Mic choice, which ones?

Last response: in Home Audio
August 10, 2005 6:33:57 PM

I'm looking for some condenser mics (SD and LD) to bring along when I make
multitrack live recordings. I already have all the dynamics I need.
I don't want (and can't) spend too much... The mics should be "resistant"
enough for a live gig (no external powert supply or strange mic clips) and
not too "expensive" for a live gig (would you use your vintage neumann U87
for a guitar amp in a live gig?)...
No AKG C1000 or similars.... I need better sound then that.
I think that 451s and 414 can be the choice but I want to know what do YOU
think about it.
Are there any interesting mics you can suggest me? Rode? Oktava? Others?
What I can spend is 450$ for a pair of SD condensers (451 on eBay are about
200-250$ each) and 800$ for a pair of LD.

Thanks for the help.
F.

More about : mic choice

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 6:33:58 PM

The Crown CM-700 is a really good mic. I'm not sure what the MSRP is
($250 maybe?) but they turn up used on eBay for around $125. Given your
budget I would also look into what Jim Williams at Audio Upgrades can
do. I think he has modifications for several of the inexpensive
condensors now on the market.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 6:33:58 PM

Federico wrote:
> I'm looking for some condenser mics (SD and LD) to bring along when I make
> multitrack live recordings. I already have all the dynamics I need.
> I don't want (and can't) spend too much... The mics should be "resistant"
> enough for a live gig (no external powert supply or strange mic clips) and
> not too "expensive" for a live gig (would you use your vintage neumann U87
> for a guitar amp in a live gig?)...
> No AKG C1000 or similars.... I need better sound then that.
> I think that 451s and 414 can be the choice but I want to know what do YOU
> think about it.
> Are there any interesting mics you can suggest me? Rode? Oktava? Others?
> What I can spend is 450$ for a pair of SD condensers (451 on eBay are about
> 200-250$ each) and 800$ for a pair of LD.
>
> Thanks for the help.
> F.

Get a Denecke PS2 and use some decent SDC's running on phantom. I think
MK012's would be a good choice....cheap, compact and sound great....i
dunno how rugged they are....anyway, good luck!

Jonny Durango
August 10, 2005 7:41:17 PM

In article <pfoKe.62287$fm.4106676@news4.tin.it>,
Federico <plokmichael@tiscali.it> wrote:
>I'm looking for some condenser mics (SD and LD) to bring along when I make
>multitrack live recordings. I already have all the dynamics I need.
>I don't want (and can't) spend too much... The mics should be "resistant"
>enough for a live gig (no external powert supply or strange mic clips) and
>not too "expensive" for a live gig (would you use your vintage neumann U87
>for a guitar amp in a live gig?)...
>No AKG C1000 or similars.... I need better sound then that.
>I think that 451s and 414 can be the choice but I want to know what do YOU
>think about it.
>Are there any interesting mics you can suggest me? Rode? Oktava? Others?
>What I can spend is 450$ for a pair of SD condensers (451 on eBay are about
>200-250$ each) and 800$ for a pair of LD.

Why not spend about $1000 for a pair of Josephson Series Four small
diaphragm condensers, or the Audio-Technica AT4053 small diaphragm
condensers?

Two good mikes will beat four mediocre ones any day. And if you are
looking for an ambient pair for live recording, you cannot get too good
a microphone.
--scott

August 10, 2005 8:10:35 PM

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:33:57 GMT, "Federico" <plokmichael@tiscali.it>
wrote:

>I'm looking for some condenser mics (SD and LD) to bring along when I make
>multitrack live recordings. I already have all the dynamics I need.
>I don't want (and can't) spend too much... The mics should be "resistant"
>enough for a live gig (no external powert supply or strange mic clips) and
>not too "expensive" for a live gig (would you use your vintage neumann U87
>for a guitar amp in a live gig?)...
>No AKG C1000 or similars.... I need better sound then that.
>I think that 451s and 414 can be the choice but I want to know what do YOU
>think about it.
>Are there any interesting mics you can suggest me? Rode? Oktava? Others?
>What I can spend is 450$ for a pair of SD condensers (451 on eBay are about
>200-250$ each) and 800$ for a pair of LD.
>
>Thanks for the help.
>F.

