Sidewinder Joystick: 15pin to USB

I have an 'old' sidewinder 3D pro plus joystick that terminates with a 15pin
canon connector. I recently acquired a new computer with OS XP Home but
without a games adapter. I bought a 15pin to USB connector assuming that the
Joystick would be automatically recognised, but I cannot get it to work
despite trying some of the advice elsewhere on this site. Is it a reasonable
idea to directly connect to the USB using an adapter and, if so, how do I get
the Computer to recognise the Joystick.
Any advice gratefully received.
Jim
14 answers Last reply
More about sidewinder joystick 15pin

    You probably have an adaptor to make an ANALOG joystick work on a USB
    port. Your stick is probably DIGITAL, which uses the serial MIDI
    capabilities on the standard PC game port. You need to get a sound card
    with a standard game port OR a replacement joystick that connects
    directly to a USB port. A few digital controlers came with propriatary
    adaptors, but you probably have to get the adaptor that was custom
    designed to work with your model of controler.

    The Moonlit Knight wrote:

    > I have an 'old' sidewinder 3D pro plus joystick that terminates with a 15pin
    > canon connector. I recently acquired a new computer with OS XP Home but
    > without a games adapter. I bought a 15pin to USB connector assuming that the
    > Joystick would be automatically recognised, but I cannot get it to work
    > despite trying some of the advice elsewhere on this site. Is it a reasonable
    > idea to directly connect to the USB using an adapter and, if so, how do I get
    > the Computer to recognise the Joystick.
    > Any advice gratefully received.
    > Jim

    Hi,

    I had the same problem and the advice was that I needed an other soundcard
    in my computer. But before you do so, please check the quality of your
    current sound card. In my new comp I had a very good sound card and to have
    that replaced meant high cost. If you have a very good one and you buy a
    cheap one you may be disappointed. I finally decided to buy a new stick.

    Good luck,
    John, femboxer@hotmail.com

    "RobertVA" wrote:

    > You probably have an adaptor to make an ANALOG joystick work on a USB
    > port. Your stick is probably DIGITAL, which uses the serial MIDI
    > capabilities on the standard PC game port. You need to get a sound card
    > with a standard game port OR a replacement joystick that connects
    > directly to a USB port. A few digital controlers came with propriatary
    > adaptors, but you probably have to get the adaptor that was custom
    > designed to work with your model of controler.
    >
    > The Moonlit Knight wrote:
    >
    > > I have an 'old' sidewinder 3D pro plus joystick that terminates with a 15pin
    > > canon connector. I recently acquired a new computer with OS XP Home but
    > > without a games adapter. I bought a 15pin to USB connector assuming that the
    > > Joystick would be automatically recognised, but I cannot get it to work
    > > despite trying some of the advice elsewhere on this site. Is it a reasonable
    > > idea to directly connect to the USB using an adapter and, if so, how do I get
    > > the Computer to recognise the Joystick.
    > > Any advice gratefully received.
    > > Jim

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    I'm in exactly the same situation - I was going to put the soundcard from my
    old PC into my new machine, and disable it except for the gameport, but the
    card is too big for the slots in the new PC - I'm not technical so I don't
    know what the difference is. I've noticed some cheap soundcards on ebay which
    look like they'll fit, so I might get one and do it that way....not sure if
    this will work though.

    I really like my old forcefeedback pro, and I'm reluctant to discard it and
    spend on a new USB model :(

    "john" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I had the same problem and the advice was that I needed an other soundcard
    > in my computer. But before you do so, please check the quality of your
    > current sound card. In my new comp I had a very good sound card and to have
    > that replaced meant high cost. If you have a very good one and you buy a
    > cheap one you may be disappointed. I finally decided to buy a new stick.
    >
    > Good luck,
    > John, femboxer@hotmail.com
    >

