What are you listening to these days?

Last response: in Home Audio
August 10, 2005 2:50:27 AM

Just curious what the pro audio community is listening to these days
(professionally or for pleasure) that bends your ear.

I've been transferring a lot of Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab records for a
client and today I transferred Gordon Lightfoot's Sundown (MFSL-1-018)

I hadn't hear Gordon Lightfoot for a while and what a tremendous
Balladeer he is! What a voice. Very nice productions too. Acoustic
guitars sound great, though some of the String section parts are a
little 70s syrupy.

Really enjoyed hearing him again. And hearing him on high quality vinyl
is the right way to hear the music, though I am biased...... MFSL
records really sound great and pretty cheap on Ebay...... here's their
catalog......http://www.aurealm.com/blue.htm

VB

BTW..... A short while ago I transferred the entire MFSL Beatles
Collection. Almost a religious experience! Stunning clarity and
'presense'. You hear things that you've never heard before.

More about : listening days

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 3:36:29 AM

haha....... Well when I get sick of music I do like listening to The Ed
Shultz Show ..... and Fresh Air with Terry Gross.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 7:15:31 AM

What am I listening to nowadays?

Mostly my boss at work, and my girlfiend at home.
August 10, 2005 10:23:03 AM

Air America.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 10:31:58 AM

"Vinyl_Believer" <vinylbeliever@hotmail.com> wrote in
message

> Just curious what the pro audio community is listening to
> these days (professionally or for pleasure) that bends
> your ear.

The live recordings I make.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 12:35:23 PM

Just finished mixing a live Doc Watson concert. Now I'm working on one
by Sam Bush.

For pure pleasure, though, the new Nickel Creek CD hasn't left my player
in nearly two months. It's very, very good.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 12:57:41 PM

The new Ry Cooder album is quite nice, as aree slack key and Hawaiian
vocals of Martin Pahinui's "Ho'olohe".
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 2:05:24 PM

In article <1123689461.367138.241510@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"Haolemon" <gary_flanigan@ce9.uscourts.gov> wrote:

> The new Ry Cooder album is quite nice, as aree slack key and Hawaiian
> vocals of Martin Pahinui's "Ho'olohe".

If you mean the Chavez Ravine album, I have to disagree. I was pretty
disappointed. I really love his album with Manuel Galban, however, and that's
been on my playlist since it came out.

-Jay
August 10, 2005 3:40:21 PM

Jo Jo's Circus, The Wiggles, and Higley Town Heroes....Uh... because I have
a new baby in the house.

I also am listening to a comp CD I made for my daughter that has The Pink
Panther, Moon River and other Henry Mancini tunes, along with some Ed Guinn
tunes from Mary Poppins.

Vinyl_Believer wrote:

> Just curious what the pro audio community is listening to these days
> (professionally or for pleasure) that bends your ear.
>
> I've been transferring a lot of Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab records for a
> client and today I transferred Gordon Lightfoot's Sundown (MFSL-1-018)
>
> I hadn't hear Gordon Lightfoot for a while and what a tremendous
> Balladeer he is! What a voice. Very nice productions too. Acoustic
> guitars sound great, though some of the String section parts are a
> little 70s syrupy.
>
> Really enjoyed hearing him again. And hearing him on high quality vinyl
> is the right way to hear the music, though I am biased...... MFSL
> records really sound great and pretty cheap on Ebay...... here's their
> catalog......http://www.aurealm.com/blue.htm
>
> VB
>
> BTW..... A short while ago I transferred the entire MFSL Beatles
> Collection. Almost a religious experience! Stunning clarity and
> 'presense'. You hear things that you've never heard before.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 3:40:22 PM

Bill Evans "live at town hall", Michel Camilo(self titled), Warner
Jams(should be "gems") w/Larry Goldings, Josh Redman...