For live gigs, I use SD condensers for drum overheads, guitars,
violins, mandolins, and room ambiance. My favourites are the Rode NT5
and the AT 3031.
I have only rarely used LD condensers for live shows, and those have
been bluegrass, where the whole band gather around one microphone. I
use a TLM103, or borrow a U87. Many musicians use an AT 4040 or 4050
for this application.

Mike T.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 8:10:36 PM

Mike T. wrote:
<snip>
> For live gigs, I use SD condensers for drum overheads, guitars,
> violins, mandolins, and room ambiance. My favourites are the Rode NT5
> and the AT 3031.

I second the Rode NT5 for overheads. I use these and they have a great clean and clear sound with
great gain structure. Nice detail for the cymbals, too.

> I have only rarely used LD condensers for live shows, and those have
> been bluegrass, where the whole band gather around one microphone. I
> use a TLM103, or borrow a U87. Many musicians use an AT 4040 or 4050
> for this application.

The AT4050 works better than the 4040 in my opinion, but the 4040 is less money and you won't cry if
it is damaged (well, not too much). A TLM103 is a great mic, too, but costly. I'm not sure I would
take one on the road because I don't know how durable they are. The 4040 I would.

--fletch
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 9:30:46 PM

ok anything that has quick attacks it is best to use small diaphram
condensors. Conversly, large diaphrams are best for bass instruments and
other slower attack instruments like cello, string bass, low brass, low
woodwinds or voice...
small diaphram is definitely the way you go for acoustic guitar,mandoline,
violins, violas, overheads, and percussion.

I have recorded plenty of live acoustic performances and am a violinist for
the past 26 years. so I am giving a fairly good perspective on this.
here is what I have used with great results.

small diaphram mics: on strings use an earthworks mic like an SRO, or sr69,
or tc30k. for brass and woodwinds use an aktava mk012. oktava's are great I
have a bunch of them and use them on every live recording. the mk012 is a
great all purpose mic... in my opinion
the akg 451 tends to sound a little metallic for classic instruments.
there is also a real sleeper and people laugh when I tell them about it.
but it is really great for some purposes. the behringer ecm8000. I know it
is behringer but it is super cheap and sounds much better than a c1000.
they run about $40 a piece. I have a pair of them that I use a lot for drum
overheads. they don't sound that great on violins but for a lot of other
things they are surprisingly good.

large diaphram: the cad MXL2200 is surprisingly good and cheap. SE
Electronics makes a lot of good large diaphram condensors... SE5500, SE5000,
Z5600,ICIS, and the gemini... they hold their own with neumanns...
my choice for bass instruments is still an AKG 414. but some of these
others aren't bad.

Having tried many Audiotechnica mics I don't really find them to be
satisfactory to my ears.. they are lacking in their upper frequency
fidelity. that being said.. I have heard some good vocal tracks recorded
with AT mics... but I still wouldn't use them. same with sm87's I really
don't like them.

that being said... you should never discount the value of a good mic
preamp... because even the best mic won't sound that awesome through a cheap
mic pre... I am using high end fet and all discrete transistor mic pre amps
like api, neve, john hardy etc...

hope that helps

Kristian Svennevig
Producer/ Engineer
Mobius Productions/ Evolution Recording Studios

in article fk8kf11b04shacqi3sthmrq0n2fjs5ctsd@4ax.com, Mike T. at
miket@invalid.net wrote on 8/10/05 11:10:

> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:33:57 GMT, "Federico" <plokmichael@tiscali.it>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for some condenser mics (SD and LD) to bring along when I make
>> multitrack live recordings. I already have all the dynamics I need.
>> I don't want (and can't) spend too much... The mics should be "resistant"
>> enough for a live gig (no external powert supply or strange mic clips) and
>> not too "expensive" for a live gig (would you use your vintage neumann U87
>> for a guitar amp in a live gig?)...
>> No AKG C1000 or similars.... I need better sound then that.
>> I think that 451s and 414 can be the choice but I want to know what do YOU
>> think about it.
>> Are there any interesting mics you can suggest me? Rode? Oktava? Others?
>> What I can spend is 450$ for a pair of SD condensers (451 on eBay are about
>> 200-250$ each) and 800$ for a pair of LD.
>>
>> Thanks for the help.
>> F.
>
> For live gigs, I use SD condensers for drum overheads, guitars,
> violins, mandolins, and room ambiance. My favourites are the Rode NT5
> and the AT 3031.
> I have only rarely used LD condensers for live shows, and those have
> been bluegrass, where the whole band gather around one microphone. I
> use a TLM103, or borrow a U87. Many musicians use an AT 4040 or 4050
> for this application.
>
> Mike T.

