!

It is distributed by the EXACT same 1st tier distributor that I use, and IF you could READ, which after this exchange I can see you obviously can't...
I will carry the machine IF after my testing it freaking works and isn't just an albatross on my customers!

You talk about quoting Wikipedia, then you quote an individual post on NotebookReview... how is that not the exact same thing! I'd also like to add, this is the same source that said up and down the thing would have dual 8800 GTX cards, and I said it wouldn't! Now you see that it has 7950 GTX cards LIKE I SAID! So maybe you should take a tally of who knows WTF they are talking about before you lose any last bit of credability you may still have.

So again, after all your impotent anger, you still don't know what you're talking about.
You sure can change the subject enough times though. Sheesh, let it go!
You are completely grasping at straws right now.
April 19, 2007 3:57:06 AM

Well at least at notebookreview they research. If there wrong they fix it.

I think you need stop acting like a baby and have your diapers change.
April 19, 2007 12:50:36 PM

Quote:
That is funny coming from the guy who has been proven wrong this whole post and can't face it.

I only posted 5 different links of research for you so you wouldn't have to lift a finger to do your homework, yet you want to argue with INTEL's OWN WHITEPAPERS ON THEIR OWN PRODUCTS! You want to you want to quote sources that have been proven wrong.

Why don't you ask the "all knowing source" over there what he's going to do about all the systems he pre-sold saying they were going to have 8800 GTX cards, when they are going to be released 7950 GTX's in there? That's quite a difference isn't it? He was wrong... How did he "fix that" While you're at it, ask him the 965 chipset revision the machine has, because the data sheet simply states 965 chipset, not exactly enough to go on to claim quad-core support.

Why would a reader of these posts take the word of anyone who is pre-selling a computer they have simply a spec-sheet on? The guys pre-selling are never going to touch or see that machine because THEY DON'T BUILD THEM! You can do that, that's fine. All I am saying is I happen to know what I am doing since... I AM DOING IT, and since I actually stand behind my product I am going to tell you straight and NOT pre-sell anything with this kind of a history!

I can't go back and forth with you anymore Atol because you are just wasting my time. You have NEVER at ANY TIME answered or addressed one of my points, and when faced with overwhelming evidence to the contrary of what you are saying you simply change the subject to something irrelevant to the topic.

My entire post revolves around the point that you can weld a rocket engine on a tricycle, but that doesn't make it a good choice to put your butt on the seat! By all means Atol, pre-buy that notebook... oh yea, you aren't even getting this notebook! You are arguing just to try to prove someone wrong.
April 19, 2007 3:36:27 PM

Quote:

I think you need stop acting like a baby and have your diapers change.

Atol, I think you need to re-evaluate; near as I can tell, you are a troll. Your facts are forum post. You argue against published Intel tech specs. You change subjects instead of admitting you were wrong.

I read that long forum post over there. It seems like a few people kinda know some things, but most of it is simply based on a quick spec. They admittedly state that they are best guessing. All anyone knows is Clevo is putting out a new rig that uses SLi and Intel desktop cpus and chipsets.

There haven't been any published test. One of the posters "in the know" stated it wouldn't work with Quadcore. They've said it won't ship with a 8800. All in all, no one really knows what this machine is about... but that won't stop them from pre-sales :roll: It also scares me that they are going to be the "tech support", and don't even know to much about it.

Mark @ Killernotebooks isn't selling the "well Clevo told me it'd work" (and ignoring that even they are changing the specs a few weeks before release). Also keep in mind that if Clevo is going to hit the April/May mark, this rig is already being produced; but they don't have hard specs. Something doesn't sound right. Mark's holding off until he makes sure he won't pass a pos onto his customers. He's asking questions that can't be answered from a quick spec. He earns my respect because he won't sell what he doesn't fully know.... You on the other hand Atol, are trusting guys who will just sell you something they saw a spec sheet on. None of them have even layed their hands on this rig.

I'm with Mark on this one.. let's just wait and see how it test before getting all wet and bothered.
April 19, 2007 9:07:23 PM

Quote:
Mark @ Killernotebooks isn't selling the "well Clevo told me it'd work" (and ignoring that even they are changing the specs a few weeks before release). Also keep in mind that if Clevo is going to hit the April/May mark, this rig is already being produced; but they don't have hard specs. Something doesn't sound right. Mark's holding off until he makes sure he won't pass a pos onto his customers. He's asking questions that can't be answered from a quick spec. He earns my respect because he won't sell what he doesn't fully know.... You on the other hand Atol, are trusting guys who will just sell you something they saw a spec sheet on. None of them have even layed their hands on this rig.

