Creative Alternatives Rated in PC Gamer

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
In the new PC Gamer they did a review of 5 non-Creative sound cards, but they didn't list the prices for all but one of the cards, so I googled them all to see how they stack up:

M-Audio Revolution 7.1______________________80%_______$99.00
Hercules Digifire 7.1 (firewire)_________________84%_______$79.99
Hercules GameSurround Fortissimo III 7.1_______90%_______$49.99
Audiotrack Prodigy 7.1_______________________92%_______$99.00

For comparison, at Newegg the Audigy 2 is $78 for the OEM box and $112 for the retail package.

The Hercules Fortissimo is clearly the best deal for people looking for a good alternative to the Audigy 2. This is for people who just want a quality, relatively inexpensive sound card for games and music (people who want digital editing or recording or whatever should read some threadz :tongue: ).

-peace :cool:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
My Aureal SQ2500 cost me $20 2 years ago and is probably the best $20 I ever spent on hardware.

Someone just released a crack to enable the hardware features missing in the XP driver, so now I'm happy again.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
Someone just released a crack to enable the hardware features missing in the XP driver, so now I'm happy again. [/qoute]

Didn't know that. Do they work well in 2k as well? I still have mine in one of my linux boxes. Maybe it's time to move it back into my windows machine?

Are they at Vortex of Sound?

Dev

Dev

---
My Sig:
))
(( ___________________
|||_____________|_____|

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You'll find information in the VortexOfSound forums, but you'll have to look on the second page I think.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>