MAC Mini w/Pro Tools?

Last response: in Home Audio
August 11, 2005 1:41:36 AM

Anyone tried the Mac Mini with Pro Tools yet?

The specs look comparable to a Powerbook. Add Ram and it could be
almost as portable a DAW as a Powerbook at 1/2 the cost?

If so, I'd be interested to know how many tracks of audio you can run
and how many will record at once?
Thanks

More about : mac mini pro tools

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:00:34 AM

I have a 1.4 ghz minimac with 1gb ram and I run pro tools le. It works
great- I have had no problems at all. I use a glyph fw hd for audio
data. I haven't recorded more than 8 tracks at once, but it hasn't
flinched while doing that. The most tracks I've had going is somewhere
around 10 or 12, so not too many, but once again, flawless performance.
I run maybe 2-3 plug ins per track (eq, dynamics, etc...). I use
outboard reverb. I don't know how portable it will be once you start
dealing with a monitor and keyboard, etc.... I bought a 1.2ghz ibook
for portability but I haven't set up the daw on it yet.

Nate
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:32:25 AM

Thanks! That's what I figured. I'd really like to know how it runs on
the ibook when you get it working?
Dkid
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 12:25:03 PM

When computers were 266 - 300mhz we all used to get 16 - 24 tracks on
protools. When I got my G4 733 a couple years ago I thought ...this
will be limitless! Alas, we were still claiming the same track counts.
By rights a 1.4ghz minimac ought to give you all 32 tracks on LE, no?
I recently got a G5 dual2.0 and HD1 and have yet to reach the ceiling,
but then again Mach 5 and Reason will probobly hold it down to .... uh
.... maybe 12 - 16 tracks.
The only thing I know for sure is that the algorithms will continually
expand to the available CPU power. Functionally, I am no better off
than my old IICX with an audiomedia II card. Sonically, that's another
story.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 10:04:35 PM

In article <1123773902.995264.151820@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> profkkelly@yahoo.com writes:

> When computers were 266 - 300mhz we all used to get 16 - 24 tracks on
> protools.

To paraphrase what Bill Gates was rumored to have said: "That should
be enough tracks for anybody."

> The only thing I know for sure is that the algorithms will continually
> expand to the available CPU power. Functionally, I am no better off
> than my old IICX with an audiomedia II card. Sonically, that's another
> story.

Fuctionally, perhaps not, but you have so many more choices now that
you can spend much more time on projects - billable time, of course.