Can't Install game

Last response: in Video Games
Share
October 31, 2004 12:17:52 PM

Trying to install Battle Field 1942, gets to screen Battle Field 1942
\eReg\BattleField 1942_Code.exe and freezes with message "Specified
component cannot be found in media. An attempt was made to access a
component that does not exist in named media".

eReg\BattleField 1942_Code.exe is on CD ROM why will it not install.

Any help appreciated. Would return game for refund but opened software will
not be accepted.

Tried on two different CD drives, same result.

Thanks.

Stan.

More about : install game

Anonymous
October 31, 2004 10:21:19 PM

Hi Stan,

That type of error could mean the CD is corrupt... Check the CD
and the CD Player. Clean both using a Cleaning Kit, and check for
scratches on the CD. Try installing the game on another computer,
if the game installs, the culprit is probably your CD ROM drive if it
doesn't install then it's the CD, in which case you need to replace it.

Before replacing the CD, try copying it to your hard drive and then
run the setup / installation program from there. To copy the CD go
to My Computer, Right-Click the CD, Choose "Copy", then Right-
Click on your Hard Drive, Choose "Paste".

Uninstall the game using Add-Remove programs before attempting
to reinstall it. (Start / Control Panel / Add-Remove Programs).

Here are three basic troubleshooting steps which I recommend:

1. To see if it's a software conflict: Temporarily disable Startup
programs one at a time, starting with Firewall, Antivirus, and ad
blockers using: http://new.jtsoft2001.com/windows/startup.php

You can lookup what a program does before you disable it here:
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

2. Run a virus scan at: http://housecall.antivirus.com Afterwards
Download & Run Spybot from: http://security.kolla.de to find any
Trojans, Adware, or Spyware which could clog up your system.

3. Click My Computer / Rightclick the Drive & Choose Properties
/ Run the "Disk Cleanup..." / Next Click the "Tools" Tab and run
the "Error-Checking" and "Defragmentation" utilities.

If nothing including those 3 steps have resolved the problem so far,
here's more basic troubleshooting steps and information including:
The Safedisc patch
How to check CD for imperfections, and
How to Disable Virtual CD rom drives which is described at:
http://tinyurl.com/2387c (EA General Support Page) and also:

How to Troubleshoot Disc-Reading Issues
Error Messages That May Be Caused by Disc-Reading Issues
Troubleshoot Error Messages
Examine the Disc
Clean the Disc
Test the Disc in a Different Drive
Clean the Drive
Test Disc Read with Copy or Xcopy
Quit Unnecessary Software
Switch the Drive Controller to DMA Mode, and
How to Troubleshoot DVD Error Messages is available in this
MS Article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=321641

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

"stan" <*@myomy.com> wrote in message news:uau7Kz1vEHA.344@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Trying to install Battle Field 1942, gets to screen Battle Field 1942 \eReg\BattleField 1942_Code.exe and freezes with message
> "Specified component cannot be found in media. An attempt was made to access a component that does not exist in named media".
>
> eReg\BattleField 1942_Code.exe is on CD ROM why will it not install.
>
> Any help appreciated. Would return game for refund but opened software will not be accepted.
>
> Tried on two different CD drives, same result.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Stan.

November 1, 2004 2:15:24 PM

Jimmy,

It did turn out to be a corrupted CD.

After exchanged game installed . Never suspected a bad disk, eve EA"s web
site did not suggest a bad disk could be the culprit.

Thanks again.

Stan

"Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
news:o w6E3i6vEHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
> Contact
> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
> rights.
>

> "stan" <*@myomy.com> wrote in message
>> Trying to install Battle Field 1942, gets to screen Battle Field 1942
>> \eReg\BattleField 1942_Code.exe and freezes with message "Specified
>> component cannot be found in media. An attempt was made to access a
>> component that does not exist in named media".
>>
>> eReg\BattleField 1942_Code.exe is on CD ROM why will it not install.
>>
>> Any help appreciated. Would return game for refund but opened software
>> will not be accepted.
>>
>> Tried on two different CD drives, same result.

Anonymous
November 1, 2004 4:33:03 PM

Glad that worked out for you Stan! :-)

Cheers,