I'm with Mark on this one.. let's just wait and see how it test before getting all wet and bothered.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. The hype that this product has generated with its wild performance claims, dubious marketing, incomplete specifications and lack of availability raises a lot of yellow flags. But as impressive as the previous Clevo 900 models may have been, we still shouldn't assume that a newer replacement will be the same or better, especially when you acknowledge the fact that nobody has yet to even see a working unit or determine its ultimate capabilities.

If you see the pictures of it on the Sager website, you'll notice the two GPU cards, the area where the CPU is supposedly located, the 3 hard drives and the optical drive. But you'll also notice space for what appears to be a second optical drive located on the other side, an option that I have yet to see any vendor offer. Squeezing all of that into a 17" form-factor would indeed be an amazing achievement in itself, let alone support a fire-breathing quad-core processor.

EDIT - The space I am referring to above is not a second optical drive bay but the BATTERY COMPARTMENT. :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  My bad!

If it can handle a quad-core, that's great! If not, then Penryn will be only less than a year down the road - I'll wait that little bit longer.

KN - I will be very interested to read your feedback on this baby when it arrives. Its too bad the trolls have made this discussion go so off-topic. Don't let them ruin your day!
April 19, 2007 10:23:53 PM

How's the quad core colossus build going?

I am designing and fab'ing a case for an ATX serverboard that is (hopefully coming in at) 12"x12"x9" (down from 15"x15'x9" for an Ex-ATX board) that will have dual quad core XEON's and 6 memory slots with a 8800 GTX 768 MB right now.

The case fan on it is an industrial 300 CFM fan that blows straight through the dual heatsinks of the CPU's the memory and a 8800 GTX reverse 6 heatpipe cooler right out the back!

When you step out of the shower it can blow you dry like one of those hand dryers in the bathroom.

If you need Opteron Server chips or XEON server chips let me know as I have them for a song.
April 20, 2007 3:06:42 AM

WHAAA!?!?!?! All you need is to tell me it has SCSI drives and I'm off to marry it...
April 20, 2007 6:02:17 PM

JasumX it has:
(2) 5320 XEON Quad Cores (@15 Ghz processing power)
(2) Dynatron heatsinks & fans.
(2) 10,000 rpm Raptors in a RAID0 array for program and OS
(2) 400 Gig 7,200 rpm (I believe with 16 MB cache) for data/media etc.
(4) 1 GB FB-RAM chips (6 total slots)
(1) 8800 GTX 768 MB with special cooling (stock cooling completely removed)
(1) SoundBlaster Audigy x (I have to look what revision)
(1) Lightscribe DL DVD
(1) 650 watt Antec PS
(1) Oringinally I got a ThermalTake Shark all aluminum case but designed & manufactured a custom mini-case for it (which is almost done).

To say the thing is fast is an understatement. I haven't found anything to even come close to testing the ballz this thing has.

a b D Laptop
April 20, 2007 7:40:54 PM

8O

That thing is incredible! but...one must ask... how badly would my wallet explode?
May 18, 2007 3:25:59 PM

(Not) the first hyped up flop!
You know, you hear allot of things from these distributors puppets like, "We are the same as Killer Notebooks.", and "We will have 8800 graphics cards out by MAY '07", and "We will have quad core laptops in MAY '07".

This so called Quad Core 8800 GTX system is actually a 7950 GTX, and a Core 2 Extreme (Not Quad Core). Wow! How did those "pre-orders go?

How do you, as a customer feel when you get called up (or maybe just receive) a system that isn't anything like you were told it would be?

Seriously, consider who you are going to buy from, because these are going to be the companies that either stay in business or go out of business tomorrow.

May 19, 2007 5:30:24 PM

Quote:

What sets this machine apart from everything else is that it contains a system board based on the Santa Rosa platform and is capable of using desktop Intel "Conroe" processors, including Quad Core.

Using the lower-voltage Conroe processors has increased battery time a good 2 hours compared to the previous high-end Clevo-based models that used FX-60/P4 processors.