    > "RobertVA" wrote:
    >
    > > You probably have an adaptor to make an ANALOG joystick work on a USB
    > > port. Your stick is probably DIGITAL, which uses the serial MIDI
    > > capabilities on the standard PC game port. You need to get a sound card
    > > with a standard game port OR a replacement joystick that connects
    > > directly to a USB port. A few digital controlers came with propriatary
    > > adaptors, but you probably have to get the adaptor that was custom
    > > designed to work with your model of controler.
    > >
    > > The Moonlit Knight wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have an 'old' sidewinder 3D pro plus joystick that terminates with a 15pin
    > > > canon connector. I recently acquired a new computer with OS XP Home but
    > > > without a games adapter. I bought a 15pin to USB connector assuming that the
    > > > Joystick would be automatically recognised, but I cannot get it to work
    > > > despite trying some of the advice elsewhere on this site. Is it a reasonable
    > > > idea to directly connect to the USB using an adapter and, if so, how do I get
    > > > the Computer to recognise the Joystick.
    > > > Any advice gratefully received.
    > > > Jim

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    If you prefer the sound hardware on your motherboard, you can continue
    to use it. Many motherboards with onboard sound lack the game port
    though. You only need the game port on the expansion card. An older ISA
    slot sound card woun't fit in the PCI slots most late model computers
    have. You need a PCI slot card.

    john wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I had the same problem and the advice was that I needed an other soundcard
    > in my computer. But before you do so, please check the quality of your
    > current sound card. In my new comp I had a very good sound card and to have
    > that replaced meant high cost. If you have a very good one and you buy a
    > cheap one you may be disappointed. I finally decided to buy a new stick.
    >
    > Good luck,
    > John, femboxer@hotmail.com
    >

    > "RobertVA" wrote:
    >

    >>You probably have an adaptor to make an ANALOG joystick work on a USB
    >>port. Your stick is probably DIGITAL, which uses the serial MIDI
    >>capabilities on the standard PC game port. You need to get a sound card
    >>with a standard game port OR a replacement joystick that connects
    >>directly to a USB port. A few digital controlers came with propriatary
    >>adaptors, but you probably have to get the adaptor that was custom
    >>designed to work with your model of controler.
    >>
    >>The Moonlit Knight wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have an 'old' sidewinder 3D pro plus joystick that terminates with a 15pin
    >>>canon connector. I recently acquired a new computer with OS XP Home but
    >>>without a games adapter. I bought a 15pin to USB connector assuming that the
    >>>Joystick would be automatically recognised, but I cannot get it to work
    >>>despite trying some of the advice elsewhere on this site. Is it a reasonable
    >>>idea to directly connect to the USB using an adapter and, if so, how do I get
    >>>the Computer to recognise the Joystick.
    >>>Any advice gratefully received.
    >>>Jim

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    More than likely, it won't work. The 3D Pro joystick was physically
    designed as a gameport only device. Simply getting an adapter won't work
    because the joystick is only designed to work with a gameport..

    Steve
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    I would agree... Long story short, you'd probably have to write your own
    driver to make it work properly... but I have a theory as to how it could
    work... read on if you're interested in my mindless ramblings...

    AFAIK USB devices communicate in an entirely different fashion from say a 15
    pin Joystick or a serial mouse. USB is designed so the computer recieves the
    final signal from the device, that is, the computer dosn't have to interpret
    it with special software like drivers or config prgrams, although you can
    still use them. The SW 3d Pro is essentially an analog stick with a digital
    converter. (I owned one and have taken it apart and rebuilt it more then
    once) But either way, the signals come out of the controller and the
    computer has to inerpret them with a driver. Unless the old Sidewinder
    software could be configured to recognise a USB Port as a Standard PC game
    port...

    Hope that helps...

    "Steve Sullivan" wrote:

    > More than likely, it won't work. The 3D Pro joystick was physically
    > designed as a gameport only device. Simply getting an adapter won't work
    > because the joystick is only designed to work with a gameport..
    >
    > Steve

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    I have a sidewinder game pad for windows 95-98 that im trying to install the
    software but it tell me that the gamecard is not there or not configure
    properly or can not find file.