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 1:27:02 AM

On 8/10/05 10:33 AM, in article pfoKe.62287$fm.4106676@news4.tin.it,
"Federico" <plokmichael@tiscali.it> wrote:

> I'm looking for some condenser mics (SD and LD) to bring along when I make
> multitrack live recordings.

Easy,
go try some,
buy the ones you like
Use em

>I already have all the dynamics I need.

Nobody has all the dynamics they need.
(right here this is starting to set off some Early Warning Alarms...)

> I don't want (and can't) spend too much...

Then wait till you can afford the mics you want..
(I'm getting more than a little suspicious at this point...)

>The mics should be "resistant"
('resistant'...?!?)
> enough for a live gig (no external powert supply or strange mic clips) and
> not too "expensive" for a live gig (would you use your vintage neumann U87
> for a guitar amp in a live gig?)...

Ever watch Austin City Limits?
(really starting to raise eyebrows and nod confirmingly...)

> No AKG C1000 or similars....

Wait.. But up above you said ...
(now I'm really sure...)

> I need better sound then that.
> I think that 451s and 414 can be the choice but I want to know what do YOU
> think about it.

Ahhh Freddy Baby... You;re just pissin in the wind here aren;t cha!
Completely conflicting demands,
no idea what you;re asking about,
no thought to trying for yourself...
Maybe instead of mics you should spend for a bass boat and trolling
motor...?

> Are there any interesting mics you can suggest me? Rode? Oktava? Others?
> What I can spend is 450$ for a pair of SD condensers (451 on eBay are about
> 200-250$ each) and 800$ for a pair of LD.

Hell, just get a half-doz c535's and then spend a year or 3 borrowing
various better mics and saving rubles until you know what you like and can
afford it!
Easy, like I said at first.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 2:06:02 AM

"Federico" <plokmichael@tiscali.it> wrote in message
news:p foKe.62287$fm.4106676@news4.tin.it...
> I'm looking for some condenser mics (SD and LD) to bring along when I make
> multitrack live recordings. I already have all the dynamics I need.
> I don't want (and can't) spend too much... The mics should be "resistant"
> enough for a live gig (no external powert supply or strange mic clips) and
> not too "expensive" for a live gig (would you use your vintage neumann U87
> for a guitar amp in a live gig?)...
> No AKG C1000 or similars.... I need better sound then that.
> I think that 451s and 414 can be the choice but I want to know what do YOU
> think about it.
> Are there any interesting mics you can suggest me? Rode? Oktava? Others?
> What I can spend is 450$ for a pair of SD condensers (451 on eBay are
about
> 200-250$ each) and 800$ for a pair of LD.

For SD's, I use SM81's, Rode NT5's, and Studio Projects C4's on a routine
basis. The 81's are the most durable, the NT5's have a certain sound that
really appeals to me, and the C4's are the most versatile, with swappable
capsules. Hope this helps.

jb
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 3:13:32 AM

what are you typically recording? rock band in a bar? celtic harp
ensemble at a coffee house? jazz quartet? symphony in a concert hall?
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 10:03:12 AM

Man, what's your problem? It seems to me that the first step for
somebody to find out information about something they don't know enough
about is to ask people who know more. What better place to get
information than this typically very friendly and informative
newsgroup. His requirements are totally on track - quality, cost,
and durability.

Personally, I would generally steer away from 451's (too harsh, no low
end). I do love it for hi hat (better than anything else I've ever
used).

I also probably wouldn't suggest 414's (kind of pricey). Of course you
really need to specify which 414 (ULS good for bass perhaps but not
much else). I have liked the tests I have done with the newer models.

