mbaris18

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2003
I have IBM 40GB disk.He went down a couple days ago without any strange behaviour, no bad sectors, nothing...I've tried a thousand of times and BIOS just can't read it.If anyone maybe knows how to fix this problem, please help me!

Greetings from Croatia! :)

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Do you have a disk handy to get your data from it?
You might get lucky <b>once</b>! Put the Hard Drive in a plastic bag then put it in the freezer overnight.

I don't think it is worthwhile repairing.

The loving are the daring!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It sounds like something happened on the interface card on the bottom of the drive. You could try replacing that card with one from a working drive if you had a spare.

I often look for bad hard drives at my local dealer, and remove the cards from drives with bad media (head crashed), then use those to replace the interface cards on drives with bad electronics. It's a good way to get 1 good drive out of 2 dead drives.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

mbaris18

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2003
I'll try that!
There is one more chance!I've read about warranty on Hitachi's (IBM) web site.That disk is still under warranty and I could send them broken disk and they would send me back a new one, but this doesn't work in Croatia! :) The nearest counrty is Austria. Could I send them from cousins adress in Austria?

Greetings from Croatia! :)

Derek1970

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2003
Interesting, I just had two of my IBM 40 gig 60GXP drives go within days of each other, in different machines! They are both covered under warranty thus I sent them back. Fair warning, Hitachi has very strict packaging requirments, none of which you can purchase from a shipper. Luckily I had the rubber foam inserts from previous shipments in my closet. They will void your warranty if you do not comply with their strict packaging requirements. I don't think I will purchase IBM drives again. I never had this kind of problem with any HD I owned in the past 10 years!

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Maybe I was too deep in the woods and did not hear anithing about "Broken Glass" stuffz, but my GXPs are just fine, none went kuku since they came out. Writing this from the same 40 Gig (two years old) and think it will do couple more years without crossing my fingerz.

It all depends how you have it "ON"...

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
this seems to be going on for years so I will repeat it...
the newer GXP120 & 180 series are very good, its the previous series (ie 60 & 75 series) that are a bit c**p, well known for just falling over for no reason except for some generic fault in the series...

if it is under warranty use it, if not get a newer, decent HDD series HDD (Maxtor PLus 9, Samsung P80, Hitachi GXP180 or WD xxxJB or Seagate 7200) these are the good ones

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...