Sidewinder Joystick: 15pin to USB

Last response: in Video Games
November 2, 2004 9:49:01 PM

I have an 'old' sidewinder 3D pro plus joystick that terminates with a 15pin
canon connector. I recently acquired a new computer with OS XP Home but
without a games adapter. I bought a 15pin to USB connector assuming that the
Joystick would be automatically recognised, but I cannot get it to work
despite trying some of the advice elsewhere on this site. Is it a reasonable
idea to directly connect to the USB using an adapter and, if so, how do I get
the Computer to recognise the Joystick.
Any advice gratefully received.
Jim
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 2:27:48 AM

You probably have an adaptor to make an ANALOG joystick work on a USB
port. Your stick is probably DIGITAL, which uses the serial MIDI
capabilities on the standard PC game port. You need to get a sound card
with a standard game port OR a replacement joystick that connects
directly to a USB port. A few digital controlers came with propriatary
adaptors, but you probably have to get the adaptor that was custom
designed to work with your model of controler.

The Moonlit Knight wrote:

> I have an 'old' sidewinder 3D pro plus joystick that terminates with a 15pin
> canon connector. I recently acquired a new computer with OS XP Home but
> without a games adapter. I bought a 15pin to USB connector assuming that the
> Joystick would be automatically recognised, but I cannot get it to work
> despite trying some of the advice elsewhere on this site. Is it a reasonable
> idea to directly connect to the USB using an adapter and, if so, how do I get
> the Computer to recognise the Joystick.
> Any advice gratefully received.
> Jim
November 3, 2004 6:48:16 AM

Hi,

I had the same problem and the advice was that I needed an other soundcard
in my computer. But before you do so, please check the quality of your
current sound card. In my new comp I had a very good sound card and to have
that replaced meant high cost. If you have a very good one and you buy a
cheap one you may be disappointed. I finally decided to buy a new stick.

Good luck,
John, femboxer@hotmail.com

"RobertVA" wrote:

> You probably have an adaptor to make an ANALOG joystick work on a USB
> port. Your stick is probably DIGITAL, which uses the serial MIDI
> capabilities on the standard PC game port. You need to get a sound card
> with a standard game port OR a replacement joystick that connects
> directly to a USB port. A few digital controlers came with propriatary
> adaptors, but you probably have to get the adaptor that was custom
> designed to work with your model of controler.
>
> The Moonlit Knight wrote:
>
> > I have an 'old' sidewinder 3D pro plus joystick that terminates with a 15pin
> > canon connector. I recently acquired a new computer with OS XP Home but
> > without a games adapter. I bought a 15pin to USB connector assuming that the
> > Joystick would be automatically recognised, but I cannot get it to work
> > despite trying some of the advice elsewhere on this site. Is it a reasonable
> > idea to directly connect to the USB using an adapter and, if so, how do I get
> > the Computer to recognise the Joystick.
> > Any advice gratefully received.
> > Jim

November 3, 2004 11:33:02 AM

I'm in exactly the same situation - I was going to put the soundcard from my
old PC into my new machine, and disable it except for the gameport, but the
card is too big for the slots in the new PC - I'm not technical so I don't
know what the difference is. I've noticed some cheap soundcards on ebay which
look like they'll fit, so I might get one and do it that way....not sure if
this will work though.

I really like my old forcefeedback pro, and I'm reluctant to discard it and
spend on a new USB model :(

"john" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had the same problem and the advice was that I needed an other soundcard
> in my computer. But before you do so, please check the quality of your
> current sound card. In my new comp I had a very good sound card and to have
> that replaced meant high cost. If you have a very good one and you buy a
> cheap one you may be disappointed. I finally decided to buy a new stick.
>
> Good luck,
> John, femboxer@hotmail.com
>