I'd definately consider Shure SM81's for overheads (very durable and
quite nice sounding , and probably easier than most to find used).

AT 4051A's for many acoustic instruments and possibly overheads.

It would help considerably to know what he's recording. For most rock
and jazz, I would typically want to use mostly dynamics. I'd look at
Beyer M 201's (very bright, tight pattern, very durable) for many
situations where condensors are usually used.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 2:37:16 PM

<kenwinokur@verizon.net> wrote:
>Man, what's your problem? It seems to me that the first step for
>somebody to find out information about something they don't know enough
>about is to ask people who know more. What better place to get
>information than this typically very friendly and informative
>newsgroup. His requirements are totally on track - quality, cost,
>and durability.

The problem is that microphones are so much a judgement call.

Another serious problem is that people have posted basically this same
question here, week after week, year after year, and after a couple
decades we're all getting tired of seeing it all the time.
--scott
August 11, 2005 4:11:13 PM

> Another serious problem is that people have posted basically this same
> question here, week after week, year after year, and after a couple
> decades we're all getting tired of seeing it all the time.
> --scott

Has anyone ever considered compiling an extensive mic spreadsheet with type
and price range columns? I get the feeling lots of people just want some
names to investigate and don't feel like asking some slick-haired salesman
at an actual store, in which case such a list would be handy. Then whenever
someone asks for mic suggestions, just post a link to the list and say "do a
google groups search for anything in there that fits your criteria"....

....or people could instead just respond with "it's a judgement call" ;)
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 7:56:25 PM

David Grant <jmd_2003@msn.com> wrote:

>Has anyone ever considered compiling an extensive mic spreadsheet with type
>and price range columns? I get the feeling lots of people just want some
>names to investigate and don't feel like asking some slick-haired salesman
>at an actual store, in which case such a list would be handy. Then whenever
>someone asks for mic suggestions, just post a link to the list and say "do a
>google groups search for anything in there that fits your criteria"....

Yes, it's in the FAQ. It's a little dated these days, but if you want
to update it, feel free.
--scott

August 11, 2005 10:04:37 PM

In article <JLudnSn_x5085WbfRVn-2w@rogers.com> jmd_2003@msn.com writes:

> Has anyone ever considered compiling an extensive mic spreadsheet with type
> and price range columns?

I'm sure there's one on the web somewhere, but it's probably a year
old and therefore hopelessly out of date.

> I get the feeling lots of people just want some
> names to investigate and don't feel like asking some slick-haired salesman
> at an actual store, in which case such a list would be handy.

Well, they should go to the store and listen, even if the salesman has
slick hair. And what he'll be able to listen to is what the store has
in stock. So who cares what they are? Unless they're well established
brand names (which certainly are easier to learn about than via a
comprehensive list) chances are there are different names for
essentially the same mic.

Now what might be interesting is a "nearly the same as" chart, like
you occasionally see for cars - which Chevrolet is actually which
Toyota and the like. If you knew that six differently named and
packaged Chinese mics had the same element and same basic
construction, you could listen to any one of them and pretty much know
what you'd get if you bought another one, unless the difference
between brands of the same guts is with quality control (which it
often is).

August 11, 2005 11:48:33 PM

"reddred" <opaloka@REMOVECAPSyahoo.com> wrote in message

> For SD's, I use SM81's, Rode NT5's, and Studio Projects C4's on a routine
> basis. The 81's are the most durable, the NT5's have a certain sound that
> really appeals to me, and the C4's are the most versatile, with swappable
> capsules. Hope this helps.

Lucky you - 3 new capsules coming out for the NT5s as we speak....

geoff
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:48:34 PM

"Geoff Wood" <geoff@nospam-paf.co.nz> wrote in message

> "reddred" <opaloka@REMOVECAPSyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> > For SD's, I use SM81's, Rode NT5's, and Studio Projects C4's on a
routine
> > basis. The 81's are the most durable, the NT5's have a certain sound
that
> > really appeals to me, and the C4's are the most versatile, with
swappable
> > capsules. Hope this helps.
>
> Lucky you - 3 new capsules coming out for the NT5s as we speak....