Rick Hollett
"Papanate" <NoneFromYou@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Jo Jo's Circus, The Wiggles, and Higley Town Heroes....Uh... because I
have
> a new baby in the house.
>
> I also am listening to a comp CD I made for my daughter that has The Pink
> Panther, Moon River and other Henry Mancini tunes, along with some Ed
Guinn
> tunes from Mary Poppins.
>
> Vinyl_Believer wrote:
>
> > Just curious what the pro audio community is listening to these days
> > (professionally or for pleasure) that bends your ear.
> >
> > I've been transferring a lot of Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab records for a
> > client and today I transferred Gordon Lightfoot's Sundown (MFSL-1-018)
> >
> > I hadn't hear Gordon Lightfoot for a while and what a tremendous
> > Balladeer he is! What a voice. Very nice productions too. Acoustic
> > guitars sound great, though some of the String section parts are a
> > little 70s syrupy.
> >
> > Really enjoyed hearing him again. And hearing him on high quality vinyl
> > is the right way to hear the music, though I am biased...... MFSL
> > records really sound great and pretty cheap on Ebay...... here's their
> > catalog......http://www.aurealm.com/blue.htm
> >
> > VB
> >
> > BTW..... A short while ago I transferred the entire MFSL Beatles
> > Collection. Almost a religious experience! Stunning clarity and
> > 'presense'. You hear things that you've never heard before.

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 3:57:33 PM

"Vinyl_Believer" <vinylbeliever@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Just curious what the pro audio community is listening to these days
> (professionally or for pleasure) that bends your ear.

Brazil Blue compilation CD (EMI's Hemisphere label). Elementary stuff.

Arabic Groove compilation CD (Putumayo World Music). Contemporary music from
North Africa and the Middle East.

Bijelo Dugme: Best Of 1984-1989. The greatest band ever in this part of the
world (ex-Yugoslavia). Rock with heavy ethnic music influences. That's what
Goran Bregovic did before the war destroyed his domestic market and forced
him to recycle and repackage it and sell it globally, with big success.

Predrag
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 4:09:09 PM

Arny Krueger wrote:

> The live recordings I make.

Just curious Arny. What's your live recording setup?

And what are you listening to casually (other than the grandkids :)

VB
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 6:09:36 PM

On 9 Aug 2005 22:50:27 -0700, "Vinyl_Believer"
<vinylbeliever@hotmail.com> wrote:

-------------8<-----------------

--Just finishing a CD transfer of "The First Yugoslav Jazz Festival
Bled 1960 -- Documentary Recordings" from an old Jugoton LP record, Mx
LPY-V-77. Excellent jazz for real, many names, some still active today
(Bosko Petrovic, vib), Silvije Glojnaric, perc. ----> now active as a
Jazz editor at HTV Zagreb Broadcast, Mojmir Sepe Ensamble, Joze
Privsek, Ljubljana, Ozren Depolo, Zagreb, P. Ivanovic, D. Davidovic,
M. Radosavljevic, P. Stjepanovic, M. Stojanovic, Belgrade -- to name
only a few; they were "Who's Who" in Jazz of that times in this area.

The LP is an "average to good" condition, 3 skips and a zillion of
crackles but the results are promising.

Edi Zubovic, Crikvenica, Croatia
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 6:27:11 PM

Sam Cooke, Notorious BIG, Frank Sinatra, White Strips, Sufjen Stevens,
Modest Mouse, Nas, Talib Kwali, Mos Def, John and Alice Coltrane, Hank
Williams, Leon Redbone, Postal Service, The Stars, Deftones...of course
the Beatles, Beach Boys

Jonny Durango
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 7:43:33 PM

> Arny Krueger wrote:

>> The live recordings I make.

> Just curious Arny. What's your live recording setup?

The big 'un is a bunch (ca 30) of Audix, Behringer, CAD,
Kel, MXL and Shure mics running into an 02R96, out the
inserts to a bunch of M-Audio Delta 1010s, and on into
Audition running on a 2GHz Athlon XP system. Backup is a HHB
CD recorder running off the main outputs of the console.