> "RobertVA" wrote:
>
> > You probably have an adaptor to make an ANALOG joystick work on a USB
> > port. Your stick is probably DIGITAL, which uses the serial MIDI
> > capabilities on the standard PC game port. You need to get a sound card
> > with a standard game port OR a replacement joystick that connects
> > directly to a USB port. A few digital controlers came with propriatary
> > adaptors, but you probably have to get the adaptor that was custom
> > designed to work with your model of controler.
> >
> > The Moonlit Knight wrote:
> >
> > > I have an 'old' sidewinder 3D pro plus joystick that terminates with a 15pin
> > > canon connector. I recently acquired a new computer with OS XP Home but
> > > without a games adapter. I bought a 15pin to USB connector assuming that the
> > > Joystick would be automatically recognised, but I cannot get it to work
> > > despite trying some of the advice elsewhere on this site. Is it a reasonable
> > > idea to directly connect to the USB using an adapter and, if so, how do I get
> > > the Computer to recognise the Joystick.
> > > Any advice gratefully received.
> > > Jim

Anonymous
November 3, 2004 8:25:19 PM

If you prefer the sound hardware on your motherboard, you can continue
to use it. Many motherboards with onboard sound lack the game port
though. You only need the game port on the expansion card. An older ISA
slot sound card woun't fit in the PCI slots most late model computers
have. You need a PCI slot card.

john wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had the same problem and the advice was that I needed an other soundcard
> in my computer. But before you do so, please check the quality of your
> current sound card. In my new comp I had a very good sound card and to have
> that replaced meant high cost. If you have a very good one and you buy a
> cheap one you may be disappointed. I finally decided to buy a new stick.
>
> Good luck,
> John, femboxer@hotmail.com
>

> "RobertVA" wrote:
>

>>You probably have an adaptor to make an ANALOG joystick work on a USB
>>port. Your stick is probably DIGITAL, which uses the serial MIDI
>>capabilities on the standard PC game port. You need to get a sound card
>>with a standard game port OR a replacement joystick that connects
>>directly to a USB port. A few digital controlers came with propriatary
>>adaptors, but you probably have to get the adaptor that was custom
>>designed to work with your model of controler.
>>
>>The Moonlit Knight wrote:
>>

>>>I have an 'old' sidewinder 3D pro plus joystick that terminates with a 15pin
>>>canon connector. I recently acquired a new computer with OS XP Home but
>>>without a games adapter. I bought a 15pin to USB connector assuming that the
>>>Joystick would be automatically recognised, but I cannot get it to work
>>>despite trying some of the advice elsewhere on this site. Is it a reasonable
>>>idea to directly connect to the USB using an adapter and, if so, how do I get
>>>the Computer to recognise the Joystick.
>>>Any advice gratefully received.
>>>Jim

Anonymous
November 3, 2004 10:46:42 PM

More than likely, it won't work. The 3D Pro joystick was physically
designed as a gameport only device. Simply getting an adapter won't work
because the joystick is only designed to work with a gameport..

Steve
November 9, 2004 4:00:05 AM

I would agree... Long story short, you'd probably have to write your own
driver to make it work properly... but I have a theory as to how it could
work... read on if you're interested in my mindless ramblings...

AFAIK USB devices communicate in an entirely different fashion from say a 15
pin Joystick or a serial mouse. USB is designed so the computer recieves the
final signal from the device, that is, the computer dosn't have to interpret
it with special software like drivers or config prgrams, although you can
still use them. The SW 3d Pro is essentially an analog stick with a digital
converter. (I owned one and have taken it apart and rebuilt it more then
once) But either way, the signals come out of the controller and the
computer has to inerpret them with a driver. Unless the old Sidewinder
software could be configured to recognise a USB Port as a Standard PC game
port...

Hope that helps...

"Steve Sullivan" wrote:

> More than likely, it won't work. The 3D Pro joystick was physically
> designed as a gameport only device. Simply getting an adapter won't work
> because the joystick is only designed to work with a gameport..
>
> Steve

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 11:57:03 AM

I have a sidewinder game pad for windows 95-98 that im trying to install the
software but it tell me that the gamecard is not there or not configure
properly or can not find file.