First, I doubt this laptop is using santa rosa platform.
As KillerNoteBooks stated, this thing will take way too much power!
That much power means much more hea... Where is this heat gonna go? this small chasis is stacked with hdds, dual gpu, desktop parts (more heat, more juice). Doesnt that sound a little unreliable?

U'd better buy a desktop with a nice portable case than get that kind of laptop.

If ure looking for a laptop, you can get something very nice with the new Centrino pro platform (Santa rosa). E7500 + Geforce 8 + 4GB memory + 7200 rpm hdd + 1GB Flash memory + wireless N... about 2500 - 3000$
May 19, 2007 5:46:34 PM

Well, now that you mention it, Santa Rosa is something a little different.
It was designed for the mobile platform, mobile sockets etc.
This is a desktop chip, in the 965 chipset family.

I should be getting one of these next week to test out to see if it will truely work with a quad-core or not.

What I am thinking is that a quad core and 2 GPUs will generate too much heat. Maybe 1 GPU and a quad core will be a sweet spot with a custom CPU & GPU cooler. I believe their thinking is to use this chassis with the 8800 cards when they are released in 4Q this year. If that is the case, then a single 8800 card will be more than enough (and will probably need additional cooling).
August 11, 2007 9:13:49 AM

Wanted to update this thread:

Eurocom is now offering configurations with Q6600 and Q6700 quad-cores. I guess this answers all the rumors that were flying around these many months. They seem to, however, be using the newer G0 stepping Intel chips which come in at 95W. This is certainly a lot more doable than with the 120W B3 chips Intel initially made available.

Also, Eurocom offers the 8700GT on this notebook in SLI, a first. Not sure if performance is any better than 7950.

Curiously, they don't have the blu-ray option right now. Seems whoever is manufacturing those slim blu-ray drives is not meeting demand... or sending them all to Dell :fou: 

Now it's time for Sager and all the other "shops" to catch on.
August 11, 2007 6:35:33 PM

Well I'm not surprised Eurocom is the first, they're usually the first to market with such truly niche products. Alot of them pre-announce, but most often Eurocom is the first to ship.

It'll be interesting to see the performance of GF8700GT-SLi, but I'm sure any early review will put it with the Quad-Core and not the old dual cores so it may be a while before we have head to head for older graphics solutions.

However, looks like a nice portable gaming or editing rig.

PS, here's a direct link to their page for the D900C Phantom with QC and SLi;
http://web.eurocom.com/EC/ec_model_config1(1,188,0)

PS, Personally I wouldn't bother with an integrated BLuRay, when for about as much you can have and external drive you can migrate to your next laptop, or use on your desktop, etc.
I was considering adding one to a Fujitsu, but it doesn't make sense even at less than $500.
a b D Laptop
August 11, 2007 11:30:23 PM

Hypersonic Aviator = Clevo D901C = Eurocom D901C = Sager NP something (can't remember) = K|N Odachi = XoticPC = discountlaptops.com = etc. .

No one needs to catch on since they are all the same thing.
August 14, 2007 4:26:38 AM

Wow thats awesome!... but the price...
August 14, 2007 7:53:52 PM

lostandwandering said:
Hypersonic Aviator = Clevo D901C = Eurocom D901C = Sager NP something (can't remember) = K|N Odachi = XoticPC = discountlaptops.com = etc. .

No one needs to catch on since they are all the same thing.

Yeah, but Eurocom is usually the first to release the Chassis with the new hardware. We'll sometimes see pre-release stuff from others, but I usually check Eurocom to see what actually shipping.
a b D Laptop
August 14, 2007 8:41:43 PM

Yeah I know I was just making a point and that was more in response to Luscious than it was to you, so please don't think I got angry at you. I agree that Eurocom does often get the stuff first, I was just saying that Luscious' comment about others needing to catch up was somewhat moot since they are all the same.

It's an ugly looking thing though isn't it?
August 15, 2007 4:33:46 AM

lostandwandering said:
Yeah I know I was just making a point and that was more in response to Luscious than it was to you, so please don't think I got angry at you. I agree that Eurocom does often get the stuff first, I was just saying that Luscious' comment about others needing to catch up was somewhat moot since they are all the same.