Really? Can I buy them seperately or do I have to shell out for a new pair?

jb
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 2:13:25 AM

Federico wrote:

> I'm looking for some condenser mics (SD and LD) to bring along when I make
> multitrack live recordings. I already have all the dynamics I need.
> I don't want (and can't) spend too much... The mics should be "resistant"
> enough for a live gig (no external powert supply or strange mic clips) and
> not too "expensive" for a live gig (would you use your vintage neumann U87
> for a guitar amp in a live gig?)...
> No AKG C1000 or similars.... I need better sound then that.
> I think that 451s and 414 can be the choice but I want to know what do YOU
> think about it.
> Are there any interesting mics you can suggest me? Rode? Oktava? Others?
> What I can spend is 450$ for a pair of SD condensers (451 on eBay are about
> 200-250$ each) and 800$ for a pair of LD.

I thought I would add my voice to the din here...

SD's, In approximate order of 'brightness':

AKG C451
AKG C535 (electret?)
AT 4051
AKG C460/480 *
Rode NT5

The NT5 is the 'darker' of these but does good work
around a drumset. An electret that's a great value
is the CAD C95/C195 and the CM17/E1000.

If you want to use a LD in a location environment
(I don't usually like to)

AKG C414B/ULS
AT 4050

I normally prefer dynamics on stage,
but I'm an old-fart-set-in-my-ways.
There are plenty of good value dynamic mics that
can sound as good as a condensor when used
appropriately such as the Beyer M201 and EV RE55/PL9.

rd
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 3:46:49 AM

In article <1123765392.873198.149060@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
kenwinokur@verizon.net wrote:

> Personally, I would generally steer away from 451's (too harsh, no low
> end). I do love it for hi hat (better than anything else I've ever
> used).

I've used 451's on hi hat for over 20 years. A couple weeks ago (long
story) I used an Electrovoice dynamic instead - it was either a re10 or
11 - on hat, and it sounded tremendous. Boy was I surprised!

Am recording a couple of drumkits over the next few days, and I'm gonna
try using it again instead of the 451 . Am curious to see if it was
something with that particular hat or if it indeed just sounds better to
me.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 10:06:05 AM

kenwinokur@verizon.net wrote:

> I can easily imagine that responding to the same questions about mics
> or whatever can get tedious. But, with the speed that the market
> changes (anybody checked out the new Neumanns I just saw listed in my
> Sweetwater catalogue that arrived yesterday), the answer to this
> question changes all the time.

I wouldn't mind having the new Neumann dynamic based
on the looks alone. Retro-Goofy. But ... I already
have a Sennheiser MD431. Not that the 431 isn't
overstyled itself.

> Obviously, if someone doesn't want to respond (again) to a question,
> they can just ignore it. In this case there were quite a few people
> who didn't mind reviewing a few basics for a newcomer.

Some people get inundated by Google because of
poor search skills. Some simply would rather ask
a question rather than do their own research (or
listening). Some like interacting with others in
a good way (contributing) or a bad way (trolling).

rd
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 10:53:29 AM

It's too bad the FAQ link doesn't appear obviously on the first page
of this newsgroup.

Just now, I found it with only a little trouble (at least I think it's
the FAQ you're refering to -
http://www.phys.tue.nl/people/etimmerman/RecordingFAQ.h...). Then,
when I went to look at the mic page I found that it didn't really
answer the question Frederico asked. Is there a FAQ that actually
gives basic mic recommendations?
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 10:54:53 AM

It's too bad the FAQ link doesn't appear obviously on the first page
of this newsgroup.

Just now, I found it with only a little trouble (at least I think it's
the FAQ you're refering to -
http://www.phys.tue.nl/people/etimmerman/RecordingFAQ.h...). Then,
when I went to look at the mic page I found that it didn't really
answer the question Frederico asked. Is there a FAQ that actually
gives basic mic recommendations?
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 11:36:40 AM

Another SD mic that hasn't been mentioned in this thread (although it
has been discussed to death in previous ones) is the Neumann KM84. I
have owned a pair of these for about 25 years. I used to use them for
everything (they were the only good mics I had at that time) but have
more recently hardly put them to use.