"RobertVA" wrote:

> You probably have an adaptor to make an ANALOG joystick work on a USB
> port. Your stick is probably DIGITAL, which uses the serial MIDI
> capabilities on the standard PC game port. You need to get a sound card
> with a standard game port OR a replacement joystick that connects
> directly to a USB port. A few digital controlers came with propriatary
> adaptors, but you probably have to get the adaptor that was custom
> designed to work with your model of controler.
>
> The Moonlit Knight wrote:
>
> > I have an 'old' sidewinder 3D pro plus joystick that terminates with a 15pin
> > canon connector. I recently acquired a new computer with OS XP Home but
> > without a games adapter. I bought a 15pin to USB connector assuming that the
> > Joystick would be automatically recognised, but I cannot get it to work
> > despite trying some of the advice elsewhere on this site. Is it a reasonable
> > idea to directly connect to the USB using an adapter and, if so, how do I get
> > the Computer to recognise the Joystick.
> > Any advice gratefully received.
> > Jim

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 9:40:24 PM

Hi,

I've replied to the latest of your several posts. :-)

Cheers,
Jimmy.

"sidewinder game pad" <sidewindergamepad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a sidewinder game pad for windows 95-98 that im trying to install the
> software but it tell me that the gamecard is not there or not configure
> properly or can not find file.
>
> "RobertVA" wrote:
>
>> You probably have an adaptor to make an ANALOG joystick work on a USB
>> port. Your stick is probably DIGITAL, which uses the serial MIDI
>> capabilities on the standard PC game port. You need to get a sound card
>> with a standard game port OR a replacement joystick that connects
>> directly to a USB port. A few digital controlers came with propriatary
>> adaptors, but you probably have to get the adaptor that was custom
>> designed to work with your model of controler.
>>
>> The Moonlit Knight wrote:
>>
>> > I have an 'old' sidewinder 3D pro plus joystick that terminates with a 15pin
>> > canon connector. I recently acquired a new computer with OS XP Home but
>> > without a games adapter. I bought a 15pin to USB connector assuming that the
>> > Joystick would be automatically recognised, but I cannot get it to work
>> > despite trying some of the advice elsewhere on this site. Is it a reasonable
>> > idea to directly connect to the USB using an adapter and, if so, how do I get
>> > the Computer to recognise the Joystick.
>> > Any advice gratefully received.
>> > Jim

Anonymous
May 4, 2005 11:13:02 PM

I like software for my old M.S. Sidewinder 3D pro (doesn't say "Plus" on the
bottom sticker)???? 4 buttons on stick, 4 on base, (8 in all)!! Plus: hat, &
throttle, and 2-way switch on bottom of base!! Can anybody HELP??!! possibly
a down load!!?? JACK

"The Moonlit Knight" wrote:

> I have an 'old' sidewinder 3D pro plus joystick that terminates with a 15pin
> canon connector. I recently acquired a new computer with OS XP Home but
> without a games adapter. I bought a 15pin to USB connector assuming that the
> Joystick would be automatically recognised, but I cannot get it to work
> despite trying some of the advice elsewhere on this site. Is it a reasonable
> idea to directly connect to the USB using an adapter and, if so, how do I get
> the Computer to recognise the Joystick.
> Any advice gratefully received.
> Jim
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 3:31:31 AM

Hi Jack,

Which operating system are you installing that on?

Here's the instructions for both the USB and the Gameport models:

The version 4 software for USB Sidewinders is XP compatible.
It gives you a warning, you can click OK and continue installing it.
I've had the same experiences with USB cam's & other devices.