They are, pretty much, all the same, yes, I'm just anticipating the other vendors will offer the quad cores as well.
a b D Laptop
August 15, 2007 4:51:35 AM

I think a quad core in a laptop would be an awesome thing. I feel that there are a lot of issues that need to be solved first though. If any vendor can get a quad core laptop to be truly stable, then you have my full interest. From what I have heard, they aren't all that stable and that particular laptop has something like an 80% failure rate. It's rather ridiculous. I really do hope they get it to work. I think the results would be truly impressive.
a b D Laptop
August 15, 2007 4:52:08 AM

Stupid double post. :ange: 
August 15, 2007 8:06:31 PM

lostandwandering said:
I think a quad core in a laptop would be an awesome thing. I feel that there are a lot of issues that need to be solved first though. If any vendor can get a quad core laptop to be truly stable, then you have my full interest. From what I have heard, they aren't all that stable and that particular laptop has something like an 80% failure rate. It's rather ridiculous. I really do hope they get it to work. I think the results would be truly impressive.

Intel did promise a mobile quad-core version of the 45nm Penryn in their roadmap, so until that cute little puppy comes along this is most likely the only quad-core laptop we will see until at least H12008.

I agree precisely that stability is a key factor, not just with the heat issues of the CPU but also, as you mentioned, concerning the failure rate of the system board. Keep in mind though that this design has been on sale since Q1 and we are now approaching Q4 - even with a high initial failure rate, that's plenty of time for the manufacturer to revise and improve on quality. And since no reputable manufacturer would want 80% of their inventory sitting in an RMA pile, I can only assume that the ODM engineers have had enough experience (with previous models) to put together something that you would expect to be impressive and reliable.
a b D Laptop
August 15, 2007 8:52:42 PM

Luscious said:
Intel did promise a mobile quad-core version of the 45nm Penryn in their roadmap, so until that cute little puppy comes along this is most likely the only quad-core laptop we will see until at least H12008... Keep in mind though that this design has been on sale since Q1 and we are now approaching Q4 - even with a high initial failure rate, that's plenty of time for the manufacturer to revise and improve on quality. And since no reputable manufacturer would want 80% of their inventory sitting in an RMA pile, I can only assume that the ODM engineers have had enough experience (with previous models) to put together something that you would expect to be impressive and reliable.

I didn't hear about that release. Should be very interesting. I totally agree, if they don't have it figured out by now, there is something seriously wrong. I have yet to see an actual review of the quad core version, so I'm hoping for one in the near future.

P.S. if you've found a link to a review with the quad, I would be extremely interest and appreciative.
August 15, 2007 11:59:35 PM

200190,46,62492 said:
Intel did promise a mobile quad-core version of the 45nm Penryn in their roadmap, so until that cute little puppy comes along this is most likely the only quad-core laptop we will see until at least H12008.

Yeah, and for me the issue with the Quad Penryn's is the socket/chipset compatability. With the need to have the same voltage, it may be a hot chip at such low process. We'll have to wait and see.

This is the target though that I'm looking at for my next refresh, and hopefully by that time the HP HDX will ship with that, and displayport and a 1920x1200 display (and a free virtual girl :whistle:  ).

I tihnk qud's right now make little sense from a laptop / desktop replacement perspective mainly because the apps just really don't take enough advantage of it compared to ultra fast desktop ram and harddrives. I'll admit I want quad core in my laptop, but it's just currently not worth it versus building a whole new second desktop IMO.
[/quote]
August 16, 2007 2:55:34 AM

Yeah, and for me the issue with the Quad Penryn's is the socket/chipset compatability. With the need to have the same voltage, it may be a hot chip at such low process. We'll have to wait and see.

This is the target though that I'm looking at for my next refresh, and hopefully by that time the HP HDX will ship with that, and displayport and a 1920x1200 display (and a free virtual girl :whistle: ).

I tihnk qud's right now make little sense from a laptop / desktop replacement perspective mainly because the apps just really don't take enough advantage of it compared to ultra fast desktop ram and harddrives. I'll admit I want quad core in my laptop, but it's just currently not worth it versus building a whole new second desktop IMO. said:

This is the target though that I'm looking at for my next refresh, and hopefully by that time the HP HDX will ship with that, and displayport and a 1920x1200 display (and a free virtual girl :whistle:  ).

I tihnk qud's right now make little sense from a laptop / desktop replacement perspective mainly because the apps just really don't take enough advantage of it compared to ultra fast desktop ram and harddrives. I'll admit I want quad core in my laptop, but it's just currently not worth it versus building a whole new second desktop IMO.