    "RobertVA" wrote:

    > You probably have an adaptor to make an ANALOG joystick work on a USB
    > port. Your stick is probably DIGITAL, which uses the serial MIDI
    > capabilities on the standard PC game port. You need to get a sound card
    > with a standard game port OR a replacement joystick that connects
    > directly to a USB port. A few digital controlers came with propriatary
    > adaptors, but you probably have to get the adaptor that was custom
    > designed to work with your model of controler.
    >
    > The Moonlit Knight wrote:
    >
    > > I have an 'old' sidewinder 3D pro plus joystick that terminates with a 15pin
    > > canon connector. I recently acquired a new computer with OS XP Home but
    > > without a games adapter. I bought a 15pin to USB connector assuming that the
    > > Joystick would be automatically recognised, but I cannot get it to work
    > > despite trying some of the advice elsewhere on this site. Is it a reasonable
    > > idea to directly connect to the USB using an adapter and, if so, how do I get
    > > the Computer to recognise the Joystick.
    > > Any advice gratefully received.
    > > Jim

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    Hi,

    I've replied to the latest of your several posts. :-)

    Cheers,
    Jimmy.

    "sidewinder game pad" <sidewindergamepad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a sidewinder game pad for windows 95-98 that im trying to install the
    > software but it tell me that the gamecard is not there or not configure
    > properly or can not find file.
    >
    > "RobertVA" wrote:
    >
    >> You probably have an adaptor to make an ANALOG joystick work on a USB
    >> port. Your stick is probably DIGITAL, which uses the serial MIDI
    >> capabilities on the standard PC game port. You need to get a sound card
    >> with a standard game port OR a replacement joystick that connects
    >> directly to a USB port. A few digital controlers came with propriatary
    >> adaptors, but you probably have to get the adaptor that was custom
    >> designed to work with your model of controler.
    >>
    >> The Moonlit Knight wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have an 'old' sidewinder 3D pro plus joystick that terminates with a 15pin
    >> > canon connector. I recently acquired a new computer with OS XP Home but
    >> > without a games adapter. I bought a 15pin to USB connector assuming that the
    >> > Joystick would be automatically recognised, but I cannot get it to work
    >> > despite trying some of the advice elsewhere on this site. Is it a reasonable
    >> > idea to directly connect to the USB using an adapter and, if so, how do I get
    >> > the Computer to recognise the Joystick.
    >> > Any advice gratefully received.
    >> > Jim

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    I like software for my old M.S. Sidewinder 3D pro (doesn't say "Plus" on the
    bottom sticker)???? 4 buttons on stick, 4 on base, (8 in all)!! Plus: hat, &
    throttle, and 2-way switch on bottom of base!! Can anybody HELP??!! possibly
    a down load!!?? JACK

    "The Moonlit Knight" wrote:

    > I have an 'old' sidewinder 3D pro plus joystick that terminates with a 15pin
    > canon connector. I recently acquired a new computer with OS XP Home but
    > without a games adapter. I bought a 15pin to USB connector assuming that the
    > Joystick would be automatically recognised, but I cannot get it to work
    > despite trying some of the advice elsewhere on this site. Is it a reasonable
    > idea to directly connect to the USB using an adapter and, if so, how do I get
    > the Computer to recognise the Joystick.
    > Any advice gratefully received.
    > Jim
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    Hi Jack,

    Which operating system are you installing that on?

    Here's the instructions for both the USB and the Gameport models:

    The version 4 software for USB Sidewinders is XP compatible.
    It gives you a warning, you can click OK and continue installing it.
    I've had the same experiences with USB cam's & other devices.

    The version 3 software, isn't compatible. It uses XP's drivers instead.
    USB devices just plug and play. GamePort devices need some work:

    To install a GamePort controller, Plug it in, click Start / Control Panel /
    Switch to Classic view if you haven't already / click Game Controllers
    Click Add... / Select Microsoft Sidewinder Auto Detect / OK / OK.