The version 3 software, isn't compatible. It uses XP's drivers instead.
USB devices just plug and play. GamePort devices need some work:

To install a GamePort controller, Plug it in, click Start / Control Panel /
Switch to Classic view if you haven't already / click Game Controllers
Click Add... / Select Microsoft Sidewinder Auto Detect / OK / OK.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

"JACK-O-TRADES" <JACK-O-TRADES@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I like software for my old M.S. Sidewinder 3D pro (doesn't say "Plus" on the
| bottom sticker)???? 4 buttons on stick, 4 on base, (8 in all)!! Plus: hat, &
| throttle, and 2-way switch on bottom of base!! Can anybody HELP??!! possibly
| a down load!!?? JACK
|
| "The Moonlit Knight" wrote:
|
| > I have an 'old' sidewinder 3D pro plus joystick that terminates with a 15pin
| > canon connector. I recently acquired a new computer with OS XP Home but
| > without a games adapter. I bought a 15pin to USB connector assuming that the
| > Joystick would be automatically recognised, but I cannot get it to work
| > despite trying some of the advice elsewhere on this site. Is it a reasonable
| > idea to directly connect to the USB using an adapter and, if so, how do I get
| > the Computer to recognise the Joystick.
| > Any advice gratefully received.
| > Jim
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 3:31:32 AM

HEY JIM, I have WIN: "ME", joystick has 15?? pin game port connector! Drives
where deleted somehow (bought computer used)! When I try to ADD Joystick, A
message appears: Says to insert software disk so it can install drives??!
I think I need the software!? THANKS FER THE ADVICE!!! JACK
"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Jack,
>
> Which operating system are you installing that on?
>
> Here's the instructions for both the USB and the Gameport models:
>
> The version 4 software for USB Sidewinders is XP compatible.
> It gives you a warning, you can click OK and continue installing it.
> I've had the same experiences with USB cam's & other devices.
>
> The version 3 software, isn't compatible. It uses XP's drivers instead.
> USB devices just plug and play. GamePort devices need some work:
>
> To install a GamePort controller, Plug it in, click Start / Control Panel /
> Switch to Classic view if you haven't already / click Game Controllers
> Click Add... / Select Microsoft Sidewinder Auto Detect / OK / OK.
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
>

> "JACK-O-TRADES" <JACK-O-TRADES@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> |I like software for my old M.S. Sidewinder 3D pro (doesn't say "Plus" on the
> | bottom sticker)???? 4 buttons on stick, 4 on base, (8 in all)!! Plus: hat, &
> | throttle, and 2-way switch on bottom of base!! Can anybody HELP??!! possibly
> | a down load!!?? JACK
> |
> | "The Moonlit Knight" wrote:
> |
> | > I have an 'old' sidewinder 3D pro plus joystick that terminates with a 15pin
> | > canon connector. I recently acquired a new computer with OS XP Home but
> | > without a games adapter. I bought a 15pin to USB connector assuming that the
> | > Joystick would be automatically recognised, but I cannot get it to work
> | > despite trying some of the advice elsewhere on this site. Is it a reasonable
> | > idea to directly connect to the USB using an adapter and, if so, how do I get
> | > the Computer to recognise the Joystick.
> | > Any advice gratefully received.
> | > Jim

Anonymous
May 5, 2005 5:48:39 PM

Hi Jack,

You can download the 3.02 Software / Driver directy from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/sidewinder/downloads/...

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games

"JACK-O-TRADES" <JACKOTRADES@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1B23F0D6-528C-4073-AE76-4D88CD114CFF@microsoft.com...
| HEY JIM, I have WIN: "ME", joystick has 15?? pin game port connector! Drives
| where deleted somehow (bought computer used)! When I try to ADD Joystick, A
| message appears: Says to insert software disk so it can install drives??!
| I think I need the software!? THANKS FER THE ADVICE!!! JACK
| "Jimmy S." wrote:
|
| > Hi Jack,
| >
| > Which operating system are you installing that on?
| >
| > Here's the instructions for both the USB and the Gameport models:
| >
| > The version 4 software for USB Sidewinders is XP compatible.
| > It gives you a warning, you can click OK and continue installing it.
| > I've had the same experiences with USB cam's & other devices.
| >
| > The version 3 software, isn't compatible. It uses XP's drivers instead.
| > USB devices just plug and play. GamePort devices need some work:
| >
| > To install a GamePort controller, Plug it in, click Start / Control Panel /
| > Switch to Classic view if you haven't already / click Game Controllers
| > Click Add... / Select Microsoft Sidewinder Auto Detect / OK / OK.
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
| > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| >

