Help! Should I learn Java, C++, or HTML this summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttg_Avenged

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2012
Hi! I'm a 14 year old, eager boy interested in coding... I'm not too sure where to start off, I've learned very, very basic HTML and that was easy pezy.

I could either play Minecraft all summer, or learn valuable information and knowledge to prosper my future... FUTURE!

I would just like a tip what would be the most impressive to get into a college or jobs based on computing, and/or the coding that isn't going to disappear tomorrow. (Will be built on for a decent amount of time.)

I was thinking of Java since it seemed easy and could produce games (such as HUGE sales from Minecraft, and large amounts of revenue from RuneScape, and... etc.)

I am either going to try to be a game developer (BIG $$$), software engineer (still really good $$$) or a hardware engineer (most favorable, yet low $$$ probably.)

Sorry for the weird, abnormal question :/

P.S. Sorry if this is in the wrong section, this seemed the most right.

C++ is not for beginners. HTML is for those who can't learn how to program

Java is a very good place to start. It's very similar to C++ except that the language makes it much harder to shoot your foot off.

Even with that said, Java is extremely robust and despite its inherent security it's still a daunting place to start if you haven't dabbled in programming at all yet.

There are a couple of programming languages which are designed just for teaching. I learned on the Turing language which is freely available and is actually used to teach many high-school programming classes (at least in Ontario where I live). There are a lot of very good tutorials and believe it or not the fundamentals of programming haven't changed in over 50 years.

If you learn Turing it's only a few steps to learn Java, C and C++

http://compsci.ca/holtsoft/

Download Turing 4.1.1

Ugh. As nice as python is, I wish they wouldn't teach it as an introductory language like my university insists on doing. It's great for teaching logical sequences but it's also great at breeding lazy and careless programmers who rely on exceptions for everything and have no concept of typing. Many of the concepts in Python simply don't fly in other languages for very good reasons and I much prefer that students learn the fundamentals and worry about rapid application development later.

Status
Not open for further replies.