In the days of analog tape their very bright quality seemed a godsend.
Now in the digital age I find them too bright (for drum overheads, and
many acoustic instruments). Their low end though is very sweet. They
are substantially brighter than my AT 4051a's or my SM81's.

I've never had my serviced. I have often wondered if they have changed
substantially. Mine are a nonmatched (but very similar sounding) pair.
The two still sound the same.

Do others find them too bright, now a days? Or should I look toward
having mine serviced? Of course, since I don't use them much any more,
I'm reluctant to spend to money to have them looked at.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 11:37:27 AM

[...]

August 12, 2005 11:46:25 AM

Double Huh? I check this group off the web (I don't have it delivered
to my email). Perhaps I have my terminology wrong, but the first
information that comes up (Isn't that a "page"?) lists new threads, and
has another column of older active threads. The FAQ doesn't come up
anywhere in either of the lists.

In any case, it's easy to see why newcomers don't check out the FAQ. I
can't find it, and I've been reading this group for years.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 11:53:05 AM

> "Geoff Wood" <geoff@nospam-paf.co.nz> wrote in message
>>
>> "reddred" <opaloka@REMOVECAPSyahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> > For SD's, I use SM81's, Rode NT5's, and Studio Projects C4's on a
> routine
>> > basis. The 81's are the most durable, the NT5's have a certain sound
> that
>> > really appeals to me, and the C4's are the most versatile, with
> swappable
>> > capsules. Hope this helps.
>>
>> Lucky you - 3 new capsules coming out for the NT5s as we speak....
>>

> Really? Can I buy them seperately or do I have to shell out for a new
> pair?

Separately. Not sure if they are on the streets yet. But if not, close.
They are also putting out plugin phantom-powered line-drivers and ones to
build into exisiting mics.

geoff
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 11:53:06 AM

> "reddred" <opaloka@REMOVECAPSyahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Geoff Wood" <geoff@nospam-paf.co.nz> wrote in message

> > routine
> > that
> > swappable
> >>
> >> Lucky you - 3 new capsules coming out for the NT5s as we speak....
> >>

> > Really? Can I buy them seperately or do I have to shell out for a new
> > pair?
>

> Separately. Not sure if they are on the streets yet. But if not, close.
> They are also putting out plugin phantom-powered line-drivers and ones to
> build into exisiting mics.
>
> geoff

Well, sounds nice but... have to buy a new Washer/Dryer. Made the mistake of
buying an all-in-one, it just looked so cool and compact, towering above the
plain, squat utility devices. Oh well, no toys for a while. I have the c4's
anyway, and I'll get to use them wearing reasonably clean clothes.

jb
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 2:05:35 PM

In article <1123854809.378429.185810@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
<kenwinokur@verizon.net> wrote:
>It's too bad the FAQ link doesn't appear obviously on the first page
>of this newsgroup.
>
>Just now, I found it with only a little trouble (at least I think it's
>the FAQ you're refering to -
>http://www.phys.tue.nl/people/etimmerman/RecordingFAQ.h...). Then,
>when I went to look at the mic page I found that it didn't really
>answer the question Frederico asked. Is there a FAQ that actually
>gives basic mic recommendations?

No, the rec.audio.pro FAQ. It's posted here now and then, and it has
noexpire set, so it should be the oldest message in the group on your
news server.
--scott
August 12, 2005 2:34:49 PM

<kenwinokur@verizon.net> wrote in message

> It's too bad the FAQ link doesn't appear obviously on the first page
> of this newsgroup.

Huh? A newsgroup doesn't have a first page (or any pages, for that matter).

Hal Laurent
Baltimore
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 2:51:12 PM

> Double Huh? I check this group off the web (I don't have it delivered
> to my email). Perhaps I have my terminology wrong, but the first
> information that comes up (Isn't that a "page"?) lists new threads, and
> has another column of older active threads. The FAQ doesn't come up
> anywhere in either of the lists.
>
> In any case, it's easy to see why newcomers don't check out the FAQ. I
> can't find it, and I've been reading this group for years.