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "JACK-O-TRADES" <JACK-O-TRADES@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    |I like software for my old M.S. Sidewinder 3D pro (doesn't say "Plus" on the
    | bottom sticker)???? 4 buttons on stick, 4 on base, (8 in all)!! Plus: hat, &
    | throttle, and 2-way switch on bottom of base!! Can anybody HELP??!! possibly
    | a down load!!?? JACK
    |
    | "The Moonlit Knight" wrote:
    |
    | > I have an 'old' sidewinder 3D pro plus joystick that terminates with a 15pin
    | > canon connector. I recently acquired a new computer with OS XP Home but
    | > without a games adapter. I bought a 15pin to USB connector assuming that the
    | > Joystick would be automatically recognised, but I cannot get it to work
    | > despite trying some of the advice elsewhere on this site. Is it a reasonable
    | > idea to directly connect to the USB using an adapter and, if so, how do I get
    | > the Computer to recognise the Joystick.
    | > Any advice gratefully received.
    | > Jim
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    HEY JIM, I have WIN: "ME", joystick has 15?? pin game port connector! Drives
    where deleted somehow (bought computer used)! When I try to ADD Joystick, A
    message appears: Says to insert software disk so it can install drives??!
    I think I need the software!? THANKS FER THE ADVICE!!! JACK
    "Jimmy S." wrote:

    > Hi Jack,
    >
    > Which operating system are you installing that on?
    >
    > Here's the instructions for both the USB and the Gameport models:
    >
    > The version 4 software for USB Sidewinders is XP compatible.
    > It gives you a warning, you can click OK and continue installing it.
    > I've had the same experiences with USB cam's & other devices.
    >
    > The version 3 software, isn't compatible. It uses XP's drivers instead.
    > USB devices just plug and play. GamePort devices need some work:
    >
    > To install a GamePort controller, Plug it in, click Start / Control Panel /
    > Switch to Classic view if you haven't already / click Game Controllers
    > Click Add... / Select Microsoft Sidewinder Auto Detect / OK / OK.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
    > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    >

    > "JACK-O-TRADES" <JACK-O-TRADES@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > |I like software for my old M.S. Sidewinder 3D pro (doesn't say "Plus" on the
    > | bottom sticker)???? 4 buttons on stick, 4 on base, (8 in all)!! Plus: hat, &
    > | throttle, and 2-way switch on bottom of base!! Can anybody HELP??!! possibly
    > | a down load!!?? JACK
    > |
    > | "The Moonlit Knight" wrote:
    > |
    > | > I have an 'old' sidewinder 3D pro plus joystick that terminates with a 15pin
    > | > canon connector. I recently acquired a new computer with OS XP Home but
    > | > without a games adapter. I bought a 15pin to USB connector assuming that the
    > | > Joystick would be automatically recognised, but I cannot get it to work
    > | > despite trying some of the advice elsewhere on this site. Is it a reasonable
    > | > idea to directly connect to the USB using an adapter and, if so, how do I get
    > | > the Computer to recognise the Joystick.
    > | > Any advice gratefully received.
    > | > Jim

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    Hi Jack,

    You can download the 3.02 Software / Driver directy from here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/sidewinder/downloads/302.asp

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games

    "JACK-O-TRADES" <JACKOTRADES@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1B23F0D6-528C-4073-AE76-4D88CD114CFF@microsoft.com...
    | HEY JIM, I have WIN: "ME", joystick has 15?? pin game port connector! Drives
    | where deleted somehow (bought computer used)! When I try to ADD Joystick, A
    | message appears: Says to insert software disk so it can install drives??!
    | I think I need the software!? THANKS FER THE ADVICE!!! JACK
    | "Jimmy S." wrote:
    |
    | > Hi Jack,
    | >
    | > Which operating system are you installing that on?
    | >
    | > Here's the instructions for both the USB and the Gameport models:
    | >
    | > The version 4 software for USB Sidewinders is XP compatible.
    | > It gives you a warning, you can click OK and continue installing it.
    | > I've had the same experiences with USB cam's & other devices.
    | >
    | > The version 3 software, isn't compatible. It uses XP's drivers instead.
    | > USB devices just plug and play. GamePort devices need some work:
    | >
    | > To install a GamePort controller, Plug it in, click Start / Control Panel /
    | > Switch to Classic view if you haven't already / click Game Controllers
    | > Click Add... / Select Microsoft Sidewinder Auto Detect / OK / OK.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    | >
    | > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    | > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
    | > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    | >