From my understanding (unless somebody out there can prove me wrong) the mobile Penryn will have the same package as the current T7x00 mobile Core 2 Duo, so it should be pin-compatible with most Santa Rosa notebooks, save for a BIOS update. Keep in mind, we are talking about the Socket-P notebook platform here, while this current Eurocom unit uses desktop LGA775 CPU's.

I got excited about the HP HDX as well, until I saw the 1680x1050 screen, single 2600XT VGA card and no Blu-Ray drive option. 20 inch notebook screens should be at least 1920x1200 as you suggest, and I am kind of partial to SLI and high-def at the $3000-$4000 price range. In all fairness, I would really like to see vendors offer both HD-DVD and Blu-ray drives and let the consumer choose which format they want to go with, instead of just pushing one or the other (or none) as they reluctantly do now. Granted, the market for this has yet to come.

Agreed, you need to have a fairly select set of objectives if you're looking at quad-core in a laptop, and it is at a hefty price premium. In my case I've got the software for it and the argument to be mobile. If you can see and understand the advantages of a mobile quad-core machine (as I am sure many out there already know) and apply it to what you do, it can make a world of a difference. For me, it would cut down my work time considerably (expense justified) and let me have more fun! :sol: 
August 16, 2007 5:20:21 PM

Luscious said:
From my understanding (unless somebody out there can prove me wrong) the mobile Penryn will have the same package as the current T7x00 mobile Core 2 Duo, so it should be pin-compatible with most Santa Rosa notebooks, save for a BIOS update. Keep in mind, we are talking about the Socket-P notebook platform here, while this current Eurocom unit uses desktop LGA775 CPU's.

Yes I know, when I mention the heat, I'm talking about what they could be if the Penryn's weren't trying to be pin/voltage compatible. If they lowered the voltage the new process would be more efficient and generate less heat/noise. It should be cooler running than the Eurocom, but the voltage issue is why I'm curious to see what AMD offers at that time (maybe nothing quad though).

Quote:
and I am kind of partial to SLI and high-def at the $3000-$4000 price range. In all fairness, I would really like to see vendors offer both HD-DVD and Blu-ray drives and let the consumer choose which format they want to go with, instead of just pushing one or the other (or none) as they reluctantly do now. Granted, the market for this has yet to come.

I'm not a fan of SLi in laptops (although GOD we know that one has the room for it) but it's because gaming is second for me. I kinda agree with the HD/BR comment, but my decision when buying this round was all external. I've done that in the past with my external LG DVD burners which are still faster than most laptop models and They're 3+ years old (the old style with FireWire + USB2.0). So this time around I'm using my Xbox360 HD-DVD player, and likely an external LaCie BR drive or something similar. I need the HD2600 to help with the acceleration, but for most road-warrior stuff I'll be fine with either DVD quality or ripping the HD content to my HDD (plan on adding the Hitachi 7K200 to whatever I get). So HD playback and 2D quality are paramount for me, but I would like to play Oblivion, and UT2K7/UT3 and Crysis even if the last two are only in the DX9 path and medium settings.

Quote:
Agreed, you need to have a fairly select set of objectives if you're looking at quad-core in a laptop, and it is at a hefty price premium. In my case I've got the software for it and the argument to be mobile. If you can see and understand the advantages of a mobile quad-core machine (as I am sure many out there already know) and apply it to what you do, it can make a world of a difference. For me, it would cut down my work time considerably (expense justified) and let me have more fun! :sol: 

Yeah, and for me I'd appreciate it (heck I built a separate dual MP editing rig for that purpose), but I find I trade off too much for deaktop replacements, and I guess I never got spoiled and I'm ok as an pro-sumer and not professional in long render times while I go off and do other things.

I'd love to go with a quad laptop, I just can't justify most of the potential options out there. The HDX was likely the only one that would have changed that, and hopefully by this time next year it will have DisplayPort, QuadCore and an MHD2700+/GF8750M+ (maybe R7xx/G9x based solution) with the proper resolution a 20" deserves. By then I get the feeling it might be the last laptop I ever buy.... but I know better than that. But it might last me a good solid 2 years without remorse or second guessing if it were configured like that. Also it's easier to justify $4-5K for something like that, than the $3K for what they're currently offering.
!