Other more portable live recording setups include more mics
like the ones above, running into a Symmetrix SX202 preamp
and then into either a PC like the one above running a
LynxTWO, Card Deluxe, M-Audio AP2496 interface, or a Nomad
Jukebox 3.

> And what are you listening to casually (other than the
> grandkids :)

Mostly church services and school functions.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 10:20:58 PM

In the player right now: 'The Best of Aly Bain & Phil Cunningham', which I'm
previewing for air. Last up: Sam Hinton's double CD of unbelievable
non-crossed harmonica playing. Otherwise, a lot of remastered 78s.

Oh, and I just put Norman Blake's first Rounder recording in the bag for the
upcoming road trip.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 10:20:59 PM

Paul Stamler wrote:
> In the player right now: 'The Best of Aly Bain & Phil Cunningham', which I'm
> previewing for air.

Compass is putting out an incredible library of music - from both sides
of the Atlantic.

> Oh, and I just put Norman Blake's first Rounder recording in the bag for the
> upcoming road trip.

I love those early (well, relatively early) Norman Blake recordings.

Thinking about early Norman Blake makes me also think of John Hartford....

Have you heard Jamie Hartford's new CD? I realize that he's going out of
his way to basically replicate his father's arrangements, but it's
amazing how much he sounds like his dad.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 1:02:10 AM

Vinyl_Believer wrote:
> Just curious what the pro audio community is listening to these days
> (professionally or for pleasure) that bends your ear.
>
> I've been transferring a lot of Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab records for a
> client and today I transferred Gordon Lightfoot's Sundown (MFSL-1-018)

I just transfered a couple of unusual records to CD and digital format.
They were Ron McCroby "The Other Whistler" and Frank Marocco (jazz
accordian)

I'd forgotten how rich the mids were on vinyl. The richness diminished
after I converted them into wav files.

Stan
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 2:19:55 AM

"Vinyl_Believer" <vinylbeliever@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Just curious what the pro audio community is listening to these days
> (professionally or for pleasure) that bends your ear.

The stack next to this computer:

Let's Active - 'Cypress/Afoot'
Robyn Hitchcock - 'Eye'
The New Folk Implosion
Mos Def - 'The New Danger' (not bad like people say)
A compilation of Liturgical music from the 19th century
Lush - 'Lovelife'
Jethro Tull - 'Stormwatch'
And some Swervedriver, great band.

jb
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 3:20:18 AM

skingfong@yahoo.com wrote:

> I just transfered a couple of unusual records to CD and digital format.
> They were Ron McCroby "The Other Whistler" and Frank Marocco (jazz
> accordian)
>
> I'd forgotten how rich the mids were on vinyl. The richness diminished
> after I converted them into wav files.
>
> Stan

I've been complaining about that for sometime here. Transfers to 16/44
really take a beating, especially in the mids and a real noiceable loss
of dimension.

But 24/96 is much better if you have the playback. I've been
transfering some record collections for a few 'audiophile' clients who
want the richness of vinyl but the convenience of digital.

I've talked them into purchasing Masterlinks so they can have 24/96
playback. You can get a lot of stuff on there with a 40gig drive, even
at 24/96...... And at the price point they are a pretty good home
stereo item. And they still play regular CDs.

VB
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 3:27:17 AM

Pretty ambitious setup Arny. Hope you have the opportunity to leave it
set up week to week........ My problem with live muti-track recording
is all the time it takes to Mix. And it's often hard to be compensated
fairly for all that time.

A pair of Schoeps and a nice pre is a pretty good alternative..... :)

VB
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 3:58:20 AM

On 9 Aug 2005 22:50:27 -0700, "Vinyl_Believer"
<vinylbeliever@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Just curious what the pro audio community is listening to these days
>(professionally or for pleasure) that bends your ear.

Sweaty Culdesacs w/ Oysters in a Slot Machine. Friends
in PDX we recorded last year. Pretty raw technically.

In vinyl, my friends gave me the posthumous Elliott
Smith in a two disc release that I'm saving for early
this evening. Already wore out the CD, natch.