    | > "JACK-O-TRADES" <JACK-O-TRADES@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > |I like software for my old M.S. Sidewinder 3D pro (doesn't say "Plus" on the
    | > | bottom sticker)???? 4 buttons on stick, 4 on base, (8 in all)!! Plus: hat, &
    | > | throttle, and 2-way switch on bottom of base!! Can anybody HELP??!! possibly
    | > | a down load!!?? JACK
    | > |
    | > | "The Moonlit Knight" wrote:
    | > |
> [...]
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    Hey Jim, Thankyou!!!! Hope I can stay connected long enuff(sic) to D.L.!?
    Forgot ta say J.S. has twist handle too!! Sinc: JACK

    "Jimmy S." wrote:

    > Hi Jack,
    >
    > You can download the 3.02 Software / Driver directy from here:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/sidewinder/downloads/302.asp
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    > Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games
    > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    >
    > "JACK-O-TRADES" <JACKOTRADES@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1B23F0D6-528C-4073-AE76-4D88CD114CFF@microsoft.com...
    > | HEY JIM, I have WIN: "ME", joystick has 15?? pin game port connector! Drives
    > | where deleted somehow (bought computer used)! When I try to ADD Joystick, A
    > | message appears: Says to insert software disk so it can install drives??!
    > | I think I need the software!? THANKS FER THE ADVICE!!! JACK
    > | "Jimmy S." wrote:
    > |
    > | > Hi Jack,
    > | >
    > | > Which operating system are you installing that on?
    > | >
    > | > Here's the instructions for both the USB and the Gameport models:
    > | >
    > | > The version 4 software for USB Sidewinders is XP compatible.
    > | > It gives you a warning, you can click OK and continue installing it.
    > | > I've had the same experiences with USB cam's & other devices.
    > | >
    > | > The version 3 software, isn't compatible. It uses XP's drivers instead.
    > | > USB devices just plug and play. GamePort devices need some work:
    > | >
    > | > To install a GamePort controller, Plug it in, click Start / Control Panel /
    > | > Switch to Classic view if you haven't already / click Game Controllers
    > | > Click Add... / Select Microsoft Sidewinder Auto Detect / OK / OK.
    > | >
    > | > --
    > | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    > | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > | >
    > | > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    > | > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
    > | > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    > | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    > | > _________________________________________________________
    > | >

    > | > "JACK-O-TRADES" <JACK-O-TRADES@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | > |
    > | > |

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    Sweet! Hope that works out for you. :-)

    Cheers,
    Jimmy.

    "JACK-O-TRADES" <JACKOTRADES@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:21ED0BB3-3025-40D4-8B5E-E0F11B1C487E@microsoft.com...
    | Hey Jim, Thankyou!!!! Hope I can stay connected long enuff(sic) to D.L.!?
    | Forgot ta say J.S. has twist handle too!! Sinc: JACK
    |
    | "Jimmy S." wrote:
    |
    | > Hi Jack,
    | >
    | > You can download the 3.02 Software / Driver directy from here:
    | > http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/sidewinder/downloads/302.asp
    | >
    | > --
    | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    | >
    | > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
    | > Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games
    | > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    | >
    | > "JACK-O-TRADES" <JACKOTRADES@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > | HEY JIM, I have WIN: "ME", joystick has 15?? pin game port connector! Drives
    | > | where deleted somehow (bought computer used)! When I try to ADD Joystick, A
    | > | message appears: Says to insert software disk so it can install drives??!
    | > | I think I need the software!? THANKS FER THE ADVICE!!! JACK
    | > | "Jimmy S." wrote:
    | > |
> [...]
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
> [...]