laptops are just junk

Status
Not open for further replies.

scm37

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
Is it just me or are laptops just piles of garbage pawned off as hightech electronics that these big companies are making tons of money on???

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
They're just junk...
Battlefield 2142 is graphically very intensive and requires a good video card and sub system to play at medium to high settings without overheating the system or causing stutter and unplayable framerates and that would be the requirements for a desktop system to play the game. Notebooks are generally less powerful than their larger sibling the desktop and as such do not usually play graphically intensive games as well. The Executioner breaks the trend and delivered amazing results.

Gameplay in Battlefield 2142 was ultra smooth as even with the highest settings and running a resolution of 1600x1200 with 4x Antialiasing in the game menu (max) while having the Nvidia 7950 GTX using 8xS Antialiasing and 16x Anisotropic Filtering the Executioner provided 33-35 frames per second on average. This is amazing as we had everything maxed out graphic wise.

scm37

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
I'd hardly rate a line and a half of question as a tirade. I don't have a bad personal experience with a laptop. I spend a lot of time repairing them, though, and I read tons of posts on many different forums. There seems to me to be good reason for my question. And what's with the mumbo jumbo from killernotebooks??? It was my impression that constructive discussion of tech problems is what occurs in these forums!!!!

LOL, sorry man. I'm just not used to seeing posts like that. I am curious as to what notebooks you have seen problems with. I own two Dells and have no complaints about either in terms of performance, durability and build quality. Most HP's seem decent to me, too. What K|N was saying, is that his notebooks don't fall under the "crap" label and he would be correct. The Clevo (?) chassis he uses are rock solid and his notebooks provide top performance. His single GPU Executioner beat out an SLi Alienware (which are crap quality IMO). So I guess it all depends on the brand you are calling crap.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
And what's with the mumbo jumbo from killernotebooks??? It was my impression that constructive discussion of tech problems is what occurs in these forums!!!!
That "mumbo jumbo" was an answer to your question by way of an excerpt from a review of a notebook. Although convoluted, I read the question, or "constructive discussion of tech problems" as....

Is it just me or are laptops just piles of garbage pawned off as hightech electronics that these big companies are making tons of money on???
I can't speak for the "big companies" on this one, but I CAN speak for myself. I had several notebooks in the past I was less than happy with. I spent a considerable amount of change on these systems.

I was as frustrated, as this poster, so I did something about it, I provided an option. My post was meant to show not all companies think the way you're portraying; it may seem like it, as this industry is full of wannabes, and saturated with claims punctuated with advertising dollars, but if I were just come out and say that myself (my words like now) in response, it would have seemed disingenuous and come across as self-righteous hype.

This is what I saw in the industry, that caused me to build systems that the review I quoted tested:
:arrow: I was sick of "the customer always being wrong" mentality that is rampant in America today. (I just ran into it again today.)
:arrow: I was tired of paying for things that were sub-par,
:arrow: Products that big companies didn't stand behind because they were so big it didn't matter anymore.
:arrow: I was tired of the hype and marketing overtaking the real performance of what I was buying.
:arrow: I was tired of cookie cutter crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.