Chris Hornbeck
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 4:02:13 AM

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:45:45 -0400, Jim Gilliland
<usemylastname@cheerful.com> wrote:

>Thinking about early Norman Blake makes me also think of John Hartford....

"Don't leave your records in the sun".
-JH

Chris Hornbeck
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 5:41:51 AM

On 9 Aug 2005 23:36:29 -0700, "Vinyl_Believer"
<vinylbeliever@hotmail.com> wrote:

>haha....... Well when I get sick of music I do like listening to The Ed
>Shultz Show ..... and Fresh Air with Terry Gross.

Did you hear Paul Anka on Fresh Air yesterday and today? I'm gonna
have to get that "Rock Swings" CD. Really!

-----
http://www.mindspring.com/~benbradley
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 6:36:40 AM

> I'd forgotten how rich the mids were on vinyl.

You mean "the lack of highs and lows".

>The richness diminished
> after I converted them into wav files.

Is your soundcard a SoundBlaster, or broken ?

geoff >>>

No he means what he said. Good Vinyl has MUCH better midrange than CDs
and MUCH more natural highs. Lows are pretty damn nice too on MFSL
vinyl. (have you ever actually heard a M-O-B-I-L-E F-I-D-E-L-I-T-Y
S-O-U-N-D L-A-B record Geoff?)

I've transferred (thorens, benchmark) and listened to a lot of Vinyl
lately and compared it to 16/44 - 24/96 and Commercial release CDs and
his observations are correct.

Try actually listening and comparing Geoff and get back to us with
something more than your biased opinion. Ignorance isn't bliss.

VB
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 7:04:38 AM

<<< Hint : a CD will be pretty much a 'copy' of the master tape.

HINT ..... NOT!

I've transferred and compared material MANY times lately on fine
equipment and you can easily hear the difference when going to 16/44
audio. I've stated my conclusions and observations here on more than
one occasion.

These 'opinions' are tireing....... Are you telling me Pooh Bear that
you have transferred hi end audio (ie 24/96 etc....) or vinyl to 16/44
and you can't hear any difference? Have you actually done this and
come to that conclusion or is this just a popular theory that you are
mimicking? ....... If so could you please elaborate on your findings.

VB
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 10:59:08 AM

"Jim Gilliland" <usemylastname@cheerful.com> wrote in message

> I love those early (well, relatively early) Norman Blake recordings.

I'm waiting for a *good* remastering of "Directions", which was his only
studio album for Takoma. They did a dreadful butcher job when they combined
it with "Live at McCabe's" as a twofer.

> Thinking about early Norman Blake makes me also think of John Hartford....
>
> Have you heard Jamie Hartford's new CD? I realize that he's going out of
> his way to basically replicate his father's arrangements, but it's
> amazing how much he sounds like his dad.

Haven't heard it yet, but the Post-Dispatch just gave it a rave. The disc'll
probably be at the station by the next time I get there, but may take a
while to get onto the shelves.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:21:03 AM

Pooh Bear wrote:

> > <<< Hint : a CD will be pretty much a 'copy' of the master tape.
> >
> You dislike the truth ?

You make a statement like that, with no research or professional
observations and call it 'the truth'? ..... Please.

I ask you a second time.... "could you please elaborate on your
findings."..... such as your term ... "pretty much a 'copy' ?? .... are
you 'sure', or pretty much sure :)

> Dragging a piece or rock round a groove made in a piece of vinyl once made
> by another rock hardly counts as the pinnacle of recording / playback
> technology !
>
> Graham

I dunno, dragging your fingernails across a chalkboard makes a pretty
realistic sound.

I'm not against digital recording by any means. I can just hear that
16/44 lacks adaquete resolution. Vinyl does have very good resoulution
though it is lacking in freq. response and dynamic range. But the MFSL
records sound excellent. Give them a listen sometime.

VB
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:33:24 AM

> Pretty ambitious setup Arny.

Thanks - took me about three years and a lot of grief to
assemble.

> Hope you have the
> opportunity to leave it set up week to week........

It's all permanent.