I did a Google search on <rec.audo.pro FAQ> and got many, many hits
including:

www.faqs.org/faqs/AudioFAQ/pro-audio-faq
www.recaudiopro.net

While you may be using a browser and Google Groups to read the newsgroup,
newsgroups are a whole different animal than web pages. There is a fairly
good explanation here:

www.learnthenet.com/english/html/26nwsgrp.htm

....which I also got from a Google search.

Steve King
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 4:07:42 PM

> ...which I also got from a Google search.
>
> Steve King

Maybe we also need a "how to google" tutorial posted regularly in here.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 4:10:18 PM

In article <1123854809.378429.185810@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> kenwinokur@verizon.net writes:

> It's too bad the FAQ link doesn't appear obviously on the first page
> of this newsgroup.

Does any Usenet newsgroup have a "first page?"

> Just now, I found it with only a little trouble (at least I think it's
> the FAQ you're refering to -
> http://www.phys.tue.nl/people/etimmerman/RecordingFAQ.h...).

I suppose that the same FAQ might be posted several places. The one on
the web (FAQs were invented before the WWW became "The Interent" to
most people) that I know, that's at least maintained to the extent
that the web page is up, is at http://www.recaudiopro.net

There's nobody really updating it though. The latest "market survey"
dates are from 1998.

August 12, 2005 4:24:17 PM

Fletch wrote:

> Mike T. wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> For live gigs, I use SD condensers for drum overheads, guitars,
>> violins, mandolins, and room ambiance. My favourites are the Rode NT5
>> and the AT 3031.
>

> I second the Rode NT5 for overheads. I use these and they have a great
> clean and clear sound with great gain structure. Nice detail for the
> cymbals, too.

*snip*

I also am a huge fan of the NT5's for a variety of purposes. I've had
mine for about a year now and i've never ran into a sonic problem. (They
remind me of Neumann km184's, but mellower).

Roach
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 7:12:25 PM

<kenwinokur@verizon.net> wrote:
>Double Huh? I check this group off the web (I don't have it delivered
>to my email). Perhaps I have my terminology wrong, but the first
>information that comes up (Isn't that a "page"?) lists new threads, and
>has another column of older active threads. The FAQ doesn't come up
>anywhere in either of the lists.

This is Usenet. Most people read it through a news reader which talks
to a local Usenet server that is run by their ISP.

You seem to be reading it through Google, which is a hopelessly bad user
interface that was designed by people who didn't really understand how
Usenet works. Google runs a Usenet server, one of about 70,000 in the
world, but they allow you to read news directly on the server through
the web.

If you do a google search on the group for "FAQ" in the subject, you
will probably find it posted quite a few times.

But the google interface is really horrid and I strongly urge you to
get a real newsreader if you want to read news.

>In any case, it's easy to see why newcomers don't check out the FAQ. I
>can't find it, and I've been reading this group for years.

Yes, but you've been reading it through a very strange and unusual system
that is very different than what most people see on their newsreader.
--scott

August 13, 2005 3:07:05 PM

"Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message news:D disap$1j5

> But the google interface is really horrid and I strongly urge you to
> get a real newsreader if you want to read news.

Even Outlook Express is better ttahn web-based USENETting !

geoff
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 3:07:06 PM

In article <42fd2b8a$1@clear.net.nz> geoff@nospam-paf.co.nz writes:

> Even Outlook Express is better ttahn web-based USENETting !

Actually, I prefer Google to Outlook Express or Thunderbird (which is
my mail program of choice, that also does news). I don't have to waste
disk space on my computer with stuff that I can look up on the web.

August 13, 2005 7:44:00 PM

kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in news:D disap$1j5$1
@panix2.panix.com:
>>In any case, it's easy to see why newcomers don't check out the FAQ. I
>>can't find it, and I've been reading this group for years.
>
> Yes, but you've been reading it through a very strange and unusual system
> that is very different than what most people see on their newsreader.

Scott, as I've mentioned to you, I'm grateful for what I've learned from
your postings here, and the care you put into answers to folks not always
part of the "founder's group".

But on the FAQ thing, telling folks "read the FAQ", which I see often, will
work better if a better cue is provided.

I use Giganews as my news provider, and Xnews as my reader, neither of
which I thought were in the contemptible category, and the FAQ is nowhere
to be seen in my reader. Some time ago I googled the regular web and found
a copy--likely not the "right one".

