Can't Install game

Trying to install Battle Field 1942, gets to screen Battle Field 1942
\eReg\BattleField 1942_Code.exe and freezes with message "Specified
component cannot be found in media. An attempt was made to access a
component that does not exist in named media".

eReg\BattleField 1942_Code.exe is on CD ROM why will it not install.

Any help appreciated. Would return game for refund but opened software will
not be accepted.

Tried on two different CD drives, same result.

Thanks.

Stan.
3 answers Last reply
More about install game

    Hi Stan,

    That type of error could mean the CD is corrupt... Check the CD
    and the CD Player. Clean both using a Cleaning Kit, and check for
    scratches on the CD. Try installing the game on another computer,
    if the game installs, the culprit is probably your CD ROM drive if it
    doesn't install then it's the CD, in which case you need to replace it.

    Before replacing the CD, try copying it to your hard drive and then
    run the setup / installation program from there. To copy the CD go
    to My Computer, Right-Click the CD, Choose "Copy", then Right-
    Click on your Hard Drive, Choose "Paste".

    Uninstall the game using Add-Remove programs before attempting
    to reinstall it. (Start / Control Panel / Add-Remove Programs).

    Here are three basic troubleshooting steps which I recommend:

    1. To see if it's a software conflict: Temporarily disable Startup
    programs one at a time, starting with Firewall, Antivirus, and ad
    blockers using: http://new.jtsoft2001.com/windows/startup.php

    You can lookup what a program does before you disable it here:
    http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

    2. Run a virus scan at: http://housecall.antivirus.com Afterwards
    Download & Run Spybot from: http://security.kolla.de to find any
    Trojans, Adware, or Spyware which could clog up your system.

    3. Click My Computer / Rightclick the Drive & Choose Properties
    / Run the "Disk Cleanup..." / Next Click the "Tools" Tab and run
    the "Error-Checking" and "Defragmentation" utilities.

    If nothing including those 3 steps have resolved the problem so far,
    here's more basic troubleshooting steps and information including:
    The Safedisc patch
    How to check CD for imperfections, and
    How to Disable Virtual CD rom drives which is described at:
    http://tinyurl.com/2387c (EA General Support Page) and also:

    How to Troubleshoot Disc-Reading Issues
    Error Messages That May Be Caused by Disc-Reading Issues
    Troubleshoot Error Messages
    Examine the Disc
    Clean the Disc
    Test the Disc in a Different Drive
    Clean the Drive
    Test Disc Read with Copy or Xcopy
    Quit Unnecessary Software
    Switch the Drive Controller to DMA Mode, and
    How to Troubleshoot DVD Error Messages is available in this
    MS Article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=321641

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "stan" <*@myomy.com> wrote in message news:uau7Kz1vEHA.344@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Trying to install Battle Field 1942, gets to screen Battle Field 1942 \eReg\BattleField 1942_Code.exe and freezes with message
    > "Specified component cannot be found in media. An attempt was made to access a component that does not exist in named media".
    >
    > eReg\BattleField 1942_Code.exe is on CD ROM why will it not install.
    >
    > Any help appreciated. Would return game for refund but opened software will not be accepted.
    >
    > Tried on two different CD drives, same result.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Stan.

    Jimmy,

    It did turn out to be a corrupted CD.

    After exchanged game installed . Never suspected a bad disk, eve EA"s web
    site did not suggest a bad disk could be the culprit.

    Thanks again.

    Stan

    "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
> [...]
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
    > Contact
    > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
    > rights.
    >

    > "stan" <*@myomy.com> wrote in message
    >> Trying to install Battle Field 1942, gets to screen Battle Field 1942
    >> \eReg\BattleField 1942_Code.exe and freezes with message "Specified
    >> component cannot be found in media. An attempt was made to access a
    >> component that does not exist in named media".
    >>
    >> eReg\BattleField 1942_Code.exe is on CD ROM why will it not install.
    >>
    >> Any help appreciated. Would return game for refund but opened software
    >> will not be accepted.
    >>
    >> Tried on two different CD drives, same result.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    Glad that worked out for you Stan! :-)

    Cheers,
    Jimmy.

    "stan" <*@myomy.com> wrote in message news:ePUDjZDwEHA.3096@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> [...]
    | >
    | > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    | > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
    | > Contact
    | > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
    | > rights.
    | >

    | > "stan" <*@myomy.com> wrote in message
    | >> Trying to install Battle Field 1942, gets to screen Battle Field 1942
    | >> \eReg\BattleField 1942_Code.exe and freezes with message "Specified
    | >> component cannot be found in media. An attempt was made to access a
    | >> component that does not exist in named media".
    | >>
    | >> eReg\BattleField 1942_Code.exe is on CD ROM why will it not install.
    | >>
    | >> Any help appreciated. Would return game for refund but opened software
    | >> will not be accepted.
    | >>
    | >> Tried on two different CD drives, same result.

Battlefield Games CD-Rom Components Video Games