> My problem with live muti-track recording is all the time
> it
> takes to Mix.

That very much depends on how hard I want to work to erase
the musician's mistakes.

> And it's often hard to be compensated fairly for all that
> time.

Indeed.

> A pair of Schoeps and a nice pre is a pretty good
> alternative..... :)

Under ideal conditions - which are all to rare in live
performances.

Now that I have the audio gear mostly in place, and the the
new music director, the next battles are room lighting and
acoustics.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:46:10 AM

I've also stated many times that I'm using Benchmark converters. Like
many here, you're not actually listening.

So you're telling me Scott that you actually have transferred from
hi-end source or vinyl to 16/44 and can't hear any difference?

Not, "you can" tell the difference, but "you have" heard the
difference? ...... Please elaborate because I "have" lately and "I can"
hear a significant difference.

VB
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:49:32 AM

Thats true. Thanks.

The nice thing about the Masterlink, as a home player, is that it gives
you the ability to make playlists of your favorite cuts. A very handy
hi-end tool/toy and not that expensive......Of cousre a laptop (or
desktop) could do the same thing, but the standalone unit is nice on
the shelf.

VB
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 12:16:51 PM

I think that downsampling would take something away from it
Arny.......... We'll meet someday in one of those conference rooms
accross a long table and have a 'shootout'....... (You can tell me
later how great my hair looked....hehe....)

But for now, I'm going to try and bow out of this debate. It seems to
be Deja Vu all over again.

VB
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 12:21:36 PM

"Vinyl_Believer" <vinylbeliever@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Just curious what the pro audio community is listening to these days
> (professionally or for pleasure) that bends your ear.

CDs and the ocasional DVD.

geoff
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 12:22:53 PM

My recent 'discoveries' are The Cruel Sea and James Blunt.

Plus all the normal old boring stuff.

geoff
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 12:24:52 PM

"Papanate" <NoneFromYou@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Jo Jo's Circus, The Wiggles, and Higley Town Heroes....Uh... because I
> have
> a new baby in the house.

Come on, admit it. The baby couldn't give a stuff what music you put on.
It's YOU who loves that stuff ;-)

geoff
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 12:25:38 PM

> Just finished mixing a live Doc Watson concert. Now I'm working on one by
> Sam Bush.
>
> For pure pleasure, though, the new Nickel Creek CD hasn't left my player
> in nearly two months. It's very, very good.

Hayseed Dixie, anybody ?

geoff
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 2:34:41 PM

Vinyl_Believer <vinylbeliever@hotmail.com> wrote:
><<< Hint : a CD will be pretty much a 'copy' of the master tape.
>HINT ..... NOT!
>
>I've transferred and compared material MANY times lately on fine
>equipment and you can easily hear the difference when going to 16/44
>audio. I've stated my conclusions and observations here on more than
>one occasion.

Right, and we suggested you might consider better converters.

>These 'opinions' are tireing....... Are you telling me Pooh Bear that
>you have transferred hi end audio (ie 24/96 etc....) or vinyl to 16/44
>and you can't hear any difference? Have you actually done this and
>come to that conclusion or is this just a popular theory that you are
>mimicking? ....... If so could you please elaborate on your findings.

I can do this so that you really won't be able to tell the differences.
That's the difference between the Prism converters and the cheese-whiz
converters in typical consumer CD players.
--scott

August 11, 2005 2:48:22 PM

Vinyl_Believer wrote:

> > I'd forgotten how rich the mids were on vinyl.
>
> You mean "the lack of highs and lows".
>
> >The richness diminished
> > after I converted them into wav files.
>
> Is your soundcard a SoundBlaster, or broken ?
>
> geoff >>>
>
> No he means what he said. Good Vinyl has MUCH better midrange than CDs
> and MUCH more natural highs. Lows are pretty damn nice too on MFSL
> vinyl. (have you ever actually heard a M-O-B-I-L-E F-I-D-E-L-I-T-Y
> S-O-U-N-D L-A-B record Geoff?)
>
> I've transferred (thorens, benchmark) and listened to a lot of Vinyl
> lately and compared it to 16/44 - 24/96 and Commercial release CDs and
> his observations are correct.
>
> Try actually listening and comparing Geoff and get back to us with
> something more than your biased opinion. Ignorance isn't bliss.