This time, trying, I come across:
http://www.recaudiopro.net/faq/

So, anyway, if "read the FAQ" is meant either to help, or to usefully push
away too frequently repeated questions, a reference people can find would
help. Of course if the intent is to push away undesired newbies, status
quo works fine.

Best regards (honest),
Peter A. Stoll
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 8:17:41 PM

"Peter A. Stoll" wrote ...
> So, anyway, if "read the FAQ" is meant either to help,
> or to usefully push away too frequently repeated questions,
> a reference people can find would help. Of course if the
> intent is to push away undesired newbies, status quo works
> fine.

No offense to anyone, but it seems to me that given the name
of the newsgroup and the fact that a FAQ is available is
sufficient information to allow anyone to look it up.
If they aren't *that* sufficiently motivated, maybe they
don't desrve beeing bottle-fed. Having to look up the FAQ
list does tend to discriminate between the children and the
adults.

And consider the POV of the regulars here. Why do you
think they call them FAQs and took the trouble to
compile and publish them?
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 10:33:48 PM

Richard Crowley wrote:

> No offense to anyone, but it seems to me that given the name
> of the newsgroup and the fact that a FAQ is available is
> sufficient information to allow anyone to look it up.
> If they aren't *that* sufficiently motivated, maybe they don't desrve
> beeing bottle-fed. Having to look up the FAQ
> list does tend to discriminate between the children and the adults.

I don't believe this! It's just about being courteous and
helpful. Incredible that we now consider such things
superfluous.

If somebody stops and asks you directions that you know, do
you send him to the bookstore to get a map to qualify his
ability to get there?

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 2:54:08 AM

Peter A. Stoll wrote:

> But on the FAQ thing, telling folks "read the FAQ", which I see often, will
> work better if a better cue is provided.

Policy is obviously entirely up to who can be bothered to implement it,
but typically, if a newsgroup has a FAQ
(a) it's sometimes posted to the group once per month,
(b) it's usually also hosted on a web site somewhere that Google can
find it,
(c) in the latter case (especially if the FAQ is long) the monthly
posting may take the form of a link rather than the entire text.

I don't think this group has a monthly FAQ posting.

Certainly a link would have been helpful, but you did the right thing
and found a copy for yourself.

--
Anahata
anahata@treewind.co.uk -+- http://www.treewind.co.uk

In article <11fsvsmb88t41b9@corp.supernews.com> rcrowley@xpr7t.net writes:

> And consider the POV of the regulars here. Why do you
> think they call them FAQs and took the trouble to
> compile and publish them?

So they can update them every few months? Oh, sorry, that's FUQ. <g>

August 15, 2005 12:31:43 AM

> In article <42fd2b8a$1@clear.net.nz> geoff@nospam-paf.co.nz writes:
>
>> Even Outlook Express is better ttahn web-based USENETting !
>
> Actually, I prefer Google to Outlook Express or Thunderbird (which is
> my mail program of choice, that also does news). I don't have to waste
> disk space on my computer with stuff that I can look up on the web.

I thought disk space was trivial and inexpensive these days. Certainly is
in comparison to my time and effort paging backwards and forwards thru
clumsy web-interfaces ! Each to his own, I guess, like mics and music.

geoff
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 8:43:42 AM

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:24:17 -0400, Mike Rocha
<therealroach@rogers.com> wrote:

>Fletch wrote:
>>

>> Mike T. wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>>> For live gigs, I use SD condensers for drum overheads, guitars,
>>> violins, mandolins, and room ambiance. My favourites are the Rode NT5
>>> and the AT 3031.
>>

>> I second the Rode NT5 for overheads. I use these and they have a great
>> clean and clear sound with great gain structure. Nice detail for the
>> cymbals, too.
>
>*snip*
>
>I also am a huge fan of the NT5's for a variety of purposes. I've had
>mine for about a year now and i've never ran into a sonic problem. (They
>remind me of Neumann km184's, but mellower).
>
>Roach

Or, if I want to REALLY get delusional, kind of like km84's, but
quieter.

Mike T.
!