| > "JACK-O-TRADES" <JACK-O-TRADES@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > |I like software for my old M.S. Sidewinder 3D pro (doesn't say "Plus" on the
| > | bottom sticker)???? 4 buttons on stick, 4 on base, (8 in all)!! Plus: hat, &
| > | throttle, and 2-way switch on bottom of base!! Can anybody HELP??!! possibly
| > | a down load!!?? JACK
| > |
| > | "The Moonlit Knight" wrote:
| > |
> [...]
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 5:48:40 PM

Hey Jim, Thankyou!!!! Hope I can stay connected long enuff(sic) to D.L.!?
Forgot ta say J.S. has twist handle too!! Sinc: JACK

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Jack,
>
> You can download the 3.02 Software / Driver directy from here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/sidewinder/downloads/...
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

> Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games
> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
>
> "JACK-O-TRADES" <JACKOTRADES@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1B23F0D6-528C-4073-AE76-4D88CD114CFF@microsoft.com...
> | HEY JIM, I have WIN: "ME", joystick has 15?? pin game port connector! Drives
> | where deleted somehow (bought computer used)! When I try to ADD Joystick, A
> | message appears: Says to insert software disk so it can install drives??!
> | I think I need the software!? THANKS FER THE ADVICE!!! JACK
> | "Jimmy S." wrote:
> |
> | > Hi Jack,
> | >
> | > Which operating system are you installing that on?
> | >
> | > Here's the instructions for both the USB and the Gameport models:
> | >
> | > The version 4 software for USB Sidewinders is XP compatible.
> | > It gives you a warning, you can click OK and continue installing it.
> | > I've had the same experiences with USB cam's & other devices.
> | >
> | > The version 3 software, isn't compatible. It uses XP's drivers instead.
> | > USB devices just plug and play. GamePort devices need some work:
> | >
> | > To install a GamePort controller, Plug it in, click Start / Control Panel /
> | > Switch to Classic view if you haven't already / click Game Controllers
> | > Click Add... / Select Microsoft Sidewinder Auto Detect / OK / OK.
> | >
> | > --
> | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
> | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> | >
> | > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> | > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
> | > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
> | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
> | > _________________________________________________________
> | >

> | > "JACK-O-TRADES" <JACK-O-TRADES@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | > |
> | > |

Anonymous
May 5, 2005 9:35:57 PM

Sweet! Hope that works out for you. :-)

Cheers,
Jimmy.

"JACK-O-TRADES" <JACKOTRADES@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:21ED0BB3-3025-40D4-8B5E-E0F11B1C487E@microsoft.com...
| Hey Jim, Thankyou!!!! Hope I can stay connected long enuff(sic) to D.L.!?
| Forgot ta say J.S. has twist handle too!! Sinc: JACK
|
| "Jimmy S." wrote:
|
| > Hi Jack,
| >
| > You can download the 3.02 Software / Driver directy from here:
| > http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/sidewinder/downloads/...
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
| > Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games
| > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| >
| > "JACK-O-TRADES" <JACKOTRADES@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | HEY JIM, I have WIN: "ME", joystick has 15?? pin game port connector! Drives
| > | where deleted somehow (bought computer used)! When I try to ADD Joystick, A
| > | message appears: Says to insert software disk so it can install drives??!
| > | I think I need the software!? THANKS FER THE ADVICE!!! JACK
| > | "Jimmy S." wrote:
| > |
> [...]
| > | > |
| > | > |