Are you suggesting that the vinyl sounds better than the master tape ?

Hint : a CD will be pretty much a 'copy' of the master tape. If a CD
sounds different to vinyl, then, mastering house tweaking aside, the
diiference must be due to characteristics of the vinyl changing the sound.
This is commonly called distortion.

Graham
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 2:57:11 PM

Vinyl_Believer wrote:
> <<< Hint : a CD will be pretty much a 'copy' of the master tape.
>

> HINT ..... NOT!
>
> I've transferred and compared material MANY times lately on fine
> equipment and you can easily hear the difference when going to 16/44
> audio. I've stated my conclusions and observations here on more than
> one occasion.

Which, given your expectations, are not particularly
relevant. Try doing the testing double blind and level matched.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 2:57:46 PM

Vinyl_Believer <vinylbeliever@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I've also stated many times that I'm using Benchmark converters. Like
>many here, you're not actually listening.

Right, and they are pretty good bargain converters, but they are by
no means the best possible.

>So you're telling me Scott that you actually have transferred from
>hi-end source or vinyl to 16/44 and can't hear any difference?

I can patch from converter bypass to loop-through and not hear any
difference. It took many years to get the converter rack up to
that point, and it took _very_ careful level calibration too. I was
actually shocked at how accurate the levels needed to be.

Monitor system is a pair of Magnepan MG-1.4s through a Citation II.
Passive (stepped) attenuator gain control between the patchbay and
the amp. Some sort of early Alpha-Core speaker cables too, if that
is important to you.

>Not, "you can" tell the difference, but "you have" heard the
>difference? ...... Please elaborate because I "have" lately and "I can"
>hear a significant difference.

I've heard a lot of significant differences, so I did my best to
eliminate them. That's my job, you know.
--scott

August 11, 2005 2:59:41 PM

> These 'opinions' are tireing....... Are you telling me
> Pooh Bear that you have transferred hi end audio (ie
> 24/96 etc....) or vinyl to 16/44 and you can't hear any
> difference?

Been there, done that. Please listen at

http://www.pcabx.com/technical/sample_rates/index.htm

If you've got some really tasty 24/96 files that you think
would support your point of view, I'd be glad to downsample
them so that people could judge with their own ears.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 4:14:32 PM

<< "Which, given your expectations, are not particularly
relevant. Try doing the testing double blind and level matched. " >>

Bob >>>

As a long time industry pro audio engineer my expcetations are
quality.... And yes I can and and have heard the difference in hi-end
source and 16/44 copy, double blind and level matched. 24/96 is harder
to pick out but their are also clear differences in reproduction of mid
and high freqs. and imaging and dimension.

Have you done your own testing Bob? Get back to me with your
observations....... If you can't hear the difference in resolution then
so be it. Some engineers can't. I certainly can.

Oh and Stamler says he can too and since he loves me to quote
him....... " 24-bit digital, to my ears, is better sounding. I don't
give a damn what the numbers say, I hear the difference. ..........I
also hear a difference between 44.1 and 88.2 or 96kHz......... "

VB
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 4:27:52 PM

Well actually Paul you said almost exactly that in a past post.........

" I certainly heard things sound a lot better when I tried out a
Benchmark D-to-A, but one of the things I heard with that machine's
better resolution was that things still sounded poorer when they got
reduced to 16 bits. "

Is there some kind of memory loss going on among engineers here?
......Geez.

I actually started this thread Paul, (though I doubt you noticed or
remember that) and was simply addressing Geoff Wood who was criticising
someone for actually enjoying something he heard on Vinyl.

Peace Paul ....... Any commment on what you're listening to?

VB
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 4:42:23 PM

No I started this thread to find out what others are listening to and
have been enjoying the results........ I said nothing about vinyl
vs.digital etc..... and only spoke out when Geoff Wood criticised
someone for enjoying a record he heard.

I don't think you're 'relatively certain' of my intentions at all
David.

btw, what are you listening too? Anything other than Air America.......
I'm transferring (from vinyl of course) ...... Rachmaninoff: Symphony
No. 2 - Temirkanov, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - MFSL 1-521 ........
Wonderful sound!

VB
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 5:04:43 PM

"nmm" <voxman@arvotek.net> wrote in message

> reddred wrote:

> > Let's Active - 'Cypress/Afoot'
>
> Is that on the album that came out in the 80s? I had "every word means
> no" in my itunes folder for the last few months. Great band Mitch
> Easter.

Yeah, 'Cypress/Afoot' is the 'Cypress' LP combined with the 'Afoot' EP,
which that song comes from. Cypress is one of those 'desert island discs'
for me.

> Swell Maps,

Havent heard that in awhile! Are those records in print?

jb
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 5:58:03 PM

You're not listening to what the poster said Geoff.... Geez what is
this, audio ignorance week?

He stated that he enjoyed the rich midrange of vinyl (which you
insulted him for) but this midrange was lost in his transfer to 16/44
wav. files.

Loss of midrange and imaging/dimension is a common problem when
transferring to 16/44 digital. Better converters don't solve the
problem either. You can read my findings on this, along with Paul
Stamler's comments from a past thread.

And was it really necessary to insult the poster again by saying he
must have a 'soundblaster' card ...... Do some research of your own and
challenge his or my findings if you like....... Otherwise STFU and
don't poison this thread with your smart ass comments.

VB
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 6:04:44 PM

Vinyl_Believer wrote:

> <<< Hint : a CD will be pretty much a 'copy' of the master tape.
>
> HINT ..... NOT!
>
> I've transferred and compared material MANY times lately on fine
> equipment and you can easily hear the difference when going to 16/44
> audio. I've stated my conclusions and observations here on more than
> one occasion.
>
> These 'opinions' are tireing.......

You dislike the truth ?

> Are you telling me Pooh Bear that
> you have transferred hi end audio (ie 24/96 etc....) or vinyl to 16/44
> and you can't hear any difference? Have you actually done this and
> come to that conclusion or is this just a popular theory that you are
> mimicking? ....... If so could you please elaborate on your findings.

Dragging a piece or rock round a groove made in a piece of vinyl once made
by another rock hardly counts as the pinnacle of recording / playback
technology !

Graham
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 6:38:45 PM

Nice! ...... Put some of it up for the group to hear if you can. Love
hearinig those young players...... Is that a muti-track or 2-track
remote job?

Speaking of Booker T. (Jones that is) ........ I've been listening to
Willie Nelson's Stardust lately (vinyl of course) which he produced.
That is one of the best albums of all time, and Booker T. play
wonderfully subtle Organ on it.

Hey we're back on topic!

VB
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 7:34:32 PM

On 10 Aug 2005 23:20:18 -0700, Vinyl_Believer <vinylbeliever@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> But 24/96 is much better if you have the playback. I've been
> transfering some record collections for a few 'audiophile' clients who
> want the richness of vinyl but the convenience of digital.
>
> I've talked them into purchasing Masterlinks so they can have 24/96
> playback. You can get a lot of stuff on there with a 40gig drive, even
> at 24/96...... And at the price point they are a pretty good home
> stereo item. And they still play regular CDs.

Anyone with a decent DVD player has the means to play 24/96 stereo
recordings - no need for a Masterlink.

Cheers.

James.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 7:51:29 PM

Vinyl_Believer <vinylbeliever@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I think that downsampling would take something away from it
>Arny.......... We'll meet someday in one of those conference rooms
>accross a long table and have a 'shootout'....... (You can tell me
>later how great my hair looked....hehe....)

Well, that's the question. DOES downsampling do anything significant?
My experience has been that it does not, but I'm not totally decided yet.
--scott